Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 32 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
See if you can figure out swagging bismuth.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
See if you can figure out swagging bismuth.

Moi?

As if I NEED another project for my retirement?

Not a bad idea however.

Will I need an engineering degree? My biological training doesn't go too far along the lines of "exotic" metal forming.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan,

I've used SPG to lube all my balls--well, not all, but those in shooting experiments. Dunno if it helped, however, as I didn't compare results with dry balls.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Much less friction with sweaty balls.

If they ain't sweaty you ain't doing it right.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wonder if a felt wad under the ball would help. Sabots come to mind too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Felt wads are good stuff for a number of applications, card wads also. I've not tried it with balls, but ...

BP and flat base bullets get a card wad if loaded via cartridge or ramrod. The muzzle loaders get a lubed felt wad and card.

Smokeless lead from a straightwall case, greaser or paper patched get a card wad. Soft lead and paper patch prospers immensely from a card wad if you drive it hard. 300 grains/1600 fps from a .44 is hard. I suggest to you able bodied and competent casters, that if you have not tried paper patch it is a worthy endeavor. Take 90% of what you know about nekkid grease groove shooting/loading and stuff it in file 13.

Bottle neck cases get a hearty Hail Mary!

Don't use card/felt with a suppressor. Not evah!

A lubed felt wad might work with a round ball but you'll need to keep the powder off the lube. Mebbe a Dacron tuft betwixt would do that.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/18/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never tried paper patching. Been threatening to for .30-30, .30-40, etc. but...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OK, I'm going to hijack my own thread briefly.

Paper patching is caveman country. Read: Not rocket science. Careful oversight of dims and patch material is wise. Paul Matthews worked up a good book on the topic..."The Paper Jacket".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is a hunting load.

[Linked Image]

Back on topic: I just know I can beat this with my .22....CF

[Linked Image]

Apologies to those paying attention. The target above was erroneously reported elsewhere here on the 'Fire as 10 shots and that is incorrect. 5 shots is the number, verified from the log book. 50 yards, Rem 513S, Wolf MT. The X-ring is 3/8" diameter, you can figure the group dims.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That sounds suspiciously like engine room wisdom. laugh

-Laffin'-

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh Shades of the Saturday Night Live "Schweddy Balls " spoof of National Public Radio. From 1998 when they were still funny. Worth a look if you don't remember it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That sounds suspiciously like engine room wisdom. laugh

-Laffin'-

I learned LONG ago to trust your snipes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We (the black gang) make the best coffee, too.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Hats off to the all the Black Gang guys! I got to work in the boiler room of the Forrest Sherman (DD-931) for two weeks on a Middie summer training cruise. Some good guys down there. That was decades ago but I still remember that the watch supervisor was a First Class PO Finlayson (?).

Holy $hit, the temperature in some areas of the boiler room was 140 + if I remember correctly and even got to spend some time cleaning firesides (I believe that's what the term was). I looked like I had rolled around in someones fire pit afterwards.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I tried cast bullets in the hornet and just couldn't get good accuracy at the lower vol....if your thinking a load for small game to replace the 22lr ..their is a good thread on the Marlin forum on the 25-20....I have a cast load 85 gr bullet I think 1200 fps super accurate out of my 92 and is great for small game....biggest cost is the primer..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I tried cast bullets in the hornet and just couldn't get good accuracy at the lower vol....

With the Lil'gun load I posted on page one, switching primers completely ruins the groups. I didn't make note of which primers I had shot some of the first groups with - I only knew they were silver. When I made another batch, I used Federal pistol primers thinking I had used a 'milder' type with the low charges in that load. My groups became very erratic so I tried the CCI 450s, the only other silver primer I was loading Hornet with. Those brought the groups back together again, something that was kind of a surprise given the small charge of powder involved. (The charge thrown was with the #5 rotor for the RCBS Little Dandy measure; the target says 5.8, but I believe the charge is actually running 5.6 or 5.7 grains.)

I'm sure I can fiddle with those loads even more and find additional improvements.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Un-huh....primers.....

