Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My father in law hunted exclusively with the 220 swift. It was almost 20 years ago my father in law passed. In the 6 years I was blessed to hunt with him it was the only rifle he use. He had taken 17 elk with the 220 swift. It seems recently there has been a lot of interest in whether or not anyone will offer a properly twisted 22-250. Me, I think Im going to stick with my 8 twist 223 and the 60 grain partition

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/17/16.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 22 cal's are not legal in most states for hunting elk, as you suggest. However since you are asking about "big game", they work great on deer where it is legal to use them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've used both, but quit because the bullets kept bouncing off... whistle

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wouldn't shoot a bull elk with either of those. Maybe a calf if I was starving and it was the only gun available.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The 22 cal's are not legal in most states for hunting elk, as you suggest. However since you are asking about "big game", they work great on deer where it is legal to use them...

In Montana there is no caliber restriction
for big game other than as specified for shotguns

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's cool 17 elk with a swift. Guess he didn't read where guys who hadn't shot elk with one(maybe no elk with anything) said it was a poor choice. Maybe something to that whole shot placement thing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Trystan
My father in law hunted exclusively with the 220 swift. It was almost 20 years ago my father in law passed. In the 6 years I was blessed to hunt with him it was the only rifle he use. He had taken 17 elk with the 220 swift. It seems recently there has been a lot of interest in whether or not anyone will offer a properly twisted 22-250. Me, I think Im going to stick with my 8 twist 223 and the 60 grain partition

Trystan
The 60 grain partition should stabilize in a 12 twist and there are several .22-250's with 12 twist on the market. Other tough bullets that will stabilize in a 12 twist are the 50 gr Barnes TTSX the 45 and 53 gr TSX, the 64 gr. Win power point and the 50 gr. Hornady GMX.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Idaho has no caliber restrictions either...as long as it is a centerfire. A .17 Hornet is perfectly legal for elk.

As to the 22-250 vs 223, I have killed plenty of deer and antelope with both. Never saw much a difference but I do think speed helps with the .22 cals for bigger critters. The smallest I have killed an elk with is a 6mm, and it worked just as well as anything else.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think you are right on, Id stick with the 8 twist .223 before a 14 twist .22-250.

If you can get a tight twist .22-250 you might want to give it a go... Im sure it will work...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Either cartridge will grab 'em by the pussy but I've never found anything wrong with more speed.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Plenty of game has been killed with 22 caliber cartridges, but dead is sometimes better with a larger caliber. People will continue to hunt big game with small calibers with plenty of passion that they are suitable.

If there wasn't some truth to larger calibers having better killing power, there wouldn't be any limitations on acceptable cartridges in Africa.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Plenty of game has been killed with 22 caliber cartridges, but dead is sometimes better with a larger caliber. People will continue to hunt big game with small calibers with plenty of passion that they are suitable.

If there wasn't some truth to larger calibers having better killing power, there wouldn't be any limitations on acceptable cartridges in Africa.

Compelling, 3rd world shietholes are the bar by which we should judge.

Tell me your mom swallowed the other loads.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Of course the resident know it all with a filthy mouth and less experience on anything but Sitka deer and Alaska weather, continues to pontificate. Your experience is unarguable with the time you have spent posting on the Campfire, but your real life experience would be a best seller on the fiction shelf at any cheap bookstore.

Come on with something else you pathetic loser. Being highest posting member of the Campfire will be all that anyone will see written on your tombstone and even Kentucky would prefer it doesn't end up there.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Ever swallowed a grenade?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Of course the resident know it all with a filthy mouth and less experience on anything but Sitka deer and Alaska weather, continues to pontificate. Your experience is unarguable with the time you have spent posting on the Campfire, but your real life experience would be a best seller on the fiction shelf at any cheap bookstore.

Come on with something else you pathetic loser. Being highest posting member of the Campfire will be all that anyone will see written on your tombstone and even Kentucky would prefer it doesn't end up there.

Is that a yes?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

You saying a grenade is worse than a 223?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's really stupid.

Fave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

You saying a grenade is worse than a 223?

Yep, you are a stupid son of a BITCH.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You are a real piece of work. You want to insult people with these kind of comments, I would like to see it when you said that to the right person and not safe at home with your computer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You are a real piece of work. You want to insult people with these kind of comments, I would like to see it when you said that to the right person and not safe at home with your computer.

I'm sure you're just as much of a dumbshiet in person. Guessing it hurts, but you're too f*ckig stupid to know.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.