Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by gitem_12
under NM LAW, YES that's all that's required to justify reasonable suspicion. I would suggest you go read the league link provided on page 1

Then we are screwed and living in a police state. Anyone supporting such a position, is truly an enemy of the Constitution.

ts obvious you have never read Terry, nor do you understand the term "totality of the situation"

Terry authorizes the stop and frisk, of individuals reasonably believed to be armed and dangerous. reasonable suspicion is a much lower legal standard. the fact that the officer saw the gun, satisfies the RS part of terry, when taken with the totality of the situation. ie, suspect began to become agitated when asked to step outside and speak with officers. the RS of a crime under commission is satisfied by NM statute stating it is illegal to possess a concealed deadly weapon.

again RS is different that having PC to arrest.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by SBTCO
The bigger question is why was a convicted felon out of prison in the first place?

If the individual has been adjudicated incompetent/unsafe to have rights reinstated ie. bear arms as enumerated by the constitution, then they should not be allowed into the general population.

If the individual has been rehabilitated and adjudicated to be safe in society then give his rights back and leave him and the rest of us alone, regardless of whether his/our firearm is concealed or not.

Knowingly or otherwise defending laws that violate our constitutional rights do not help the cause.
I have always been in your camp on this question. Do your time, all rights are in place again. You've paid your debt, according to the system. If the system doesn't think you've adequately paid your debt, then they should have sentenced you for longer.

Yeah...What a concept! If the basic tenants of the constitution were followed(as is required by the friggin document) there would be no " need " for all these ridiculous albeit profitable laws like ccw, terry searches, gun laws, vehicle registration, hate crimes, progressive tax code....,on and on ad nauseam.

But, as I stated earlier, as long as we keep supporting them, we get what we reap.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
under NM LAW, YES that's all that's required to justify reasonable suspicion. I would suggest you go read the league link provided on page 1

Then we are screwed and living in a police state. Anyone supporting such a position, is truly an enemy of the Constitution.

ts obvious you have never read Terry, nor do you understand the term "totality of the situation"

Terry authorizes the stop and frisk, of individuals reasonably believed to be armed and dangerous. reasonable suspicion is a much lower legal standard. the fact that the officer saw the gun, satisfies the RS part of terry, when taken with the totality of the situation. ie, suspect began to become agitated when asked to step outside and speak with officers. the RS of a crime under commission is satisfied by NM statute stating it is illegal to possess a concealed deadly weapon.

Understanding does not have to result in agreement. I understand that it is a much lower standard, but still it has to be (or should be) more than just an LEO's assumption. The LEO still should be able to verbalize the crime that he thinks is being committed or is about to be committed. If the clerk had been carrying, and, brandishing, or threatening, or acting aggressively then I could understand the LEO actions. But if the clerk was just bending over to get the LEO a package of doughnuts when the CC was noticed, then that would, IMO, not be reasonable to assume a crime is about to be committed. How's that for understanding the totality of the situation.

Last edited by cooper57m; 02/01/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Understanding does not have to result in agreement. I understand that it is a much lower standard, but still it has to be (or should be) more than just an LEO's assumption. The LEO still should be able to verbalize the crime that he thinks is being committed or is about to be committed. If the clerk had been carrying, and, brandishing, or threatening, or acting aggressively then I could understand the LEO actions. But if the clerk was just bending over to get the LEO a package of doughnuts when the CC was noticed, then that would, IMO, not be reasonable to assume a crime is about to be committed. How's that for understanding the totality of the situation.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/In%20FCO%2020131231054/U.S.%20v.%20RODRIGUEZ

read the above link

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here is something to think about. My longest friend is a Forest Ranger (which is an armed, LEO position here in NY). While patrolling State land, mostly by himself, without back-up being readily available, he very frequently comes across hunters, hikers, campers etc that are armed (both CC and OC). He doesn't disarm every person, or handcuff or assume that they are all criminals, or break out in a cold sweat or sheet himself. (Can you imagine such a thing in NY?) But some cops hear the word gun and will shoot a guy going for his wallet when asked to produce his driver's license, or instantly shoot some kid playing with a toy. Some people just don't have what it takes to be a cop. They're too nervous and jerky.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here is something to think about. My longest friend is a Forest Ranger (which is an armed, LEO position here in NY). While patrolling State land, mostly by himself, without back-up being readily available, he very frequently comes across hunters, hikers, campers etc that are armed (both CC and OC). He doesn't disarm every person, or handcuff or assume that they are all criminals, or break out in a cold sweat or [bleep] himself. (Can you imagine such a thing in NY?) But some cops hear the word gun and will shoot a guy going for his wallet when asked to produce his driver's license, or instantly shoot some kid playing with a toy. Some people just don't have what it takes to be a cop. They're too nervous and jerky.

