Campfire Ranger
Ha! That too....

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by CP
To this point in time, I have enjoyed phenomenal out-of-the-box performance from all of the Tikkas I have owned and been around. However, from a number of other firearm forums, there are numerous accounts of the T3x not performing as well as the T3. I have no idea if these accounts are statistically significant or just an over representation of normal production anomalies found in all products. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to follow this saga and learn if Will Rogers was right again-"if ain't broke don't fix it". CP.

Absolutely, aluminum costs more than steel yet many were convinced Tikka was somehow trying to save money? You will never find a steel recoil lug in any of my tikka's.

In the future the original tikka action with the small ejection port is going to be sought after by those interested in building a gun that will stack em.

I very seriously doubt that the new designed T3X that is a result of consumer request will ever shoot as well as the original. I fully expect to see a long list of complaints in the future.

A person could always install an aluminum recoil lug but you will still have the compromised action.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy schit...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
Holy schit...

+1 million

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Serious question, why would a widened ejection port effect accuracy? Winchester, savage Remington all have wider ejection ports still. Plenty of customs built off those?

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 04/29/17.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because trystan said so. Customers wanted to be able to get their chubby toad squeezers in the port so Tikka said yes.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Serious question, why would a widened ejection port effect accuracy? Winchester, savage Remington all have wider ejection ports still. Plenty of customs built off those?

The general consensus is the smaller the port,the more rigid the action will be. Making it less susceptible to torque and bedding problems. Promoting accuracy / consistency. You can in fact tweak the chit out of a M700 action with the action screws. The same apples to the blind magazine stocks as well.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

The general consensus is the smaller the port,the more rigid the action will be. Making it less susceptible to torque and bedding problems. Promoting accuracy / consistency. You can in fact tweak the chit out of a M700 action with the action screws. The same apples to the blind magazine stocks as well.

Only problem is the new Tikka T3x port is minimally larger then the original T3. That said I am running out and buying up a bunch of NIB old T3's so I can save them as an investment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do people really think the slightly larger ejection port on the T3X is causing accuracy problems due to the rigidity of the action? Or a steel vs aluminum recoil lug? Quick, someone alert 90% of other manufacturers that their guns won't shoot beacuse of their large ejection ports.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own three of the new T3x's and buddies own 10-15 more. Every T3x I own is a tack driver, as are theirs. In fact, local guys have been buying the new Tikka's faster than any other rifle in the store. The T3x is our top seller so far in 2017. Most of these guys are Remington 700 converts and rave about the accuracy. The majority are now buying a second and a third.

The issue Dennis is having with accuracy is the exception, not the norm. This conclusion is drawn from hundreds and hundreds of samples that have passed through our doors. Although the new ejection port is minimally larger, I don't put any stock in the assumption that it's creating accuracy issues. I've see too many clover leaf groups with the T3x's to buy into the theory.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have purchased 3 NIB T3X's all in .300 Win and they are all outstanding sub MOA shooters, fit and function has also been perfect....The minor tweaks Tikka made on the X has only improved an already great rifle........Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have purchased 3 NIB T3X's all in .300 Win and they are all outstanding sub MOA shooters, fit and function has also been perfect....The minor tweaks Tikka made on the X has only improved an already great rifle........Hb

This is not possible grin you must have replaced the steel lug with an aluminum lug

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone knows about T3x's, it's SAS. Hands down. And you know damn well that as many that have been through his shop, he's the first to know when something is amiss.

I'm wondering if the laminated stock might have something to do with it? Maybe some sawdust in the lug recess? Or termites? Or carpenter bees?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"Accuracy theory" threads are always some of the most entertaining on the Campfire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on now, you know you've got a theory. You went there!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This is nothing. Go hang out with the BR crowd for a couple years. They have even taken to epoxying the internals of perfectly good scopes. Aint nuttin going on on the fire that those boys haven't already taken too far,lol.

Last edited by Otter6; 05/01/17.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If anyone knows about T3x's, it's SAS. Hands down. And you know damn well that as many that have been through his shop, he's the first to know when something is amiss.

I'm wondering if the laminated stock might have something to do with it? Maybe some sawdust in the lug recess? Or termites? Or carpenter bees?

Hmmm that's a thought perhaps they got a bad shipment of wood from China that isn't dense enough for good accuracy? smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Extra Ultra Superlite is made from balsa.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Extra Ultra Superlite is made from balsa.

That would explain these reports of inaccuracy for sure

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I picked up a T3x in 30-06 a few weeks ago. It averages ~1.5 MOA with the few Federal factory loads that I’ve tested. I haven’t done much load development yet, but it shoots sub-MOA with 165-grain Partitions at close to 2,800 fps over IMR 4350. I’ve got 180-grain Partitions doing 2,760 fps and 1.5 MOA, and I can probably shrink that by fiddling with seating depth and learning how to shoot better.

I also have a T3 in 308 that averages under 1 MOA with Hornady 155-grain American Gunner, and will often put three shots touching at 200 yards. It shoots ~1.25 MOA with the factory loads it prefers and ~1.5 MOA with most other factory loads. It shoots ~1.3 MOA with milspec ammo and ~1.75 MOA with the rest.

If someone who knew how to shoot got hold of these rifles, they would probably do even better.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,557
Posts18,473,057
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.