Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 3 problems with mine

Pulling bullets, my regular collet puller does not work, well maybe it will but I haven't figured out how yet frown Had to cut the handle off the top of the puller in order to try and tighten onto the bullet with a wrench, but still didn't work

My 22-250 seater came with an "extended shell holder" and the automatic case head holder will not hold it. Thinking about just taking the shell plate off and setting it on the press itself

Loading my 338RUM, can't get the loaded case out without partially pulling the die out of the press

But haven't had it long enough, will figure it out

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the rcbs summit. I got mine on super sale out of the cabelas bargain cave on a whim to try somthing new. It's been great so far, only thing I haven't tried is the bullet puller, which I could see being a problem. I like it because of the smaller foot print and less torque on my bench. My rock chucker is going to be sold at the next gun show probably.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RiverRider
but I don't like the way RCBS and the other manufacturers' lock rings work with the Co-Ax.

What problem do you have with them, and is it because of the ball detent I mentioned above?

I use lock rings from all of the common manufacturers, and have no issues with any of them except a very old RCBS or Redding set that was just too thick for the slot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just don't like em, that's all.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK fellers, I just bought one and the short handle.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's pretty simple really.

Check your ammo to see how straight it is - when I moved to the co-ax it improved, so done deal... it did tighten up my groups at 600 to 1000 yards.

All good.

sackett Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I messed with it a little more. Got a little more comfortable. I did find that I wanted the short handle (bought one on e-bay for $ 17 in my door), so hopefully that will help as well. When I built my present table, I made it a little taller because I typically stand for the press operations and found a comfortable T-7 usage height. With the co-ax, the handle is much higher, so hopefully the shortie handle will help as well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It does.. smile.

I tried the long and hated it - I'm not even sure why they put them on it.

the short one with the ball on the end is what I have, and it works fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aww, man...there goes another $34.00!
cool

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Aww, man...there goes another $34.00!
cool

There is a couple of nice accessories for the co-ax on that page. Already have a short handle but I believe I might like that off set one. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Midway carries those too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
It's pretty simple really.

Check your ammo to see how straight it is - when I moved to the co-ax it improved, so done deal... it did tighten up my groups at 600 to 1000 yards.

All good.

YES!....Same here!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just graduated from an old Hornady 007 press that I've used for about thirty years to my new Co-Ax. Love it. It produces nice straight ammo with less runout. I like the primer seater for making fussy precision ammo. It's not as nice to seat bullets with as the old style press, but seats 'em straight!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I went from a redding t7 to RCBS and now to the Co-Ax.

Hands down I like the Co-Ax the best though I did keep my RCBS for when I full length size cases every 4th or 5th firing right after I anneal brass.

Someone who likes full length sizing everytime may not appreciate the Co-Ax as much as some of the other presses.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Trystan

Someone who likes full length sizing everytime may not appreciate the Co-Ax as much as some of the other presses.

Why? Having used a Co-Ax for about 10 years now, I've never encountered any reason to make the statement you made.

If anything, the Co-Ax is a little easier than many others for heavy sizing jobs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love my Co-Ax.

I have loaded up to 500-3 1/4" nitro no problems.

Don't like the primimg feature, prefer a benchmounted RCBS Auto Primer for that.

Happy reloading, Chris

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As for the pure strength of a Co-Ax, there was something in a Forster ad some time ago (or perhaps in the paperwork that came with the press) regarding this.

Reportedly, Forster ran a handful of fired & unlubed .300 H&H cases through a sizing die without incident.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sackett

Any of you guys that have a Co-Ax, was it: "this is the best thing since sliced bread" right away? or was it "I'll learn to like it" and wound up liking it? Or: "I prefer using my previous press over the Co-Ax"?

I've been a Co-ax user for about 25 years. I got it after going through about a dozen presses looking for one that produced no run-out in loaded ammo, and indexing those others along the way for straightness. I don't believe there is just one press that is perfect for everything. I still use 5 different presses. The Lyman Orange Crusher was the best of the "O" style presses for producing straight ammo, and I still use it and the RCBS Rock Chucker for some loading and certain jobs, such as bullet pulling. Problem with most of the presses is that they are put together with parts machined and bought from various vendors and there's just a bunch of slop in all the machined surfaces and threads when the press is finally put together. Those loose tolerances can compound, or reduce straightness. When I discovered that is when I went to the Co-ax. I use a Dillon 650 for pistol ammo and a Lee O press for loading at a range, which is usually a waste of material and time for me.

The biggest problem with the Co-ax is the die lock rings you use. The die has to be perfectly perpendicular in the boss. If the threads in dies and lock rings have too much tolerance and the lock rings don't secure properly and squarely in the mating threads, the die will be canted and you'll not have straight ammo. I only use Forster or Lyman lock rings that can be clamped on the threads. I've had to flip those rings a couple of times to insure the die and rings are perfectly square. Too many issues with the rings that lock with a set screw.

If you just want the ammo to go "bang", any press will do. If you strive for perfect reloads you eliminate a lot of problems with the Co-ax. Yes, when I got mine I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. It would be the last press I'd get rid of. It all depends on what is important to you.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Trystan

Why? Having used a Co-Ax for about 10 years now, I've never encountered any reason to make the statement you made.

If anything, the Co-Ax is a little easier than many others for heavy sizing jobs.

Im not saying the Co-Ax doesnt size cases just fine. It works great. However Ive found at least with Redding sizing dies if I want to bump the shoulder it wont do it useing the universal shell holder the press comes with. The universal shell setup holds the case to low and the press will bottom out before you reach the shoulder. I ordered the standard shell holder attachment but for me its a pain in the ass to have to attach it and then take it back off. For me it was easier to just leave my RCBS rockchucker set up so i dont have to continually swap components.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,405
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.