Hop To
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Gents:

Carol does some stargazing as a hobby and so after reading the yak on birdforum and cloudynights, decided to spring for a Cannon 10x42 IS for her. She hasn't gotten her paws on them yet... If you don't mind carrying around an unorthodox clunky bino on your chest with a really short warranty, the view is amazing.

Comparing them to two other 10x binos on hand, pretty much removed all doubts about stabilization. The glass clarity in this 10x Canon is also excellent. Snagged the 10x for the "L" glass which apparently is the higher grade and they are waterproof. Some of the dealers are selling these for under a grand. I would imagine they are hard to move as a stock item, so they are easier to shop for deals.

Personally, have a fair amount of tremor from ulnar nerve accidents involving both elbows (balance in all things). But I can still hold a 15x bino steady enough to use well at 300-500yds to check horns on whitetail in farm fields. Longer distances than that and it's on a tripod, which brings out its real potential both terrestrially and in the night sky. This Canon, however, really makes the long view easy, sans tripod. Am thinking maybe Carol would enjoy that 15x50 model even more...:)

They aren't going to replace my hunting binoculars...but they certainly may augment some particular situations. Worth a look if you have the shakes.

Defend the Constitution
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
TomK:

How would you compare the view of these binoculars? Are they as good as the alphas, or are they have a mid level view quality?

T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I'm no expert.

So far and that isn't very far, they look as good as the Swaro and Zeiss on hand. My guess would be comparable to an SLC , which I really like. Not quite the EL wowvision for that first look, but they appear very sharp nearly to the edges. Personally do prefer the more traditional look than flat, but that is subjective. I haven't checked them for glare cause the sun only shines here bi-weekly. So far, very impressed, but they are also cumbersome and unfamiliar to handle. I 'd use them in a stand/blind in a heartbeat. Maybe that smaller 8x25 for stillhunting, would be a true one handed bino--but I doubt my marriage with a "old" 7x42 porro for that activity is going to end...:)

They have an amazing steady and clear view, unsupported handheld, next to another 10x looking at stuff down on the river...at least for me. Not a convert--just saying.

Defend the Constitution
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Ornery, I'm going to modify the above reply. Have been going out post supper and eyeballing deer up in the farm fields to compare the Canon 10x42 IS and a Zeiss HT 10x54. I haven't stayed out any later than "legal light" which here is about 30 minutes past sunset.

The Canon "L" glass is very good and very flat edge to edge without the stabilization feature engaged. Whether or not it resolves detail better than the HT (or other gack that can be measured) would have to be tested by those more technically inclined.

But I can assure you that from 100-850yds with stabilization engaged, the Canon certainly enabled me resolve the physical details of every deer significantly better.

fwiw...

Defend the Constitution
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I love my 10x30IS binoculars. When hand held I can spot squirrels 5 to one over my son with his 8x32 EL's. Put the EL's on a rest and they are better. I have been mean to my Canon's. They live in my truck on the floor under the seat. Never seen lens covers. Slid off the hood a couple times to the gravel. Fogged them up in heavy rain and they keep on truckin. I get about a year out of a set of batteries. So far I have not found any Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss binoculars that give me the fine details due to the stabilization. When they die I will replace them with the 10x42 L IS WP model.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B2

T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Good to know, HG. Mine went sliding off the seat braking for a deer and the electronic worries started. We checked out Jupiter & moons the other nite and have been comparing them against others bins from the "big 3" up to 45min after sunset. `

Defend the Constitution

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.