Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried that a couple times with heavy artillery, with much the same results. Plus, it always gave me a slight case of the willies sending a big chunk of lead sailing off at an optimum trajectory for long distance unknown carnage.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Funny (?) thought about that "shot a bullet into the sky...." thing. When I first began to work up the bullet for the Sneezer and had a general form established, I began doing some calculations for BC via online resources.

[Linked Image]

It's 183.5 grains, SD of 276 and BC calculated at .386 or there abouts if started in the subsonic range of 1050 fps. I did not believe it frankly, but several different calculators opined similar numbers. Ballistics sez...............at 1000 yards it would lose about 250 fps velocity. The prolate nose form and flat base do well at those speeds. Drops are hysterical...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you figure out the barrel angle needed to achieve a 1000 yard hit? laugh

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No, but I know max depression angle before I shoot myself in the foot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Rainy day and a good time to look under rocks for answers to puzzles on this topic. Heretic that I am, four long rifle cartridges were disassembled today for inspection and measurement. I learned a few things along the way.

Hey, last time I pulled a rimfire bullet I might have been 18 or so...

[Linked Image]

The victims and specs, such as they are, follow in LR order of the photo. I will post the mic'd diameter of the bullet heel but see no use in the information due to distortion from pulling same from crimped cases.

Old school Winchester EZXS in the 50 round yellow box: Heel - .180-.190"; case wall .008", charge weight 2.5 gr/~60% load density

CCI Quiet: Heel .198-.202", case wall .008", charge weight .55 gr

Federal Auto Match: Heel .204-.206", case wall .008", charge weight 1.4 gr.

CCI SV: Heel .197-.201:, case wall .008", charge weight 1.0 gr, Load Density ~40%

The bullet/case diameter for all but the CCI SV was .224". The CCI SV case was .224" and the bullet .2235"

Logic suggests the heel diameter prior to mutilation should be .208". Having no frame of reference I was somewhat amazed to see common aspects of some components. All bullets had a cupped base that was close to a full hemisphere in form. All cases were primed with what appeared to be the same light green priming mix despite the age of the Winchester sample. Sticker on the box said $1.29 and the bullets had converted their copper wash to a white powder fungus looking mess.

The exercise raises a question for which I have no answer. How did Col. Askins pull and reuse the bullets successfully for his .221 Askins? I define "successfully" as winning the championship at the match referenced previously. Did he sneak in a swage die we don't know about? laugh

The array of powders found in the cartridges just amazes me. The dark powders at each end of the array are quite similar in appearance and ridiculously fine, almost a true powder, or dust like. The CCI Quiet powder looks a lot like a flake version of Trail Boss. Number 3 looks a bit like WW231 in form but the color is quite a bit darker than 231. Lots of graphite on #2 & #, otherwise not a hint of that in the other two.

I'll be back in a day or three with a sketch of what might serve the cause and we can have us a "design a new cartridge" contest. First prize is a plastic hula girl for the dash of your truck.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Fifty years ago, when I was a young trooper with a steady hand, I did some exhibition shooting. I used a first generation Colt Trooper loaded thusly. .38 Special brass, with the flash hole drilled out, leaving more than enough shoulder to hold the primer. Push the unprimed case into a block of paraffin, Gulf Wax, available at grocery stores, if my memory is still good. This loads the projectile -think cookie cutter. Insert primer. No powder needed. You can target shoot with this. An aiming point above the target is required, as there is no recoil to speak of. A bullet trap of some kind is required. I used a box filled with magazines. It will penetrate drywall at 30-40 feet! Mark your case heads so that you don't mix them with the real stuff. Back then I filled the head stamp markings with red nail polish. There are more and better permanent markers available today.

I see no reason this would not work in straight wall chambered rifle. A top break single shot (TC Contender et al) might be ideal. The rifles might not tend to shoot so low.

I do not recall how often cleaning was required. I started the demonstration with a clean, lightly oiled bore. Most demonstrations involved less than fifteen rounds and the bore and chamber was cleaned immediately for duty ammunition.

I try to keep a good supply of .22 lr on hand. I don't think I dropped below 7000 rounds and I did not buy any from black marketers during the latest crunch. Pellet guns are a good alternative for I targets and plinking.

