Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by mudhen
My experiences with SW are limited, as the nearest ones are about 150 miles away, one east and one west, down I-10. However, I have found that the counter guys at both are more than happy to help me, even if they are not exactly experts on whatever issues I am having. Year before last, as I was packing for my annual elk hunt, I discovered that the lens caps for one of my Leupold scopes were still on my grandson's rifle in Texas. Since I was headed to Las Cruces next day, I dropped by the new SW to see if they had any that would fit. Naturally, the only ones they had were Butler Creek. They did not have a sizing chart and I could not pull one up on my cell phone. The young man helping me, bless his heart, went and got a new Leupold scope like mine out of the box and went through just about every one they had in their display case--and they had a bunch of them. It took a little time, but I went back home that evening with a set and finished my packing. I don't know what his hourly pay rate was, but they darned sure didn't make any money off of me that day.

Ben, that's the normal style of experiences I have at most of the ones here in Oregon...

The guy "Will" just was an anomaly....dumber than Conrad in the Medford store.

I've seen Conrad recommend Rem 6 1/2 primers for guys who are loading for an AR 15...

and more recently recommend Rem Small Pistol primers, since the guy who was asking which primers to get,
had just picked up some sort of AR pistol variant.... luckily one of the other store associates intercepted him
and told him to get Small Rifle, even if it was a pistol...Conrad was arguing, short barrels required the small pistol primer
and longer barrels needed the small rifle.

Minus that, most of them will admit they don't know an answer... but are happy to get someone that does.

Seafire is a great guy and very kindly makes it to a lot of Campfire events that are an awfully long distance from Oregon. If he wants to complain about stores on Oregon, more power to him.

We have encountered him at the last two Quemado/Armijo Springs events and expect to see him again.

You might have a look at the Albuquerque Sportsmen's Warehouse store on Renaissance Blvd. if you ever are nearby.
The selection is great and the staff is fairly decent, though I suspect that several retirees fill in who are not full timers.

That means that they understand hunting, guns, etc. but they may not realize much about what they have in stock. I've often found things that one or more of them had no idea were on hand.

One neat thing about this SW is that they have a few items I did not expect, such as gold prospecting pans and paraphernalia and pretty good maps.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).