-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ifn yer talkin' slow hand, he's ok, but you gotta give the blues boys their due. Stevie Ray Vauhn, Johnny Winters, early Hendrix (didn't like mos' the pop stuff he came out with after Band of Gypsys), all rate tops in my book. There's jus' too many good 'merican pickers. Them brits only try to copy the 'mericans anyhoo. What I wanna know is how come they don't have an accent when they sing?

Mule
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
And time for us to leave this thread alone and not respond to this crap.
<br>Time to ignore and let it die.
<br>Bill

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

<br>Ihateelmer - A little advice... you are fighting gods of Internet fiefdoms and their subjects - it is a no win situation because no matter how correct you are, you will always be wrong in their eyes.
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ZeroDrift, Ihate is simply being hateful and making personal attacks. If pointing that out is wrong, then I'm guilty as charged.
<br>
<br>Do you really think his "I hate" attitude is reasonable and appropriate?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Quite a collection of thoughts and opinions here. I'm impressed at some of the responses and laughed my opinion off at others.. All things being equal, I would like to offer a few addtitional..
<br>
<br>Between CCR and Three Dog Night, the tune side is pretty well covered.....
<br>
<br>As for snobs of any kind, I generally take pleasure in proving them wrong whether they are or not. (You can prove anything with numbers if you are willing to throw logic aside!)
<br>
<br>I have to agree with Ken, the biggest thing missing is looking into someones eyes to see what they really mean when the say something.
<br>
<br>Wheelchair Bandit probably has a better concept of the world than I do...
<br>
<br>Finally, to the original point, the thing that bothers me the most about boards in general, are folks who confuse logic and reason with emotion and sentiment. That seems to lead to more pissing contests than any of us care to get involved in, and we do nothing but get our shoes wet (provided your wearing shoes...).
<br>
<br>Let me close by wishing everyone here a Happy Holiday Season. May the light of fortune shine on all of you.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Dan in Arizona
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
-- on being proved wrong -- one of my favorite stories:
<br>
<br>Albert Einstein had just published his theory of relativity. In his homeland, the Nazis under Hitler got all a-tremble over the esteem and honors being shown this Jew in America. To pare him down, something like 120 Nazi scientists published a huge volume of essays attempting to disprove Einstein's theory. Asked to comment on this tsunami of negative "scientific" criticism, Einstein was calm and unruffled:
<br>
<br>"If I were wrong," he said, "one scientist would be enough."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha...That shows how smart and witty he really was...I like it!
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ihate, attacking one of our most respected members is not a good way to make friends.
<br>
<br>This is turning into a big whizzing contest. The exchange of ideas and information is the purpose here. You're welcome to disagree with any one. Each is entitled to his own opinion, and that's fine. It'd be boring if we all agreed. But resorting to a personal attack only shows you to be a troll.
<br>
<br>Muley, while I agree with you in this case, a personal attack just drags everything into the mud. Lets all please mind our tongues and keyboards. We need to keep our emotions in check, or we end up looking like azzholes ourselves. Bar rooms are fine for such things. The Campfire is not.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a bad anecdote, but almost certainly not true, at least in major details. Einstein published his Special Theory of Relativity in 1905 and his General Theory of Relativity in 1915, after his incorrect 1914 version, along with multiple corrections later, since he was not the only one with pieces of the theory (Hilbert actually published the correct gravitational mathematics for the general theory of relativity 5 days earlier than Einstein) and probably wanted to get his in print first. Needless to say, this was long before the Nazis and Hitler. He received the Nobel Prize in 1921, but not for his theory of relativity,although that was probably a driving force, which, while current with the beginnings of the Nazi era was long before it's virulent anti-semitism was widely known.
<br>
<br>He later agreed to come to Germany to teach and work and did so with the proviso that he did not have to become a German citizen and subsequently fled (or more accurately did nor return to) Germany in 1933. Probably as a result of this period, although this is speculation, it was German scientists, working off of his theory, who discovered nuclear fission in 1938 and, alerted by anti-Nazi scientists, Einstein then wrote the critical letter to FDR which began the nuclear race which resulted in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
<br>

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm, I'm sorry that I pissed you off over the "teacher" post. I somehow doubt you'd have made your post here, if it wasn't for that incident, though I'm probably wrong. We've typically got along before, so let's let that one drop, eh?
<br>
<br>My observation here is that (while you did a better job than I) it is still difficult not to appear to be an azzhole when you point out someone else's improprieties. Neither of our posts were really necessary as I believe that Ihate knew full well what he was doing and only doing it to get a rise out of you and I. Yet we both felt the need to respond. Hmmmm....
<br>
<br>Hopefully, you'll never see me initiating the kind of post that Ihate started. If so, please feel free to jump on my back and call me every name in the book. While my response to Ihate was pointless and, taken in isolation, may be construed as out of line, I still feel it was warranted. You're right, it could have been handled more eloquently, but the fact of the matter is, we humans are an emotional race. Sometimes they run positively, sometimes in the negative. At least, "I" did not call anyone an azzhole -- even though it was implied!
<br>
<br>I will NOT remove emotion from my tongue or keyboard. I'm not just here for the "information" but also for the comaraderie -- something you can't have without emotion. Without it, we'd have none of the light-hearted posts that are so common (and, to me, enjoyable).
<br>
<br>Your point is taken. What do you say we bury the hatchet and get back to the enjoyable aspects of this board?

