Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#11793734 02/03/17
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
How big is the biggest pig that you have seen, either weighed or estimated, by measuring the diameter. I have seen several hundred probably more feral pigs that were killed by hunters. My buddies and I have probably killed 200. By measuring, or scales only two have weighed over 200lbs. One shot by me,260+-, measured, one by a buddy, 225lbs weighed. I have seen others at lockers etc, and only seen a couple that legitimately weigh over 200lbs. Texas Boars has quite a few pictures of one's 200-300lbs, but only 5 or so over 300lbs. I hear all the stories of 300lbs, but just don't believe them. Several years ago some guys we were hunting with, came to camp with one they said weighed close to 250lbs. BTW, The two of them had thrown it in the back of their truck. (I can tell you right now that two average guys will have a heck of a time loading a 200lb pig.) I said it wasn't nearly that big. It was a good one, I thought, about 150lbs or so. We weighed it and it weighed 167 as I recall. I think, most people over judge the weight of pigs, because they have little experience with them. How many really large, verified weight, pigs have you seen?

BTW I hunt in South Texas and the Texas Hill Country. It's dry and pretty hard and not lend itself to producing large hogs. Also, most are shot on sight, which might keep the size down I suspect that places where they destroy/ a lot of agriculture, they might grow larger

FWIW, I have had many people say that the larger pigs stink and that they wouldn't eat one. When asked, they admit to never having eaten one.
I will say that I have not found this to be true. The larger ones also bring more money from pig buyers for the restaurant's wild boar market.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We only shoot sows because we eat the meat. From my experience boars right around 200 lbs. and under are not to bad to eat as long as they are not lathered up breeding. We have killed some nice sows, they are always near active agriculture and have plenty to eat. Luckily the biggest had good logging roads to get a front end loader for the retrieval.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

PASS IT ON!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Biggest for me was an estimated 350 lbs sow from coastal plains area. The biggest ones we see are in agricultural areas and seem to have more domestic swine in them than the typical S Texas boar. Have seen some that appeared as tall as a cow before and over 8 feet long but no idea of weight.

Along the Texas Coast and East Texas I have heard some credible reports of Hogs over 400 lbs but even in this area one over 150 is considered a real big one.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed one large sow that the guide thought weighed ~275 lbs. Took two of use to drag it to the UTV, and winch to hoist it into the bed. Another big sow I saw killed was huge, filled up a front end loader, and was pushing 500 lbs both were on a ranch in Tennessee

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Biggest I have killed by far was a barred hog. He bottomed out a 300 pound scale after being gutted and hung all night. So I would guess he was somewhere over 400. Fat at least a couple of inches thick all around him.

I have killed a few hundred at this point but he wins by far. Only one other that would have been close to 300. Most others that were big enough to take note of were low 200's. Our ranch is in very ideal habitat for hogs and is managed somewhat for larger pigs though.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The biggest one that I've killed weighed about 225 pounds. My buddy wants me to take him pig hunting but I'm waiting till ground dries up. I hunt on private ranches and they close off the roads so we don't tear them up.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Killed a 360lb boar and a 225lb both with 6.8 SPC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe someone can give me a good guess. I shot a couple pigs last year the guide claimed one was about 225 pounds and the other was about 190. The one that was hanging out with the 190er was more than twice as big! I mean HUGE! The guide said it would probably go 450. It was a bore and not the least bit interesting to me.

I got 206 pounds of meat at the processor after they were quartered.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Largest was a dry sow.

Shot her after she made a mess out in the cotton field with a 22-250 AI and a 90 grain a-max.

Shot a bunch that scaled out in the 290-325 range.

When you get up to a really large one they are really large.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The largest hog I have ever killed weighed 220 lbs on the processors scale. The largest I have ever personally seen was this monster my buddy shot. He was using a TC Encore in 308 and 150 gr Hornady Accubond. This bob(big old boar) weighed in at 260 lbs. He was a handful to get loaded up!!

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

For reference, I'm 6'1", and I'm standing close to it, pushing on the ham to prevent it from swinging around for the photo. Can't remember it's exact weight, but I know it was north of 400lbs. Took 4 of us to swing it onto the back of my 4 wheeler, and I was almost sitting on the fuel tank on the way out so I could steer.

Washington County Ga about 20 years ago.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Don't you just love it when someone tells you of shooting a (un-weighed) 250 pounder. Then they tell you that they, just threw it in the back of the truck! In my opinion most 250lbrs end up closer to 150lbs. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
This one is not all that big as far as pigs go, but it was an accomplishment for wifey. She shot it off back porch of the house here, a month after open heart surgery to install an LVAD heart pump.
This was the 88 she gave to our granddaughter this past Christmas as she is no longer able to to hunt.

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice Bob... I really need to plan myself a trip one day soon to harvest a oinker or two

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah the above photo was in 2012. Since that time our little area has seen a human population explosion. I haven't had pigs on our place since 2014. I think the hay raising boys have done a good job on their numbers.

Matter of fact someone hit a big hog this past week up on the highway about 2 miles from us. First hog I've seen around here since last March.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This one is not all that big as far as pigs go, but it was an accomplishment for wifey. She shot it off back porch of the house here, a month after open heart surgery to install an LVAD heart pump.
This was the 88 she gave to our granddaughter this past Christmas as she is no longer able to to hunt.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a bunch of happy kittens in the background.

Sorry about the wife's health.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well you know when the sun goes down the cats come out!!!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by captdavid
How big is the biggest pig that you have seen, either weighed or estimated, by measuring the diameter. I have seen several hundred probably more feral pigs that were killed by hunters. My buddies and I have probably killed 200. By measuring, or scales only two have weighed over 200lbs. One shot by me,260+-, measured, one by a buddy, 225lbs weighed. I have seen others at lockers etc, and only seen a couple that legitimately weigh over 200lbs. Texas Boars has quite a few pictures of one's 200-300lbs, but only 5 or so over 300lbs. I hear all the stories of 300lbs, but just don't believe them. Several years ago some guys we were hunting with, came to camp with one they said weighed close to 250lbs. BTW, The two of them had thrown it in the back of their truck. (I can tell you right now that two average guys will have a heck of a time loading a 200lb pig.) I said it wasn't nearly that big. It was a good one, I thought, about 150lbs or so. We weighed it and it weighed 167 as I recall. I think, most people over judge the weight of pigs, because they have little experience with them. How many really large, verified weight, pigs have you seen?

BTW I hunt in South Texas and the Texas Hill Country. It's dry and pretty hard and not lend itself to producing large hogs. Also, most are shot on sight, which might keep the size down I suspect that places where they destroy/ a lot of agriculture, they might grow larger

FWIW, I have had many people say that the larger pigs stink and that they wouldn't eat one. When asked, they admit to never having eaten one.
I will say that I have not found this to be true. The larger ones also bring more money from pig buyers for the restaurant's wild boar market.

The sizes of hogs and bears and two of the most grossly exaggerated things in the sporting world. I haven't seen many over 200 but I have seen a few, especially around rice fields.

I killed a sow that was over 200 and the flavor of the meat was fine but it was very tough. I've had no problems with the meat on hogs that were 100 pounds or smaller.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.