Campfire Tracker
S

NRA Life Member
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Nobody's being closed minded here, we're trying to help you out. No need to get defensive about it, but feel free to figure it out on your own if you don't want any input. It's sad when people here get more concerned about being right than about having useful discussion.

It should be obvious that the lack of case operated linkage on your old Dillon powder measure does not make a valid comparison between the Hornady and modern Dillon presses. That's all I or JOG were trying to tell you.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You act like I said something bad about the Dillon. The lack of a case operated linkage says nothing about the presses. I merely compared the two presses I now have bolted to my desk. I have admittedly more experience with the Hornady as it has loaded thousands of rounds for me. The Dillon has not loaded a single one for me...yet.

I am actually trying to help those who asked for help. I don't actually need your help.

NRA Life Member
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update: The Hornady press arrived from Grafs while I was out turkey hunting. I went through it briefly after I got back. Everything seems in order.

The stool also arrived. It will require assembly. However, it seems to be a fairly good spot to rest my butt for the next quarter-century or so.

[img]https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/7c57f90...ht=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF[/img]

One interesting note: I placed orders with Amazon for various odds and ends while I was gone. The shellplate for 9mm and the Powder Cop die were in there. When I was inventorying everything on Sunday afternoon, I found one shipment from Amazon was missing. The website showed it had been delivered Thursday to "the back porch." We don't have a back porch.

I called customer service Sunday after 1600 ET and without hesitation, the rep re-shipped everything. It was waiting for me when I got home last night (Tuesday).

I'm going to make sure everything is in working order and then put it away until summer. Meanwhile I have the receipt and the UPC from the box to mail in for the free bullets. I'm figuring 500 rounds of .308 150 grain Hornady SP

Get Loaded 2017 Promotion

Before installing the reloader, I need to build a new bench. The old one was second-hand and is starting to get wobbly.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"I can't approach that speed at the same pace on the Hornady unless it has a case or bullet feeder. Can you? Just curious."

Just pulling the handle I loaded 100 rounds in 12 minutes. Casual pace, not speeding.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a lee 1000 and I load 38/357 and 9mm and 40 as well. Once you use a progressive you will never go back to single stage.........Make sure you take the time to get everything set up perfectly from the beginning and you can cruise.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Finally got to use the 550. It makes ammo just fine. Takes a little repetition to get the flow down. Nice machine, but so is the Hornady.

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
But as you move up the food chain to 40sw/45/44mag, the prices for factory ammo go up significantly.

agreed, although the number of people that want to shoot 1000 rounds goes down almost as quickly grin !

True, and that's the crux of the issue...reloading has to be patterned to individual needs(quantity & accuracy). I shoot as lot of calibers from multiple common cal guns, and multiple rifles...including an 5.56mm AR.

But rarely do I shoot 1000's of rounds in 1 range visit, usually hundreds of each caliber. For hardcore target/match shooters they may need a super fast progressive press, because they shoot tons of shots. I usually load 300-500 at a time in each caliber, then shoot casually till the supply is low. Depending on your diet, is whether you really save any money reloading.

One thing is for sure after 30 years of reloading, the more your load the more you shoot...and the "savings" gained are gone smile

Why would loading and shooting more cause you to lose your savings? In fact, most of the components can be purchased at a lesser price per component if you purchase a lot as opposed to a few. I don't understand your logic. It seems logical to me that if you shoot 5000 reloaded rounds using 1000 pieces of brass reloaded 5 times each, you would see a significant savings if you compared that to purchasing 5000 factory rounds.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As I mentioned earlier, you get to shoot more for the same money.

NRA Life Member
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (66Block, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 19 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.