Just yesterday I finished a phase of load development for the Sneezer that after some 500 or so rounds with various powders, primers, different alloys with two bullet styles, shenanigans related to case prep, neck tension exploration, and...more....I finally settled on a number of loads that will be go to standards for the cartridge for purposes of the mass slaughter of feral swine. One of the front runners is L'il Gun. Blue Dot gets high marks as well. Once I jacked up the load density sufficiently AND used the correct primer, IMR 4227 began to hum.

Getting past the emotion and reducing myself to the simpler statistics I came to the conclusion that Hell will freeze before I purchase another lot of Winchester SPP or SRP. Praised be unto Zeus that I have an M1 Carbine which is of a non-discriminatory mind and cares not that all the holes aren't touching.

That said, I was stirring the pot yesterday, looking for my .22 RF alternative and perhaps invented a new round. It is what I'll call the .444 Marlin CB Short. It is of the same case specs as the .444 except the case length is much shorter. A fella can use .44 Mag brass, or even .44 Spec. if inclined. Velocity is within reasonable range of the infamous CCI .22 CB Short, or high 600's thru upper 700's, mebbe pinchin' 800 a little. Bullet is a 320 grain cruiser I designed and Steve Brooks worked up a mould on. Double duty Hindenburg if you pistoleros are interested. It has been a special purpose success.

[Linked Image]

So yesterday I'm out there with vast diligence working on the .22 Alternative Improved and came up with this on the 50 yard line. Just a first jab and worthy of further examination.

[Linked Image]

My estimate of costs:

14 cents/bullet based on lead/tin cost of $3.00/$20.00/pound. That can be reduced as tin is not necessary at this performance range, so lets call it 13.5 cents per bullet.
3.5 cents/round for powder (Blue Dot) and 3 cents per primer.

So, it's about 20 cents per round for cast lead home loaded mayhem. Yes, it is twice the caliber and 8 times the weight, but I'm not sure it factors to greater deadlines in linear fashion. It does meet standards for precision however.

And yeah, I screwed up transcribing the data on the lower pair.

I need another cuppa Joe,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Revisiting an idea tried before in different iterations and looking for thoughts. In days past there have been several straightwall .22 CF cartridges, the most recent failure being the Cooper .22 CCM. They were in circulation and competing with an abundant supply of cheap RF ammo and fell by the wayside.

We have been on the wrong side of the price/supply equation for some years now and I ponder the viability of pursuing the idea once again. Rather than trying to recreate the Cooper round I'm thinking that the target for performance should or might be the .22 LR at the standard velocity range with 40-45 grain cast or jacketed .224" bullets, something that would be suitable for the handloading crowd.

Some of the numbers I ponder:

Depending on a few variables, 3,500 - 7,000 loads from a pound of powder. Assuming $25/# we are left with about .35-.71 cents/round.
Assuming $2/# for lead, the cost per bullet is 1.15 cents per round.
Primers will cost about 3 cents each at current prices.

Total cost per round, excluding brass is about 4.85 cents per round. I figure brass life to be very long due to low pressures and on assumption of compatibility of die/brass dims. Lighter bullets or round balls might be driven with only a primer, thus presenting some additional cost reductionns.

Thoughts?

Don't be bashful, I can take a jab or two.

A slingshot and small rock is even less expensive and it's effective too!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yer a funny fella.

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I got lucky on the rimfire alternative. I used a small charge of green dot (I think) to form cases for my .218 mashburn bee. Just for the heck of it I shot them and accuracy was pretty decent. Like others, I found that it is just about on target if I use the top of the bottom vertical duplex post at 50 yards. I used hornady bee bullets with the big hollow points so i can tell them apart from full power loads. I think velocity is higher than .22 lr though. getting down close to 1100 fps might be tricky with my simple methods and jacketed bullets.

The .444 big bore squirrel blaster is a cool idea!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that 444 would be great for barking squirrels. barking with a 30-06 works fine so that big ole 444 punkin should set up a shock wave to beat all.
i tried barking once with my 45-70. aimed a smidgin high. no bark blast but plenty of squirrel mush.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 9 of 32 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.