Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Riverton. Houses on the market right now, are still artificially inflated, and people won't budge on selling price.
Its really nuts. Over 500 listings in Fremont county alone, and of course nothing selling.
I'd wait awhile, maybe another year....or three. Prices can't survive at what they are now.

What's hooking people in right now is for people to do "bridge loans", borrowing against the value of their home, in order to upgrade or move into something nearby. Then they have to pay the entire amt of the new place within 3 or 5years. If their house doesn't sell soon, they're screwed. Especially since they're buying a home now, at an inflated price. There will be a bunch of desperate sellers in 3-5 years.
Its all a scam IMHO.

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/22/17.
GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
you're dead on about the A-T-L. the traffic is choked, and that goes for the counties surrounding atlanta as well. what used to be nice suburbs have become choked with traffic. literally.

east tennessee is attractive, maybe around maryville area. but their winters are more harsh than in the atlanta area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Interesting, thanks for the info. I spent the night in Riverton back in 2011 and kind of liked the town. We went hunting above Red Canyon outside of Lander afterwards.
I didn't think there were many jobs there to begin with so I'm surprised it's different now.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
LOTS of empty storefronts, empty industrial wherehouses, etc. You'd be surprised.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Hey, Greenville wasn't "nothing."

It was the buckle of the Bible Belt.

Yup...some things never change. First 2 questions folks have for you in Greenville is what Church do you attend and are you a Gamecock or a Tiger? grin

But again GSP has really gone global. I'm amazed at how much the once small city has exploded. Still small just crowded.

Nice that you can drive 15 minutes up the road and be in a National Forest but it's all moving outward 360 degrees.

You would love downtown. Especially, at Christmas.

As for Atlanta Gus it's all yours buddy!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Wyogal
. . .Houses on the market right now, are still artificially inflated, and people won't budge on selling price. . .

this is pretty much anywhere you go. folks move somewhere and put
thousands into decorating and think they'll get thousands more
than they put into it. (maybe real estate people or home improvement
people tell them this ?) i learned a long time ago not to look at
anyone's "dream house" because they tack on a lot of emotional and
sentimental value on it that nobody will pay extra for.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Madmooner, I certainly don't blame you for wanting off this sinking ship, we haven't had a competent captain since Spellman. The freaks and geeks are ruining this place. Being close to your mom and dad is decision that I admire for you and your children. You'll look back someday and thank God you spent their last years together surrounded by love and laughter. Your children will carry the memories of their time spent with grandma and grandpa, memories they'll cherish all their days.

I can't offer any help about Tennessee but my observations of the south in general is that good, warm hearted folks inhabit every corner of our nation and once you're out of the cities you'll be in the company of the best of people. Southern folks take pride in their cooking, hospitality and politeness and do so sans-pretense. The flip side is DAMN there's a lot of black people down there which is something I'm not used to. 😬 In their defense I saw more black guys WORKING in one week down there than I ever have up here. I'm a Pacific Northwest guy and can handle the cold but not the heat, humidity, snakes and snakes.

When you said East I thought Idaho or Montana but I can't think of a better reason to move than family. Good luck and I'm sure that you'll not regret it.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have to say I am going to miss Virginia. Especially, South West VA down 81 and along 64. That is simply God's country!!

Craig you're a lucky man to be living where you are!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[/quote]

Yup...some things never change. First 2 questions folks have for you in Greenville is what Church do you attend and are you a Gamecock or a Tiger? grin

But again GSP has really gone global. I'm amazed at how much the once small city has exploded. Still small just crowded.

Nice that you can drive 15 minutes up the road and be in a National Forest but it's all moving outward 360 degrees.

You would love downtown. Especially, at Christmas.