you're seriously trying to equate a forest ranger in NY with a city cop dispatched to a call for service of "armed men" in armed high crime area of Albuquerque New Mexico?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
"The clerk was carrying concealed, which in that state is a FELONY without a permit. I.e., probable cause of a crime in progress. The cop saw the clerk carrying a concealed pistol - there's the probable cause of a crime in progress. The cop simply snatched the pistol from his belt (Mexican carry), and then checked to see whether the felon in question had a permit (he did not). The result was a valid arrest."

Cart/Horse. IMO, there was no probable cause WHEN he took the action of disarming the clerk. It would have been reasonable for the cop to ask to see the clerk's permit upon seeing that he was carrying concealed (as much as I see needing permits to carry concealed as anti-2A, you shouldn't need a permit by the Gov't to engage in a guaranteed right). WHEN the clerk could not produce the permit, THEN and only THEN does he have reasonable suspicion that a CRIME has been committed. At that point the firearm should be seized and the clerk detained and arrested. Just the mere fact that he was carrying a pistol is NOT REASONABLE suspicion of a crime, unless you are saying that it is REASONABLE for a cop to think all people who carry guns are criminals. IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING??

My reading comprehension is just fine thanks and I dare say a damned side better than yours.
Back in the days when concealed carry permits were rare, and most people didn't even know they existed, my uncle on Long Island had one. He originally got in the habit of carrying when he worked as a parole officer, back in the 1960s. When he moved on to being a practicing attorney, he got his carry license. I remember he told me the story of when, in the 1970s, a cop noticed he was carrying while he was in line at a fast food place. The cop walked up to him and said, "I hope you have a license to carry that." His reply was, "Of course I do." The cop didn't even ask to see it ... just moved on. I guess he replied with such confidence and calmness that the cop figured he was telling the truth.

TRH . . . I'm assuming the cop was white and your uncle is/was a white man?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm ok with everything except the LEO disarming the clerk prior to finding out that he didn't have a permit and was a felon. If disarming a citizen for the police's safety is ok, then we should be allowed to disarm the police for our safety. Prior to learning the clerk did not have a permit and was a felon, there was, IMO, no reasonable suspicion that a crime had been committed, unless it's a crime to show a co-worker your gun in NM. Once it was ascertained that didn't have a permit, that's when he should have been when he was disarmed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here is something to think about. My longest friend is a Forest Ranger (which is an armed, LEO position here in NY). While patrolling State land, mostly by himself, without back-up being readily available, he very frequently comes across hunters, hikers, campers etc that are armed (both CC and OC). He doesn't disarm every person, or handcuff or assume that they are all criminals, or break out in a cold sweat or [bleep] himself. (Can you imagine such a thing in NY?) But some cops hear the word gun and will shoot a guy going for his wallet when asked to produce his driver's license, or instantly shoot some kid playing with a toy. Some people just don't have what it takes to be a cop. They're too nervous and jerky.

you're seriously trying to equate a forest ranger in NY with a city cop dispatched to a call for service of "armed men" in armed high crime area of Albuquerque New Mexico?

Yup, we had a Conservation Officer killed on duty this year. If a Cop is afraid of his job, he should do something else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yup, we had a Conservation Officer killed on duty this year. If a Cop is afraid of doing his job, he should do something else.

One KIA this year. Wow. That sucks, but it ain't NM.

There's a difference between being afraid, and being stupidly naive.

Read the link that has been provided, several times. Then, read Terry v Ohio.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's a story from when I was employed as a hazardous waste inspector. I had an inspection in a crime-ridden area of Newburgh (a murder rate higher than NYC). While inspecting this small company, the guy looking for some paperwork opened a desk drawer and inside I recognized a Ruger 10/22 that had the barrel and stock illegally cut down to pistol size. I pretended I didn't see it and later called the Newburgh PD to report the illegal gun. I was told, "In that part of the city, you would be crazy not to have a gun." Upon seeing that illegal gun, I didn't confiscate it, out of fear for my safety, or run out of the place screaming. Hell, that gun was probably the safest thing I encountered in that sheet hole. Many violations were cited.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have no issue with a LEO disarming me during a peaceful encounter, so long as he doesn't do so aggressively.

