Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool old picture from 1898. Battleship USS Texas

https://strategypage.com/military_photos/20170523232027.aspx

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ah look at that, just like a Kiwi naval ship...only newer.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice piece of nearly forgotten history, Calhoun. Thanks for posting.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Note the tarp hanging down her side,....she's just finished taking on bunker coal.

The Monitor style turret's noteworthy,....carrying some of the FIRST U.S.N. breechloading guns,.....a horribly risky system that employed transitional ( and somewhat unstable) "Brown Powder. Her magazine's vulnerability rating ? ....'bout as bad as it could get.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Note the tarp hanging down her side,....she's just finished taking on bunker coal.

The Monitor style turret's noteworthy,....carrying some of the FIRST U.S.N. breechloading guns,.....a horribly risky system that employed transitional ( and somewhat unstable) "Brown Powder. Her magazine's vulnerability rating ? ....'bout as bad as it could get.

GTC

Well, sister ship to the Maine.. and we all know how that turned out.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Old reenacting bud of mine, Al Sumrall, co-arthored this book on the subject!!

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Hoodoo-Battleship-Texas-1895-1911/dp/1466248947

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I was going to ask, litter mate to the Maine?

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 05/24/17.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Ah look at that, just like a Kiwi naval ship...only newer.

ouch.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Only ship of its class left, before refitting with the super structure that's on it now.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Both ships, this one and BB-35 held an unbelievable amount of first in surface warfare ship design and history... a lot of info doesn't show up on this one or at least not easily found, USS Texas (BB-35) is a different story and there's a lot of it.

Phil

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Only ship of its class left, before refitting with the super structure that's on it now.

Sorry,....wrong ship, ........

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 1898 era cruiser USS Olympia can be toured in Philadelphia. This was Dewey's flagship at Manila Bay. "You may fire when ready, Gridley..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Olympia is worth the time to tour if in Philly. This Texas is a wreck in the Chesapeake Bay, sunk as a target I think.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love Naval history. The Battleships and heavy cruisers. U.S., British and German. My favorite: HMS Rodney. Friggin' killer!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The transition from sail to steam happened FAST, and that whole era was indeed one of all sortsa' dynamic engineering stunts,.....

[Linked Image]

The U.S.S. Vesuvious was one such intriguing venture,.....

from Wiki......

"Vesuvius carried three 15-inch (38-cm) cast iron pneumatic guns, invented by D. M. Medford and developed by Edmund Zalinski, a retired officer of the United States Army.[3] They were mounted forward side-by-side at a fixed elevation of 16 degrees. Gun barrels were 55 feet (17 meters) long with the muzzles extending 15 feet (4.6 meters) through the deck 37 feet (11 meters) abaft the bow. In order to train these weapons, the ship had to be aimed, like a gun, at its target. Compressed air from a 1000 psi (70 atm) reservoir projected the shells from the dynamite guns. Two air compressors were available to recharge the reservoir.[1]
The shells fired from the guns were steel or brass casings 7 feet (2 meters) long with the explosive contained in the conical forward part of the casing and spiral vanes on the after part to rotate the projectile. The explosive used in the shells themselves was actually a "desensitized blasting gelatin" composed of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine. It was less sensitive to shock than regular dynamite but still sensitive enough that compressed air, rather than powder, had to be utilized as the propellant. Shells containing 550 pounds (250 kg) of explosive had a maximum range of 1 mile (1.6 km), but range could be extended to 4000 yards (3.7 km) by reducing projectile weight to 200 pounds (100 kg). Maximum muzzle velocity was 800 feet (250 meters) per second. Range could be reduced by releasing less compressed air from the reservoir. Ten shells per gun were carried on board, and 15 shells were fired in 16 minutes 50 seconds during an 1889 test. The shells employed an electrical fuze which could be either set to explode on contact or delayed to explode underwater.[1][3] "

[Linked Image]

and,....

Spanish-American War[edit]
Decommissioned on 25 April 1895 for major repairs, Vesuvius re-entered service on 12 January 1897 with Lieutenant Commander John E. Pillsbury in command. The ship got underway from Philadelphia Navy Yard, bound for Florida, and operated off the east coast through the spring of the following year, 1898. By this time, American relations with Spain were worsening. The American Fleet gathered in Florida waters, and Vesuvius hurried south from Newport, Rhode Island, and arrived at Key West, Florida, on 13 May. She remained there until 28 May, when she headed for blockade duty in Cuban coastal waters. Vesuvius performed special duties at the discretion of the Fleet Commander in Chief and served as a dispatch vessel between Cuba and Florida into July 1898.
On 13 June, Vesuvius conducted the first of eight shore bombardment missions against Santiago, Cuba. The cruiser stealthily closed the shore under cover of darkness, loosed a few rounds of her 15-inch dynamite charges, and then retired to sea. Psychologically, Vesuvius's bombardment caused great anxiety among the Spanish forces ashore, for her devastating shells came in without warning, unaccompanied by the roar of gunfire usually associated with a bombardment. Admiral Sampson wrote accordingly, that Vesuvius bombardments had "great effect." Although the dynamite guns were relatively quiet, detonation of their large high explosive shells sounded different from contemporary gunpowder-filled artillery shells; and soldiers observed the explosions "made holes like the cellar of a country house."[1]

The US Naval Institute proceedings did a historical piece on this ship in the mid 50s,.......I cut it out and it was one of the more dog eared treasured components of a voluminous scrapbook,....armored cruisers and dreadnaughts were a real focal point for me, in those years.

Probably has something to do with a lifelong recreational artillery bug.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was very interesting. What a ship with that type of weapon. And for that era. Check the Rodney, and you'll know what I mean. Very different approach to turret placement, but, very deadly to the opposition. As the Rodney proved against the Bismarck.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Resurrecting a dead thread to show that this image (first iteration of the USS Texas) made it onto the Henry .22 that the Battleship Texas foundation is offering for sale. I bought # 240 out of 250 the other day.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MRitchie; 01/17/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My grandpa was in the Navy during WW1, he said it was a time of iron ships, and wooden men ,(blockheads)

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I didn’t know those were made. I have been on that ship a bunch of times

Last edited by hanco; 01/18/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting comments from the late crossfireoops.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 43 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.