As for Atlanta Gus it's all yours buddy!! [/quote]

if it were mine, i'd put a fence (wall?) around it, and have gated entrances. actually, atlanta is no longer like it was when the Belles of Southern Bell would walk down Peachtree street to lunch and back. those days are long gone.

there was a time that it was a local southern city. folks might move in from chicago, new york, or florida. but they sought out neighborhoods of their own kind. nowadays, it's a hodge-podge of nationalities. tons of different languages spoken in each county school system. a nightmare some say.

and tongue in cheek, once upon a time i had a dude fresh in from texas tell me that if he owned texas & hell both that he'd rent out Texas. i know he was jokin'

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mooner,

good luck wherever you end up. If it's as far back as TN, just remember to be polite when they mention going up to the mtns. Those are what we out here refer to as ridges and hills. There are no Cascades, Blues, Rockies, Tetons, etc back there. Just be polite and go along with them calling them mountains. grin

And remember, you can always come back to hunt and fish as a non-res.

After 10 years living and working most of the year away from my wife and dogs I'm ready to pack it in and join them, retired like.

I wish you the best.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blake, you are always welcome back to Florida. smile

Sam......

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sold my home in Port Orchard and heading for Tonasket next week after I retire Friday.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Sam!

Pensacola area is on my radar as well. Chattanooga seems to have better schools and of course more jobs.

Would be nice to stay by the salt though!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bird- Tonasket is a cool spot!

I'm right down the road on Fox Island. Where are you retiring from?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Geno!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Madmooner, I certainly don't blame you for wanting off this sinking ship, we haven't had a competent captain since Spellman. The freaks and geeks are ruining this place. Being close to your mom and dad is decision that I admire for you and your children. You'll look back someday and thank God you spent their last years together surrounded by love and laughter. Your children will carry the memories of their time spent with grandma and grandpa, memories they'll cherish all their days.

I can't offer any help about Tennessee but my observations of the south in general is that good, warm hearted folks inhabit every corner of our nation and once you're out of the cities you'll be in the company of the best of people. Southern folks take pride in their cooking, hospitality and politeness and do so sans-pretense. The flip side is DAMN there's a lot of black people down there which is something I'm not used to. 😬 In their defense I saw more black guys WORKING in one week down there than I ever have up here. I'm a Pacific Northwest guy and can handle the cold but not the heat, humidity, snakes and snakes.

When you said East I thought Idaho or Montana but I can't think of a better reason to move than family. Good luck and I'm sure that you'll not regret it.

Kind and true words!

Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by birdwacker
Sold my home in Port Orchard and heading for Tonasket next week after I retire Friday.

Good move! I've got acreage up above Republic, I'll honk as I roll through.

Congratulations and enjoy your retirement.

P.S. We were neighbors when you were in Port Orchard.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I enjoyed Chattanooga as a kid.. My Step Dad was from there and is buried in the National Cemetery... he lived just up the street, on Bailey Ave... use to play baseball in the Cemetery when he was a kid during WW2.

Grandparents home was up on Signal Mountain when they passed...

Grandpa use to work for Old Man Pound, who lived up on Look Out Mountain...Mr Pound was the Hilton of the Southeast and South way back in the early part of the 1900s up thru the 1950s.. he had the primo property on Look Out Mountain.. across the Street was the home of the Guy who invented Coke Cola...

Seen "Rock City" a zillion times... and Ruby Falls, plus a host of other places ( tourist Traps) that were up there back in the 50s...

When I went thru there last year, to pay my respects to family's resting places, I sadly thought a lot of the areas there around Signal Mountain, East Ridge, and East Brainerd were kinda run down compared to the way I remember them 40 and 50 years ago...

Bailey Ave near the National Cemetery was really run down.. the house my step dad and his brothers grew up in, after Homer sold the farm up at Livingston.... now had a bunch of Guatemalans living in it.. sadly it looked pretty trashed..

Leaving I headed up old US 27 north bound. Sure was a lot of nice places up that way.
Enjoyed visiting Dayton for the first time in years... but was really bothered when I stopped at the Walmart in Town..