Last edited by KoolBreeze; 02/01/17.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a story from when I was employed as hazardous waste inspector. I had an inspection in a crime-ridden area of Newburgh (a murder rate higher than NYC). While inspecting this small company, the guy looking for some paperwork opened a desk drawer and inside I recognized a Ruger 10/22 that had the barrel and stock illegally cut down to pistol size. I pretended I didn't see it and later called the Newburgh PD to report the illegal gun. I was told, "In that part of the city, you would be crazy not to have a gun." Upon seeing that illegal gun, I didn't confiscate it, out of fear for my safety, or run out of the place screaming. Hell, that gun was probably the safest thing I encountered in that sheet hole. Many violations were cited.

Well, hurray. That has ... hmmm... exactly nothing to do with anything, and certainly not the 4A or the law. Read the link provided. Read Terry v Ohio.

Of course, you MAY have inadvertently stumbled upon a concept of "totality of circumstances" as it relates to a cop in NM dealing with a felon working in a low-end convenience store in a schithole part of town, but you would not catch on even if we drew you a picture.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's a story from when I was employed as hazardous waste inspector. I had an inspection in a crime-ridden area of Newburgh (a murder rate higher than NYC). While inspecting this small company, the guy looking for some paperwork opened a desk drawer and inside I recognized a Ruger 10/22 that had the barrel and stock illegally cut down to pistol size. I pretended I didn't see it and later called the Newburgh PD to report the illegal gun. I was told, "In that part of the city, you would be crazy not to have a gun." Upon seeing that illegal gun, I didn't confiscate it, out of fear for my safety, or run out of the place screaming. Hell, that gun was probably the safest thing I encountered in that sheet hole. Many violations were cited.

congrats. that story has absoluteky no corrolation to the OP.

INFACT had you "confidcated it. you yourself would have committed multiple felonies

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here's a story from when I was employed as a hazardous waste inspector. I had an inspection in a crime-ridden area of Newburgh (a murder rate higher than NYC). While inspecting this small company, the guy looking for some paperwork opened a desk drawer and inside I recognized a Ruger 10/22 that had the barrel and stock illegally cut down to pistol size. I pretended I didn't see it and later called the Newburgh PD to report the illegal gun. I was told, "In that part of the city, you would be crazy not to have a gun." Upon seeing that illegal gun, I didn't confiscate it, out of fear for my safety, or run out of the place screaming. Hell, that gun was probably the safest thing I encountered in that sheet hole. Many violations were cited.

You called the cops, what an ass hole you are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Dude, it was an original Ruger Charger ... but without the bipod (as usual).

wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"
Originally Posted by MagMarc

to come confiscate the gun

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
he really is the Second Ammendments friend.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4ager

Well, hurray. That has ... hmmm... exactly nothing to do with anything, and certainly not the 4A or the law. Read the link provided. Read Terry v Ohio.

Of course, you MAY have inadvertently stumbled upon a concept of "totality of circumstances" as it relates to a cop in NM dealing with a felon working in a low-end convenience store in a schithole part of town, but you would not catch on even if we drew you a picture.

It has to do with encountering potentially dangerous situations and how one chooses to handle that situation. Just because a job has dangers doesn't mean another's rights should be infringed.

The rest of that story is that about 10 years after that encounter with the guy with the illegal gun in his desk, he was at his second home in Jamaica, lounging around his pool, when two guys walked up to him and shot him dead and walked away. The killers were never caught and it was assumed to be a mob hit.

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20100209/BIZ/2090334

ps. Regarding the 4th Amendment: I had places refuse me entry without having a search warrant. I didn't freak out over someone exercising their Constitutional Rights, I would just calmly inform them that they had that right but that I would seek a search warrant, come back with a Conservation Officer and any violations would be handled criminally rather than administratively. They would then always grant me access.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

It has to do with encountering potentially dangerous situations and how one chooses to handle that situation. Just because a job has dangers doesn't mean another's rights should be infringed.

The rest of that story is that about 10 years after that encounter with the guy with the illegal gun in his desk, he was at his second home in Jamaica, lounging around his pool, when two guys walked up to him and shot him dead and walked away. The killers were never caught and it was assumed to be a mob hit.

Was it your job to confiscate firearms, stop criminal activity, and arrest criminals? No? Then it has no bearing.

Jamaica is not the US. Again, irrelevant.

Read the link provided. Read Terry v Ohio.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.