Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by jeeper
Shipped same rifle from same service center to same smith about a year ago.

And why did you tell them what was inside? They have no right to ask. Machined parts.

At the USPS, you have to answer their questions. Hazards, liquid, etc., but you certainly don't have to tell them it's a gun.

I don't believe an unloaded long gun is liquid,hazardous or perishable.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always had good luck shipping USPS for long guns. Never had one turned down or even a sideways glance from the guys or gals behind the counter. Your milage may vary....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
UPS just told me they don't ship from firearm owner to ffl holding gunsmith anymore. I haven't tried USPS or FedEX . Are they the same ? UPS told me they quit doing this about a year ago. Do we now have to ship exclusively from FFL to FFL ?

You have to go to a UPS terminal near you to ship a firearm. YOu cannot go to a UPS store. THrow a copy of the FFL in the box with the gun and show the clerk the FFL if absolutely needed. No need to tell him what is in the box, if he asks be honest .

If the shipper is NOT an FFL he should not have a copy of the FFL, period. BATFE does not want FFLs to give copies to anyone except other FFLs. There is no duty to show UPS a FFL copy, period!

Read the Bold words in my post

Otherwise they don't ship it genius. I have been back and forth with them many times, they have the option to deny shipping it. How do they know the addressee is an FFl for one.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

And why did you tell them what was inside? They have no right to ask. Machined parts.

At the USPS, you have to answer their questions. Hazards, liquid, etc., but you certainly don't have to tell them it's a gun.

I just hand them the box at the USPS counter, they know what it is and as long as it is boxed right no issues

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
UPS just told me they don't ship from firearm owner to ffl holding gunsmith anymore. I haven't tried USPS or FedEX . Are they the same ? UPS told me they quit doing this about a year ago. Do we now have to ship exclusively from FFL to FFL ?

You have to go to a UPS terminal near you to ship a firearm. YOu cannot go to a UPS store. THrow a copy of the FFL in the box with the gun and show the clerk the FFL if absolutely needed. No need to tell him what is in the box, if he asks be honest .

If the shipper is NOT an FFL he should not have a copy of the FFL, period. BATFE does not want FFLs to give copies to anyone except other FFLs. There is no duty to show UPS a FFL copy, period!

Otherwise they don't ship it genius. I have been back and forth with them many times, they have the option to deny shipping it. How do they know the addressee is an FFl for one.

Point is, it is NEVER "... absolutely needed" and they cannot deny shipment just because it is a gun (assuming it is a UPS hub.) I have been through it more than once at different places and they get the message pretty quick when pressure is applied.

They would know the addressee is likely an FFL when you volunteer that the box contains a gun.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I just hand them the box at the USPS counter, they know what it is and as long as it is boxed right no issues

How do they know it is a gun at the USPS counter? They cannot legally ask if it is a gun and the box cannot have any marking to indicate it is a gun.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

The onus is on the guy shipping it, not the company.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

How do they know it is a gun at the USPS counter? They cannot legally ask if it is a gun and the box cannot have any marking to indicate it is a gun.

Betting my local post office see's a ton of guns shipped thru their facility. Very long box insured between 1 to 2k and sometimes more, yeah I think they know.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Point is, it is NEVER "... absolutely needed" and they cannot deny shipment just because it is a gun (assuming it is a UPS hub.) I have been through it more than once at different places and they get the message pretty quick when pressure is applied.

They would know the addressee is likely an FFL when you volunteer that the box contains a gun.

I don't volunteer the fact that it is a gun, if they ask me I answer them honestly.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had to educate my local USPS office on this matter.

It almost turned into an argument, but just be prepared to show them on their own website as well as the ATF website, and I don't see how they couldn't work with you then.

Now they are glad to ship rifles for me and they're quite a bit cheaper than UPS was.

I'd recommend seeing your local USPS, and honestly I don't understand why anyone thinks they need to hide what they're shipping or be shady about it. When I walk in now with a long box, they ask "Firearm?"...I say yep, no ammo, FFL info in the box. No fuss, no problems.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the purpose of putting the recipient's FFL in the box? Presumably they already have their own...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
What's the purpose of putting the recipient's FFL in the box? Presumably they already have their own...

Just what I was told to do....

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Holston

Ok. I'm telling you to send me all your ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reasoning I heard about inserting the recipients FFL in the box, was in case the shipping box is damaged and the address label is damaged and/or unreadable. After seeing the conditions of some of the boxes I've received goods in the mail, UPS, and Fedex, I think this is a wise precaution.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
The reasoning I heard about inserting the recipients FFL in the box, was in case the shipping box is damaged and the address label is damaged and/or unreadable. After seeing the conditions of some of the boxes I've received goods in the mail, UPS, and Fedex, I think this is a wise precaution.

Bob

Sorry Bob, bad answer... wink

First, BATFE says you, as a non-FFL, should not have the copy of the FFL to start with.

Second, an address inside is a fine idea, no need for it to be a piece of paper you are not supposed to have.

Third, it perpetuates the myth in some folks' eyes that they should get a copy they do not need, turning them into whiney little bitches.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

He has been told! Laughing!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I don't volunteer the fact that it is a gun, if they ask me I answer them honestly.

Do you honestly NOT GET the part where the PO is prohibited BY LAW from asking you what is in the box? They are allowed to ask just the question they all ask... or is playing obtuse just a game?

jeeper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update , didn't have the time to fight with UPS anymore.Rifle shipped out USPS with no hassle.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

He has been told! Laughing!

No whiny bitch here...

I used to have a war every time I used either of the UPS hubs in this area. Can't even begin to describe the hassle I used to have to go through, but it sounds like some people here know what I'm talking about.

I guess you guys just march into a place a tell them like it is and they immediately just do as you tell them to?? Never had that work out around here. And yes I know it's not right, and I know the people shipping was in the wrong, but it happened every single time. Didn't matter what supervisor or manager I talked to, or how many times I was reassured next time would go smooth.

So now, after about half hour of discussion, I just walk into my local USPS office and ship whatever I need. There's no more providing them visual confirmation that the gun is unloaded, and no searching the box for ammo as UPS did. I used to have to pack my rifles at the UPS hub, while they watched me.

What I'm saying is all I have to do is take what I have in there and ship it like anything else. If they want a piece of paper in the box that takes about 2 seconds to print out, and a verbal confirmation that there's no ammo in there, I'll be glad to give it them.

I'd feel like a whiny little bitch if I tried to argue otherwise.

And yea, I could lie, say it's machine parts, car part, golf clubs or whatever....but I can see that going bad if something happens and the gun is damaged on the way there. I've been down that road with UPS once before, and from my experience you better have everything in order if you want to get your insurance money back.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless UPS recently changed it's online shipping procedure, I have a account, have shipped a few guns to ffl' and was never asked what I was shipping while printing out my shipping label. I have brought labeled package to UPS centers, have had scheduled pickup(additional cost) and have just given them to the driver as he made deliveries with no problems,questions or any outside labeling stating what the package contained.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.