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think Ihate just presented the ultimate answer to the question of this thread................... if his response was directed to someone who fit the description that would be different.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I stand corrected on the matter of exactly what it was that the Nazi scientists were trying to discredit Einstein for. It may even have been somebody else who replied with that pithy answer that I've been quoting for decades since someone told me that anecdote. Blame my ramshackle memory for error in the ancillary details. I've been unable to find the story in print anywhere, so any of its ancillary details is certainly subject to the usual inaccuracies of hearsay communication as well as the usual greasy slippage of an old phardt's memory with the passage of time
<br>
<br>As your post proves so beautifully, the accuracy of the quoted line is crystalline-pure -- when one is wrong, ONE person with the straight skinny is enough to provide all the necessary correction -- without any necessity for emotion, accusation, calumny, name-calling, ad-hominem "logic," etc.
<br>
<br>So my sincere thanks, Charlie, for both the correction and the illustrative example of the anecdote's point.
<br>

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, Muley. Consider the matter dropped, and check your PM.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post deleted by Muleskinner

Mule
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Skinner,
<br>Yup,I was refferin to Slowhand and Duane Allman.
<br>
<br>Now ya gotta give Eric his dues-he was the FIRST white blues guitarist that had his own sound.Like Allman said,"Eric wrote the book man-White Blues Guitarists Volume One".
<br>
<br>Ifn you think Hendrix or SRV is the best thing to come from stateside,you haven't heard Allman.That guy will blow your mind.NOBODY has matched his tone,intensity or enthusiasm.
<br>
<br>Pick up The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East and listen to Duane's solo at the end of In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed.
<br>
<br>WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from the American Heritage Dictionary, unabridged, on my hard drive:
<br>
<br>--- ancillary -- an�cil�lar�y (�n�s�-l�r��) adj. 1. Subordinate: �For Degas, sculpture was never more than ancillary to his painting� (Herbert Read).
<br>Also "supporting" or "secondary." In the anecdote that I posted, all the build-up to the quoted line "If I were wrong, one scientist would be enough" is ancillary to the quoted reply.
<br>
<br>--- communication -- com�mu�ni�ca�tion (k�-my��n�-k��sh�n) n. Abbr. com., comm. 1. The act of communicating; transmission. 2.a. The exchange of thoughts, messages, or information, as by speech, signals, writing, or behavior. b. Interpersonal rapport.
<br>... the purpose of every post here, I'd hope
<br>
<br>--- calumny -- cal�um�ny (k�l��m-n�) n., pl. cal�um�nies. 1. A false statement maliciously made to injure another's reputation. 2. The utterance of maliciously false statements; slander.
<br>The allegation that I use correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc, to show that I'm somehow "superior" to everyone else is calumny. Saying or writing it for others to hear or read is also calumny. The key elements of calumny are (a) it's false and (b) it's malicious.
<br>
<br>ad hom�i�nem (h�m��-n�m�, -n�m) adj. Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.
<br>[Latin, literally "at the man," attempting to discredit the man's ability, knowledge, or position on a subject by discrediting him personally instead of dealing directly with his ability, knowledge, or position)
<br>"You can't believe anything he says about politics -- he's only a muleskinner" is an ad hominem "argument," for example -- or "he can't be any good as a hunter -- he sells insurance for a living."

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm, PM'd you back. You're a good man and certainly not far off with your observations. Glad we have things sorted out!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'Skinner, my friend, (this may ruin your day!), you and I agree far more often than you might think. There are basically just two things that we don't agree on. The lesser of these two cross-threadings is the contrived convolution of your writing style (as I've already said quite enough about). That disagreement is too minor to fuss about.
<br>
<br>I consider and sense you as a thoughtful, intelligent fellow with a lot to say that'd be worth saying (and of course worth reading) if you didn't also load it down with your customary old dead albatrosses. What I'd really love to see you do differently should be very simple and easy for you -- just post what you have to say, in whatever style you like, (a) without telling us how great or honest or whatever you are and (b) without taking a swipe at others. You have good thoughts, capable of standing on their own. Let 'em stand but don't load 'em down.

"Good enough" isn't.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,
<br>
<br>Good advice for all of us. If we would "let our yes be yes and out no be no" (paraphrase) more often, much consternation would be avoided.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So glad the Christmas season is here and all us good friends are beginning to enjoy the season and each other. Don't think much at all is ever said in anger around here. Just more or less to get some conversation going. Have fun. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugeman, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,731 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,741
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.