Not a writer, butI thought this might interest some.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bill Jordan used to toss aspirin tablets out in front and smoke 'em from the hip with those wax bullets. A previous Mrs. Pappy saw him do it when she was a girl.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BD
The exercise raises a question for which I have no answer. How did Col. Askins pull and reuse the bullets successfully for his .221 Askins? I define "successfully" as winning the championship at the match referenced previously. Did he sneak in a swage die we don't know about?

From the American Rifleman. A little more detail that Skeeter's version.

The gun was lightweight junk and went in the trash. The ammo, however,was interesting and Askins kept it. That ammo was a long skinny .22 center-fire round, close in dimensions to the old .22 WRF. Center-fire is the key word in this equation, because the Velo Dog cartridge easily made the definition of “any center-fire.” Askins was competing primarily with autos, using an early Match grade 1911 for the .45s stages and a Colt Woodsman for the .22 events. He had no choice but to use a .38 revolver for the center-fire, as did almost all other competitors. Charley wanted to use an auto for center-fire, but there were none available. So he made his own, using a wildcat .22 round based on the Velo Dog cartridge. First he had to get the dimension of the Velo Dog down to approximately the same as that of the .22 Long Rifle. This was very complicated and included shortening the case, reducing the diameter of the rim and reaming the case mouth to accept .22 bullets. Tedious, but it was not as hard as converting a King Woodsman to fire the stuff. Buchanan, an ace pistolsmith, changed the gun to center-fire, modified the breech face and extractor for the thicker rim, and then opened the chamber and modified the magazine feed lips for proper feeding. It was cut-and-try gunsmithing, but they made it work.

Dubbed the .221 Askins, the new round was an almost recoilless winner and the good Colonel started taking all the marbles in every match he entered. As Camp Perry approached, the word was out that Askins couldn't be beaten—his new gun and ammo raised his center-fire scores by an average of 9.7 points per string.

And this from the Casual Shooter.

These were cheap revolvers that originated in France, intended for bicyclists as a defense against against dogs attacks. They fired a curious centerfire cartridge, the 5.5 Velo Dog, that was similar in size to the .22LR, but much longer- and it was a centerfire cartridge:

[Linked Image]

The Velo Dogs were loaded with a jacketed bullet, as opposed to the heeled lead bullets used in .22 rimfire cartridges. The bullet diameter was the same as the standard .22, but the case diameter was larger than the bore, like most modern cartridges.

[Linked Image]

Askins managed to buy up or otherwise acquire several thousand rounds of of these obsolete cartridges. He pulled the bullets on several hundred, and shortened them on a lathe to .22LR length. He then found a supplier of lead bullets in the correct size, a set of reloading dies, and had one of his Colt Woodsman pistols modified to take the new cartridge, which he dubbed the .221 Askins. His load was a cast lead semi-wadcutter over about 1.5gr of Bullseye or DuPont #5, depending which version of the story you read, and with it he won the All-Around pistol championship in 1937. Following that match, the NRA amended the "any centerfire" pistol rules to read "any centerfire (.32 caliber and above.)"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
a cast lead semi-wadcutter over about 1.5gr of Bullseye

A man after my own heart.

Thanks for putting that up, I had recalled he used the pulled bullets and this makes much more sense. Puzzling about the "reaming" of the case mouth....I'll not go down that path if only because it would have an deleterious effect on costs and maybe utility. If the ammo factories these days can make a heeled bullet sing, then I can too.

I am..........disturbed.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
THAT's the attitude I like to see!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A sketch for consideration and a few things I puzzle about. It is not to scale, but the basic dims of the .22 LR case were filched from SAAMI. That said...

[Linked Image]

A few "issues" which I have no answer for and maybe one of you do.

- The rim is radiused on the rimfire ammo, but I doubt that building brass for a cf cartrige is amenable to that form. The SAAMI chamber spec. indicates a rim recess w/o radius and the one chamber I've looked at does not have a radiused rim recess. Anybody have any thoughts?

- The primer pocket depth above is a WAG based on dims from a .22 Hornet case and measurement of a CCI primer. My measurements were not precise due to a concave face in the primer pocket. The diameter is fairly solid however. Measurement of the primer yields .175" diameter and .118 length. The pocket mic's at .1725" diameter and .114" depth.

