-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been tearin' stuff up,lookin' for my missin' VCR remote! If not found(and it AIN'T likely at this point),I'll have Momma buy a new clicker in the AM and get to tapin'.
<br>
<br>It was a good Concert,with a good representation of past and present work. I think you'd much like it............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,
<br>Much obliged-more than you think.Live Clapton on film is a rare thing.I can count on one hand how many I've found.
<br>
<br>Would also be tickled beyond belief,ifn you could send along a tape or two of your hunting exploits.Both me and Dingus would enjoy that to no end.
<br>
<br>Ifn you like guitar playing,the discs I am sending ought to be your cup of tea.You can directly compare the playing of Duane Allman to Warren Haynes,as they're both playing with the same band,just 30 years apart.Both are smokin.Of course,Gregg is top notch.Musta been sober.
<br>
<br>Oh they say that payback is double fold
<br>Just can't seem to remember who I bought and sold
<br>
<br>WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
I'se agreen wit u skinner, everbody knows whet wer sayin anyhows and lil things like lanquage and pernuncieation, hell thats jus all a bunch of hog waller. Don forgit the spellin, jeesh the speelin. gooooooly, you shure talk purty skinner, I'll bets you got a purdy mouth too!!!

SSH, Be vewy, vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Elmers'
What grieves me is other people post articles in the hopes of proving that they are better, or smarter than the rest of us.
<br>By using correct grammar and punctuation they feel that they are above all the lowlifes out there that enjoy coming on here and having their say. I do believe it's in our constitution, the part about free speech, but I don't recall anything that says free speech is only allowed if you know correct grammar and perfect punctuation. I'm far from perfect when it comes to grammar and such, but I do feel that I get my point across. I dont spend most of my day in front of a computer as I know many on this forum do. I have a life to live and things to do that are far more important than listening to people "greive" . Or maybe its "whine" ? I'm not really sure at this point.
<br>
<br>Regards
<br>John

SSH, Be vewy, vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Elmers'
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"By using correct grammar and punctuation they feel that they are above all the lowlifes out there that enjoy coming on here and having their say."
<br>What a combination of idiocy and calumny!
<br>
<br>I use correct grammar and punctuation because (a) that's the way I was raised, (b) it's easier than striving to write aberrantly, (c) it's easier and clearer for others to read, (d) it's courtesy in practice.
<br>
<br>By equating correctness with snobbery, you've just shown us all by crystalline example that YOU are the utlimate snob. You've expressed a snooty judgement of careful writers as you accuse us of attitudes and intentions that do NOT drive us to write as we do. You have expressed the attitude that you accuse us of, which you assume is our motivation but isn't. You've implied -- quite inaccurately -- that you know our inner minds, while at the same time you've TOLD us your own.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to let myself get upset at some posters but I don't anymore. Now days nothing bothers me, bothers me, bothers me. [Linked Image] If I find that a post or poster is starting to shake my chain I just skip over it and every thing is fine. Besides that there is an old saying that helps: Never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity."
<br>
<br>Excellent, Boggy! Thanks! (I needed that.)
<br>
<br>Somewhat along the same line of thought, it has just occurred to me that anyone who's incapable of feeling any given motivation is to some degree certain to misjudge it -- almost always negatively. The person who's incapable of any honorable or truly altruistic urge is inevitably certain to distrust and condemn such urges as if they were the mean, low, bestial urges that his impoverished mental portfolio comprises -- only worse, since they're not "honestly" overt or candid.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken, one of the first things you are taught in teaching or orating is NEVER talk over their level!
<br>Don't you know I'm dumb to big words hooked together like some of the young guys visiting this campfire? For me please watch the seldom used or heard words. They may be nothing for you but some of us pore folk can read Muleskinner without a dictionary.:) Glad to hear you are better and back posting again. Don't wan't to clutter this thread so will post to you up the way. Thanks, -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Occasioanlly I'll come across a word I'm not familiar with. I get annoyed with myself for not knowing it and look it up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Along the same lines, "consider the source" are always good words to keep in mind. An idiot telling you you are an idiot shouldn't bend you out of shape!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In forty-several years of both teaching and public speaking, I've never been told to talk DOWN to people as my "inferiors." Here and elsewhere, I speak and write to one and all as the equals (and above) that I always assume that you are (collectively and individually). My hair is down all the time (and swept off the floor many years ago <vbg>). Intentionally "talking down" to anyone is insulting. Besides, simple candid conversation should consist of whatever comes easily and naturally to one's lips from and through natural, unstudied, unpretentious thought. I can't possibly guess the limits or contents of any ONE other person's working vocabulary. I'd certainly have to struggle long and hard to converse with anyone in grunts and mumbles, even if it were possible. The desired absence of snobbery in ordinary human discourse includes both my easy, willing, automatic acceptance of others' ways of speaking, writing, and thinking -- and others' acceptance of mine. My acceptance of others' ways is deeply ingrained. It's who I am. Apparently and unfortunately, I'm finding that I'm not considered worthy of the same level and degree of respect in this regard that I automatically extend to others.
<br>
<br>I'm often accused of being "out of touch." But it's hard for me to see how, by being aware and conscious of the same and MORE than another, I'm LESS "in touch" than he is.
<br>
<br>The words we use come from and stand for the thoughts that we use. Having "a way with words," then, is facility with thoughts. I feel no obligation to apologize for, or to abandon, thinking that blesses me but doesn't interest anyone else.
<br>
<br>What this all comes down to, once more, is the deep, unmistakable, inescapable feeling that I don't belong here. I'm not ready to act on this feeling by going off somewhere to build my own lonely campfire, but that's the way adverse criticism of my natural, personal modes of thinking and expression affects me. I find it eerily strange and mystifying that Muleskinner's admittedly contrived style, which looks for all the world to me like talking down to others as perceived "inferiors," should be held up as a desirable model of expression -- preferable to my eye-to-eye, man-to-man, equal-to-equal style.
<br>
<br>If I didn't fully respect everyone here as my peer or better, I wouldn't assume (as I do) that you're able to read and understand what I write, the way I write it (if you're interested in it at all). So I wouldn't write my thoughts here for your consideration in the first place.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
demps,
<br>
<br>Guilty of same,now and again. I find it odd that some think their not being literate,is SOMEONE else's fault.
<br>
<br>My biggest trouble,is my very poor typing skills. Due to that,I'll make mistakes,that should have not been made(though I generally proof every Post I submit)and that is frustrating because I know better. Though certainly not educated,I care enough about the language we use,to try and communicate clearly with it's use. I figure it's only fair,to those trying to cypher those thoughts.
<br>
<br>I tend to over punctuate sentence structure,and it suprises me,that folks are gracious enough to let that glaring "no-no" slide. Perhaps it is because my speech patterning differs from other's and that is the context I apply to my text? Who knows.
<br>
<br>As far trying to make one's written word sound just as stupid as humanly possible,via guttural grunts,botched words and 1st grade sentence structure(favored here,by others,who are incensed one can't legally Marry blood kin)that impresses me none.
<br>
<br>No shame in bein' who you are,though much shame in poor acting.................
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

