Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob
<br>I can use those words and more, freely, yet generally don't. I expect Ken has a vocabulary to exceed or match mine. They sound contrived because simpler, or at least more common, words are available. Few of those will even be in a standard dictionary.
<br>
<br>My point, if I really have one, is that there are conversations at all levels going on all the time. Do you think "goo-gooing" for a baby does it any good in learning language? Might it do harm? Ken has stated eloquently why he feels, through respect for potential readers, the need to write clearly, and slighted by those not respecting him enough to return the honor.
<br>
<br>I was simply trying to show what pretentious word use sounds like when mixed with pedestrian language...
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sound contrived? Nahhhhhh, not in the least. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I agree with Ken on many levels but also recongnize that language not only needs to be clear, and succinct to be accurate, but also must be spoken on the same levels as the others in the group or it will sound pretentious. Besides, if a common word can convey the same meaning, why use a word that most will not understand, regardless of your superior vocabulary.
<br>While I find that when I talk to people knowledgable in my trade about electrical theory, I use one set of vocabulary that I wouldn't waste my time using with someone without the background to understand what I am talking about. I'm sure you and others do the same- much as language is bantied around here in a seemingly careless manner at times. That isn't meant to imply that contrived language is acceptable as a way to communicate just because someone might think it "cute". Any language that is a chore to decipher is bound to be eventually overlooked or ignored and the speaker (typist) as well.
<br>However, when humor comes into play in a reply, as it often does on these forums, all rules go away and all that is really needed to understand and appreciate it is a sense of humor- at least with most "humorous" posts.
<br>I find that the general discourse on these boards is usually cordial and understandable enough to be beyond criticism and only a few posters really post baffling vocabulary, punctuation, and meaningless drivel- either by design or by ignorance. The result is basically the same. It would seem that more would be accomplished and, therefore conveyed, if the proper structure and context of language was used. Good conversation doesn't flow easily from stilted language, be it typed or spoken.
<br>The more specific the subject, the higher the need for specificity and proper, clear description.
<br>Just my 2.5 Peso's worth- Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big Stick,
<br>I consider you one the better writers on this forum because you are clear and easy to understand. My first rule of good writing is clarity. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and vocabulary all contribute to the reader understanding what he's reading as he reads, without struggle to decifer nonstandard spellings, ambiguous meanings, etc. Of course, it also helps when the writer knows what he is talking about ;-)
<br>
<br>I don't type especially well, and I don't always take the time to proof read as thoroughly as I would on a less relaxed forum, which imposes on all your forbearace a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boy oh boy, this is better than 30-06 vers 270 any day.
<br>Ken, sorry you took it so personal.
<br>Art, didn't know they talked that way "Up North In Alaska".
<br>Shiester, nice perception.
<br>no, why don't you behave?

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post deleted by Muleskinner

Mule
IC B2

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,
<br>
<br>We all have our own priorities and preferences in how we write, speak, behave, and read. These priorities and preferences are influenced by our background, education, vocation, etc. To me the most important goal is "clear communication." I think your first goal is the same.
<br>
<br>I like direct, clear, simple words that accurately convey meaning. I prefer emotion to kept out when the purpose is to convey information. To me, the simpler the words, the better understanding the writer/speaker has of his topic. Also, correct grammer usually makes for easier understanding.
<br>
<br>Many folks post things to show off knowledge, prove they are smart, funny...whatever. I think most of us have been guilty of this a time or two. Some folks love the ebb and flow of the language, and choose words accordingly. Sometimes a person prioritizes this ebb and flow over clear communication, sometimes it's showing off knowledge, sometimes its' proving they are smaert and clever. To me, choosing anything other than clear communication as the first priority is a foul.
<br>
<br>I think your first priority is clear and precise communication. I think your next priority is correct grammar. I also think--based on your background as a writer--you enjoy the ebb and flow of the language, and as such craft your words to include this ebb and flow. However, you don't let this preference interfere with clear, precise communication and proper grammar.
<br>
<br>Anyway, that's my guess as to why you write as you do. Your writing is definitely worth reading, and I think the vast majority of us here feel that way.
<br>
<br>BTW, I don't belong here either, but since I'll never belong anywhere in this life, I might as well hang out with folks who share my hobby.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Last edited by AFP; 12/19/02.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'skinner
<br>Sir, I understand your reluctance to speak the Queen's English, only question your orienteering skills in that you think you would need to lower your language standard to do so...
<br>art
<br>

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ken, right on. I only wish I were as elequent as you, if I try perhaps someday...
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

<br>
<br> I think that everyone on this board is a society misfit. Me included. We are all different. But watch what you say about us Texans. You are likely to make one mad and he will only let you drink the pearl light beer a not the Budweiser. Just jokin, my friends.
<br>
<br> Hank Williams and the Drifting Cowboys if you please.
<br>
<br>
<br> Luke the Drifter if you want to cry in your beer.

Jimbob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did that one lose anyone other than me?
<br>
<br>Sweetsue, might want to take it easy on them Buds for the rest of the night [Linked Image] [Linked Image] .

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What bugs me most in posts is posts like this with nearly 100 responces griping about what bugs you and no one even mentions things like the percent of ash in dog food or filler in laundry soap, are not these things important to you guys. Or the real gripe of the time: Cheap imported duct tape. Man here is the invention of past fifty years and you guys let the imported stuff be called "Duct Tape" for shame. Schiester you are right the guys who change the subject are annoying....[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br> nothing

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And one more thing....the finest guitar player ever to pluck a string with an insisor came from right here in the Pacific Northwest....The One....The Only....The Incoprable.... Jimi Hendrix. If you don't believe me just take a listen to "Little Wing"
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well you could say what bugs me is people that have "nothing" to say. [Linked Image]
<br>Bill

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Partsman, yeah I think I said it all...
<br>
<br>Bull...

Business as usual
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullwnkl,
<br>I take exception too that.Hendrix ranks second in my book.The number one spot ties a bloke from London and a redneck from Georgia.
<br>
<br>If you don't belive me,just listen to a song called "Layla".You can hear both of them playing on that one.
<br>
<br>WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Ken, I say I apologize for the striking or your main nerve. I didn't realize a man of your supposed stature and importance would be so annoyed by a little ol' post. I sorry I brought you down to my level and forced you to resort to name calling and accusations of maliciousness. As for the looking down on people, and your posts and opinions telling the masses likewise. I am of the opinion that you reek of arrogance and snobbery.You may never have been taught to talk down to people, but thru all your teaching and writings, in my humble and absolutely insignificant opinion you do!!! As for your post to need one. What a bunch of pretentious poppycock. You are absolutely full of yourself , get over it and get a real life. By the way; most of us probably have spellcheck and grammar correct on our computers as I am sure you do. It probably is just not that important for the masses. I don' have proofreaders and editors at my disposal for help either when I come across a tough question or situation. These forums are mostly opinions. I will feel free to speak mine. If you don't like it, so be it. And quit your whining about Muleskinner.
<br>
<br>Regards
<br>John

SSH, Be vewy, vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Elmers'
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AND I HATE people that make personal attacks........................reeks of TROLLISM! Some need to take their own advise and get a life themselves, 'nuff said!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ihate, your handle aptly describes your nature, doesn't it? Why not just shorten it to "Ihate?" Hatefulness seems to be your most prolific quality. Go crawl back under your rock, but stay there this time! Let me guess, your "other" handle is Cuzzinmitch? If not, I hear he's looking for a boyfriend. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to hook the two of you up. You're a match made in hell!

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Another thread succumbs to the tide of piss............

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (17Fan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.