Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jwp475

I guess you are forgetting WW1 & WW2. as well as other conflicts around the world that weren't as publicized.

According to statistics, a combat soldier in WWII saw 40 days in combat in 4 years. It was less in WW I as we were only there for 1 year.

http://www.uswings.com/about-us-wings/vietnam-war-facts/

Fire fights lasted months and the Marines took islands and had a very high casualty rate. Too many fought more than one campaign and I'm calling BS on 40 days in 4 years.

Facts don't matter when you are Gungeek who is a genuine pipe hittin warpig.

mike r

mike r

1,076,245 Soldiers were wounded in WW11 and 291,557 killed in action.

Profile of US Servicemen (1941-1945)
38.8% (6,332,000) of U.S. servicemen and all servicewomen were volunteers
61.2% (11,535,000) were draftees
Average duration of service: 33 months
Overseas service: 73% served overseas, with an average of 16 months abroad
Combat survivability (out of 1,000): 8.6 were killed in action, 3 died from other causes, and 17.7 received non-fatal combat wounds
Non-combat jobs: 38.8% of enlisted personnel had rear echelon assignments—administrative, support, or manual labor.
Average base pay: enlisted—$71.33 per month; officer—$203.50 per month

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
... but the ONE thing I needed in that gunfight was the flatter trajectory of the 9mm ...

LOL.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kevin was in the twin towers before they were hit as well.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10416518/1

Kevin is the Brian Williams of the campfire.

[Linked Image]

give it up Kevin, you don't have to pretend to be all this stuff, just be yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What sucks about the 45 acp to me is that handguns that use double stack mag are too thick/fat in the grip for my hand and that the factory ammo is about 50% more than 9mm. Handloading the 45 acp helps mitigate the cost some but 9mm is still cheaper.

I like that the 9mm can have high capacity due to their double stack mags and still have a reasonably grip thickness. Compound this with cheap & economical to shoot, shines favorably on the 9mm.

From what I read and pulling out of the gun mag, is that for the 9mm to have comparable performance to 45acp is that the 9mm needs to use premium, bonded bullets. Whereas the 45 acp, you got much more leniency with your jhp ammo.

With the trend of going to smaller & trimmer 9mms result in single stack for better conceal drops in it's capacity and lighter recoil advantage.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

In two words, "It doesn't"...

Whether one is choosing a 9mm, a .40 S&W, or a .45 ACP, each offers something to fit the needs of potential handgunners. I believe they are all three fairly capable rounds--and any one of them is a good choice.

The 9mm has always been my favorite centerfire handgun round--for reasons obvious to anyone who shoots on a regular basis.

When I first began comparing times between the 9mm and the .45 ACP when firing specific stages--the results were fairly depressing. My times with the .45 were too slow by contrast. Consistent practice over the past 30 years has narrowed that gap. The last five times I've been out at the range, four of those five times have been very cold, right close to zero, or right at zero degrees. The last time out last week, the temperature was about 12 above, but with the wind it was quite a bit colder--likely right at zero degrees--calling for firing with gloves on. I made a half day of it.

These sets were fired with a second gen Glock 21 with Trijicons dated 1992, the pistol bought new in 1993 (as an aside, they still have fairly decent glow). The rounds were Federal 230 gr FMJ full power rounds with aluminum cases. Standing one yard in front of target, facing 180 degrees away. At beep, turn 180 and fire five shots while retreating straight back, or retreating at an angle, to about four yards distance. Pics of three of those sets--all fired with thin gloves on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tobacco Root mountains in the distance--a great day:

[Linked Image]

Reasonable skill can be achieved with full power .45 ACP rounds, and it is a great round for carry--my favorite for everyday carry, and it only "sucks" when the one doing the firing sucks. Presenting the rig on demand--and getting rounds off fast--and accurately--is much of the crux of the matter, and debating between these 3 cartridges is something that can go on endlessly.

These types of topics baffle me, and really remind me of the notion of couples taking Lamaze classes to have a child. Ridiculous. Imagine critters "not knowing", stressing, wondering about that which comes naturally...

Folks need only pick a cartridge and platform that works for a particular need, and go forth and practice with it--which soon confirms one's choices...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

Whether one is choosing a 9mm, a .40 S&W, or a .45 ACP, each

Folks need only pick a cartridge and platform that works for a particular need, and go forth and practice with it--which soon confirms one's choices...

I think Hi-Vel summed it up well with the quote above. Pick the cartridge in the platform that you like and practice with it smile

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Agreed, it's really as simple as that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I always get the twp "rings" confused....which ones the idoot?

Yes. As in they both are.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well I learned a lot reading all this. guess I need to toss my 1911 as the 45 ACP round will not penetrate wet TP. I need to just use my old single six and find some 22 shorts.

Or not!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch tossing your .45, Scott. I understand you have one of those "warm chocolate" ones, and you might splatter *useless .45* all over the place....(grin)

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll wait for a real cold day. wink

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.