Bunch of buses in the parking lot with Fla plates and full of Guatemalan farm workers/laborers....the were flooding the store while others worked on those old school buses..

watched them swiping all sorts of stuff, and they were being pretty lewed and crude to most of the women in the store, especially high school and college aged...I was imagining how that would have flown back there during the 60s and 70s..

Spent some time traveling up old US 70 west also.. love of pretty back in time 2 lane road there...Old Tennessee there.. really enjoyed that a LOT...

Tennessee use to really be a great place.. but like everywhere else nice in this country.. its sorta been ruined by Liberals and Immigration policies...

Where ever you end up Blake.. hope your family enjoys it immensely. Sad the Pacific NW has to lose your type of person.... would rather have 10,000 illegals sent out of here instead....and 10,000 liberals and hippies 'abducted by aliens'....

and the time I got to meet you up in Tacoma there... thanks for your hospitality and for lunch...

anyone who has never met Blake, believe me, he's one of the campfire's finest...If you ever get the chance, don't miss the opportunity!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
I enjoyed Chattanooga as a kid.. My Step Dad was from there and is buried in the National Cemetery... he lived just up the street, on Bailey Ave... use to play baseball in the Cemetery when he was a kid during WW2.

Grandparents home was up on Signal Mountain when they passed...

Grandpa use to work for Old Man Pound, who lived up on Look Out Mountain...Mr Pound was the Hilton of the Southeast and South way back in the early part of the 1900s up thru the 1950s.. he had the primo property on Look Out Mountain.. across the Street was the home of the Guy who invented Coke Cola...

Seen "Rock City" a zillion times... and Ruby Falls, plus a host of other places ( tourist Traps) that were up there back in the 50s...

When I went thru there last year, to pay my respects to family's resting places, I sadly thought a lot of the areas there around Signal Mountain, East Ridge, and East Brainerd were kinda run down compared to the way I remember them 40 and 50 years ago...

Bailey Ave near the National Cemetery was really run down.. the house my step dad and his brothers grew up in, after Homer sold the farm up at Livingston.... now had a bunch of Guatemalans living in it.. sadly it looked pretty trashed..

Leaving I headed up old US 27 north bound. Sure was a lot of nice places up that way.
Enjoyed visiting Dayton for the first time in years... but was really bothered when I stopped at the Walmart in Town..

Bunch of buses in the parking lot with Fla plates and full of Guatemalan farm workers/laborers....the were flooding the store while others worked on those old school buses..

watched them swiping all sorts of stuff, and they were being pretty lewed and crude to most of the women in the store, especially high school and college aged...I was imagining how that would have flown back there during the 60s and 70s..

Spent some time traveling up old US 70 west also.. love of pretty back in time 2 lane road there...Old Tennessee there.. really enjoyed that a LOT...

Tennessee use to really be a great place.. but like everywhere else nice in this country.. its sorta been ruined by Liberals and Immigration policies...

Where ever you end up Blake.. hope your family enjoys it immensely. Sad the Pacific NW has to lose your type of person.... would rather have 10,000 illegals sent out of here instead....and 10,000 liberals and hippies 'abducted by aliens'....

and the time I got to meet you up in Tacoma there... thanks for your hospitality and for lunch...

anyone who has never met Blake, believe me, he's one of the campfire's finest...If you ever get the chance, don't miss the opportunity!

Thanks John!

I'll be back west before long. We're still working out a plan.

I figure I can make opportunities anywhere, but can't make anymore time with my pop. I want my boys around him as much as possible. Ain't many still around that've seen the world he has.

Besides, this weather has turned me the color and consistency of an unbaked biscuit! I need some sun and red dirt!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mooner. Moved to the southeast almost 2 years ago. Haven't been back since with no plans to in the near future. Don't miss it one bit. It's nice wearing shorts year around and not get looked at funny for wearing camo.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (16penny, 204guy, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,017
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.