- I have no way to measure the web thickness accurately and do not know the industry standard. Crude measure on the Hornet brass suggests a ballpark of .070", but my eyes are skeptical. I pulled .050" web out of the air.

- Pocket wall thickness is a puzzle for me as well. My calcs suggest a .026" wall around the primer and I've no idea if that is good, bad or indifferent. The steering wheel states the first priority is safety, second is durability. Any insights would be appreciated.

Note the case capacity is reduced approximately 1/3. This was calculated on the assumption that the bullet heel is .125" long. Previous poking around puts capacity of the RF case around 3.0 grains of Bullseye and charges ranging from .55-2.5 grains of whatever they load RF ammo with. Were I a gambler I'd think the reduction of capacity would help reduce velocity spreads with handloads and currently available powders.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth today.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, a few more tidbits?

Took a look at a couple of fresh out of the mould 225438's of the Lyman persuasion and find the approximate diameter of the gas check shank with Lyman #2 alloy is ~ .215". So close, yet so far. Dang it....

Waiting for a call back from a custom brass maker to see if they want a piece of this with their fancy CNC equipment. If they are game I will start the ball rolling just to see how it works. It's only money.....

What are we going to name this thing?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it comes to rolling ammo with small charges and speeds, I recall an article years ago in an issue of Shooting Times, I think, that attempted to reveal some of the factors that went into the the making of precision rimfire target ammo. As I recall it was Eley 22 LR ammo commonly used in biathlon competition. As I also recall they had worked out a couple of very significant factors which affected the accuracy of the finished rounds. One was the priming process , the distribution of the compound, and the consistency of the quantity. The other factor involved the effect of ambient conditions on the powder when the rounds were assembled, perhaps especially humidity. By controlling for these things, they had managed to create a product which earned a reputation for a higher degree of accuracy than other manufacturers had at the time.

Thankfully, Remington still maintains their line of Golden Bullet ammo as a baseline, so we can see how far the world of rimfire ammo has come. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
God willing I will crush the Golden Bullet standard and threaten Ely enough to make them pay attention.

There be a bunch of puzzles in this journey that I guess only testing will resolve. Fortunately it won't be terribly expensive as I have one of those "plays both ways" T/C Contenders and a LR barrel won't break the bank. Yeah, I know, "You don't have a LR barrel!?!?" Never occurred I needed one until I started hanging out with you maniacs. laugh

Will have to reacquaint myself with ancient style reloading techniques, mebbe a mould but the jury is still out on that. Pretty much hinges on whether the folks out in WY will want to play ball with making the brass. If anyone has first hand experience in having ANYONE make custom brass that led to a good conclusion, would appreciate an ID and/or phone number.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, in case the idea of casting such small bullets scares you, don't be. I bought my .225 mould before the big rimfire scare, when MidwayUSA offered a birthday discount (and moulds were yet in less scary price territory to begin with). But the mould has proven to be easy to work with and, while I haven only begun to tinker with loading tiny cast bullets, I can see where messing around with this stuff could become somewhat addictive. (I certainly like shooting small centerfire pip-squeak loads via single shot more than shooting rimfires singly loaded.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have that phobia.

[Linked Image]

Issue at hand is the heeled bullet geometry. Maybe, might be, possibly a swage die and big hammer would serve the purpose? I have some experience with that an much larger calibers. Maybe I need a smaller hammer?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a smallish 30 caliber Lyman mould which has a heel and drops like a dream from the moulds. I bought a couple thousand 22 cal gas checks when I bought the 22 cal mould, so I have been using them, but I suspect I could probably forego them without any serious issues. Lots of stuff to play with. I guess I could be one of those odd-balls at the public range who attract other interesting oddballs. smile I wish I could get a 22 mould similar to that 30 cal mould, but perhaps that's overthinking things.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/29/17.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.22-2-45
.22 Alt (for alternative)
.22 Hot Dog (hey, I'm eating a hot dog right now)
.22 Wisp
.22 Zephyr
B-22

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
-laffin'-,,,,,,,B-22 has a ring, no? laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.