<br>Great Question - What bugs me the most is challenging the ivory tower types on the Internet. I have seen some fairly intelligent folks (who apparently possess little practical experience) regurgitate some really dumb theories regarding a wide range of subject matter.
<br>
<br>However, if you dare challenge them and their dumb notion, then you�re instantly attacked not only by the ivory tower type but also by their blind followers. Several have developed an omnipotent ego that cannot tolerate to be questioned. The day that you think you are too smart to be questioned is a sad day indeed.
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken, I have never thought you were talking up or down to anyone. It is refreshing to see true English in use and forces me to regain some of my "learning" from days past, thank you for sharing you wealth of experiance and knowledge here with us.
<br>
<br>As to the "opinion" thing, we all should be aware of the simile to a certain anatomical part of the body it is often compaired to!
<br>
<br>I choose to ignore those that offend "MY" sensabilities and not engage in verbal Judo, keeps my blood pressure in the desirable range. I will always start out with respect and expect it in return, that failing I will simply disengage.
<br>
<br>My opinions are mine and those of others are theiers, I will neither force mine upon them nor allow the reverse to take place.
<br>
<br>In close, you are a refreshing breath of fresh air far more often than not IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken:
<br> If you decide to build your "own lonely campfire", I doubt that you'll be lonely for long.
<br> In recent years it has become fashionable to speak in the manner of the uneducated or undereducated (this includes school teachers!). Unfortunately, those that have chosen to adopt this style of speech don't realize that they are doing more damage by their example.
<br> I have heard it said that "profanity is the result of a weak mind attempting to express itself forcefully". I believe that that rule can be applied to those that resort to insults rather than a well thought argument.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,
<br>
<br>I like to read your posts and I'd gladly read more if you'd write more! I've learned a few words, like "calumny", that I wouldn't have know if I hadn't first read them in your post.
<br>
<br>I have learned, and continue to learn, from the brothers of the campfire. I have learned a lot from you, 'Stick, Mule Deer, and a number of others. There are a few folks who I find annoying, for a variety of reasons, but I'm equally sure that the reverse is also true.
<br>
<br>I do think that, over time and after reading the body of a person's written work, you can tell who is knowledgeable in certain areas and who is making it up as he/she goes along.
<br>
<br>Respectfully,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stick
<br>I perceive your (long-noted) polysyndetation as an overt attempt at increasing clarity; an admirable trait in your role as 24hr apocrisiary.
<br>
<br>Aristotle listed seven moral virtues and eutrapely (pleasantness in conversation, not usually found in abridged dictionaries) was one of them. And just this morning I saw where you had proved you possessed it with a posted peace offering!
<br>
<br>Ken
<br>Sadly, your attempt at expergefaction will likely go unheeded by those you were attempting to reach. Everyone's loss. I very much enjoy your posts and frequent phrase turns! Please keep them coming!
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always read alot. When I was young, if I encountered a word I didn't understand, I would ask my Dad, and he would tell me to look it up. It got to the point where I would sit down to read with a dictionary next to me, and now I have a fairly decent vocabulary. I still look up unfamiliar words, as I encounter them almost daily. Many just ignore them.
<br>
<br>These internet forums are a source of entertainment for most of us, but I personally believe it is preferrable to learn something while being entertained, than to simply be entertained.
<br>
<br>I would much rather read a post like Ken's than a post by someone who likes to write in accents as a matter of course, like Muleskinners'. I find that style irritating to read and I cannot see that it serves a purpose other than to gain some sort of reaction from readers.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Art,
<br>
<br> I believe I speak for many at the campfire when I say, huh?
<br>
<br> Is this what happens when you misplace your monosyllabic dictionary and pick up your chemistry reference by mistake?[Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhhhhh...Once again the depth of the Board,conitinues to impress me.
<br>
<br>Am thankful that those steeped in English and it's use,have continually spared my repeated errors(some purposeful,others actual blunders).
<br>
<br>I try to be thoughtful to my fellow man and the peace offering was loaded with thought....................(grin)
<br>
<br>

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1Longbow, 257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.