Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm typically a Remington fan so I'll preface this with that. Friend's son bought a new old inventory XCR II in 7mm Remington. He was getting about 4" groups with it and Hornady Superperformance ammo. I brought it home to check it out.

Scope is a SWFA 6x with rail and SWFA rings. The stock is the part that is a pos. The area behind the recoil lug is skeletonized plastic. Not sure how a guy could even bed the thing. I took out the pressure points on the forearm and may just screw it back together and try some handloads.

Anyone had success bedding one of those and if so, how did you fill up the large hollow areas?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I McSwirlyed mine. Factory wasn't bad, just don't torque the crap out of the bolts. 140 CorLokts easy under 1-1/2".

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got one in .30-06 and I've yet to find anything that shoots better than about 1.5" groups. Most loads are much worse. I've debated about throwing more money at the gun (stock, trigger, etc.), but have been reluctant. Please keep us posted on how this endeavor pans out for you.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had 2 XCR II's that were 1.5" shooters. Never any better even in a new stock. The black finish flakes off after your first hunt too. Remington's quality a few years back was horrible but they seem to be better now. I would look at the Remington 700 American Wilderness rifle. Comes with Cerakote, 5R and a Grayboe -McMillanesque stock for almost the same price as they charged for the XCR II's!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well this cat is out of the bag so will try to deal with it. I got rid of the pressure points and free floated the barrel. Didn't go farmer tight on the action screws.

Going to load up H1000 and 168 grain hybrids to see what happens. The reviews are not exactly confidence building lol.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
H1000 seems to work well for me in a few different cartridges. RL22 gave me best results in my 700 7mm Rem Mag. Good luck.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've owned many rifles with the cheap tupperware stocks. They shoot every bit as good as anything else and I have McMillan's Edge stocks on 4 rifles. Changing stocks never made any difference in accuracy. But they do look better and are roughly 1/2 lb lighter. Most just need a generous free float and they shoot just fine.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never seen a tupperware stock hold up to heavy recoiling rifles. Maybe a few dozen shots, which I understand is a lot to some people, but after a 100 rounds it is easy to see the imprint/denting of the recoil lug in its mortise and this grows worse with round count. I've bedded a few with improved results, but the stocks are so flimsy that they cannot "fixed." I've inletted the forearms to hold arrow shafts and used epoxy to hold them in place and attacked the recoil lug mortise with a Dremel to insure a good mechanical lock on the epoxy. IME the flex in the material/design is going to cause the bedding to inevitably fail. This isn't to say that they won't work, just that they are bottom shelf in composition and performance.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ive owned a pile of new bolt action rifles that shot MOA groups and had "tupperware" stocks and never had any problem with them, I have changed out stocks a few times for chits and giggles with B&C, Brown Precision and others and none of the rifles shot any better..........I really havent been overly impressed with these pricey add-ons and dont throw any more money at aftermarket stocks.....Good luck....Hb

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well this one seems to be a limp noodle. If it will shoot with this stock, I am going to be pleasantly surprised.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine doesn't like Horny Ammo but does great with cheap Rem, Fed and Win 150's. Never had much luck with Fed Premiums.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Use Devcon 10110 to bed the skeletonized area also. Dremel in some mechanical locks, then fill it all up with putty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VaHillbilly- my experience is different. Replacing a factory A-bolt Stalker with a Bell and Carlson made a world of difference. It was hit and miss with the factory and very sensitive about where you rest it but it is now consistent and more accurate with the B and C. No brainer I would do it again.

I bought an HS Precision for another rifle but for a different reason , it's walnut had cracked. It never shot poorly so the new stock had no noticeable effect on accuracy. It is not a hard kicker but if anything recoil may have increased with that terrible pad of theirs ( which you can have them switch out for a Pachmyer and be much happier- have them do it though it isn't exactly plug and platy to replace it yourself).

The B and C recoil improvement was immediately apparent. If I had a plastic 7mag that was shooting 4" groups heck yes I would swap it out. A McMillan would be great if you got the $$$ but I would drop it in a B and C, enjoy the milder recoil and bet the groups would improve with a stiffer stock and lug support.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's always the rifle and never the shooter. Ever.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 270. Stock was ok but I upgraded to an mcmillan classic edge. I upgraded the trigger to a timney. This year its shooting 1-1.5 inch groups with remmington coreloks. I am now a satified remington/mcmillan /timney /talley /Leupold customer with my $1850 rifle that started as a XCR ii. And Dad always thought I was the smart one of the kids.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might like that set up better than my 7mm. I'd say 7.5 lbs done?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
Anyone had success bedding one of those and if so, how did you fill up the large hollow areas?

To fill between the partitions, I use epoxy putty... Loctite Metal Magic, Quik Steel, or Oatey. All work about the same and you should be able to find at least one in your local hardware or automotive store.

Jason

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm typically a Remington fan so I'll preface this with that. Friend's son bought a new old inventory XCR II in 7mm Remington. He was getting about 4" groups with it and Hornady Superperformance ammo. I brought it home to check it out.

Scope is a SWFA 6x with rail and SWFA rings. The stock is the part that is a pos. The area behind the recoil lug is skeletonized plastic. Not sure how a guy could even bed the thing. I took out the pressure points on the forearm and may just screw it back together and try some handloads.

I will just say that my .338 Win Mag XCR shoots lights-out in that flexible plastic POS stock.... so I never bedded it. Point being at least in my case the stock "shoots". Pressure point and all.

I did recently re-stock it just because that XCR stock really is a cheesy SOB <grin> and plus I'm looking to change that rifles luck.... . I put it in a B&C Alaskan Ti with the full bedding block. It's no Manners but it's a nice $300 stock.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Ive got the XCR in 7mm mag. Free floated the barrel and did some trigger work. I bought a Bedding kit but tried it out before and never ended up bedding it. Shoots great now.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have bedded a bunch, I buy the bulk epoxy from home depot and fill up the pockets and then bed with 5 minute epoxy or JB if i wanted a harder bed.

Edit...same as Jason

Last edited by RDW; 02/17/17.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.