Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A 123 Scenar has a BC of .527, and probably starts 300+ fps faster right out of the gate.

The new Hornady 147 ELD has a BC of .697 and probably has 150+ fps on the Woodleigh.

The Woodleigh starts out slower than both, and sheds its velocity faster than both. Its science, not opinion.

HR IC

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
A 123 Scenar has a BC of .527, and probably starts 300+ fps faster right out of the gate.

The new Hornady 147 ELD has a BC of .697 and probably has 150+ fps on the Woodleigh. Its science, not opinion.

Are you daft? I'm not shooting an elk with a Scenar or Hornady match bullet. Even the ELD-X line has marginal terminal performance. And why would I want to move down to a 140 when the 160 has plenty of reach?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have yet to see an animal die from numbers on paper.
When I was 20-something I could repeatedly keep 10 rounds in a 12" circle at 500 yards with my as issue, open sight, several times Depot Overhauled, Turbo Hydramatic/Winchester/Colt M16A1 with issued M193 ammo. Goose loose crap rifle with crap issue ammo though fired prone with a tight sling, many thousands of us qualified Expert with such a crumby combo.
Take the scopes off your "Creeds" and see if you can do better than that. But, but, but.....Oh, Yep, You don't gots iron sights. LOL.
How many thousand yard records with the "Creed" are smaller than the record with a 30 caliber cartridge? Oh, but, but, but, LOL

OK, I admit, there was a dog that ate my homework and the vet could't save him. whistle

Last edited by Deflagrate; 06/02/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The world record 1000 yd bench rest group was shot with a 6 Dasher shooting high BC 105 Bergers.

What does a crappy M16 shot in your glory days have to do with applied ballistics?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My attraction would be that 270 performance in a short action. You are probably right - 270 performance, which would be pretty neat in a short action and more compact rifle. Actually maybe a little better because of better BC in 6.5mm. I have never shot a creedmoor or a 260, so I am sure not trying take anything away from those rounds. I just think 270ish performance in short action would be kind of neat. In a way, a fast 6.5mm in a short action fills a similar position in short action cartridges as does the 7mm mag in standard action - fast, flat, good bc and sd. Not the the equivalent of 7mm, more a like a counterpart in SA. I haven't been around the wsm cartridges - 6.5 wsm may be great or a little too much of a good thing

I have heard of a new one Hornady is working on 6.5 PRC. There were rumors of Ruger chambering it a while ago.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry, I kind of meant that as a response to an earlier post but got the reply thing wrong.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Killin like a .270.... and recoiling like a Roberts.... seems like a pretty damn good place to be..

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slope77
My attraction would be that 270 performance in a short action. You are probably right - 270 performance, which would be pretty neat in a short action and more compact rifle. Actually maybe a little better because of better BC in 6.5mm. I have never shot a creedmoor or a 260, so I am sure not trying take anything away from those rounds. I just think 270ish performance in short action would be kind of neat. In a way, a fast 6.5mm in a short action fills a similar position in short action cartridges as does the 7mm mag in standard action - fast, flat, good bc and sd. Not the the equivalent of 7mm, more a like a counterpart in SA. I haven't been around the wsm cartridges - 6.5 wsm may be great or a little too much of a good thing

I have heard of a new one Hornady is working on 6.5 PRC. There were rumors of Ruger chambering it a while ago.

You're going to run into COAL issues with longer VLD bullets in a Remington short action if the case length is greater than 47mm. The 260, 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM, and 6.5 WSM all have cases longer than 47mm.

The 270 WSM, 7mm SAUM, and 7mm WSM all approximate 270 WIN/280 REM performance in a short action and while the longer 6.5mm VLD bullets have superior BC numbers, they may be too long to fit into the SA magazine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the main reason I went 6.5x47L on my last build, to shoot the pointy stuff at 260 speeds from a 2.8" magazine box. I wound up using a DBM anyway, so the Creed would have been fine too. Even so, a slick 130 at 2,900 makes things easy when recoil is light, whatever the case design is.

Now with even more aplomb
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
When I was 20-something I could repeatedly keep 10 rounds in a 12" circle at 500 yards with my as issue, open sight, several times Depot Overhauled, Turbo Hydramatic/Winchester/Colt M16A1 with issued M193 ammo. Goose loose crap rifle with crap issue ammo though fired prone with a tight sling, many thousands of us qualified Expert with such a crumby combo.
Take the scopes off your "Creeds" and see if you can do better than that. But, but, but.....Oh, Yep, You don't gots iron sights. LOL.
How many thousand yard records with the "Creed" are smaller than the record with a 30 caliber cartridge? Oh, but, but, but, LOL

OK, I admit, there was a dog that ate my homework and the vet could't save him. whistle

Apparently mediocre is good enough for some when ability is somewhat lacking to achieve greatness.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

The new Hornady 147 ELD has a BC of .697 and probably has 150+ fps on the Woodleigh. Its science, not opinion.

Are you daft? I'm not shooting an elk with a Scenar or Hornady match bullet. Even the ELD-X line has marginal terminal performance. And why would I want to move down to a 140 when the 160 has plenty of reach?

Yeah, who in their right mind would ever shoot an elk with a Scenar??

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The 260 and the 6.5 Creedmoor have the same capacity.

That 700TI stainless take-off barrel you sold me some years back, I put on a 725. Screwed right in with perfect headspace - exactly upside down. I don't need to see the barrel stamping anyway. With a good rest, it will shoot 3 (and probably 5 - not something I worry about) 140 gr. factory Corelokts into about 2 1/2 inches at 300 yards.

I've killed caribou to about 400 yards with it. And an elk at @ 150. It is sufficient to my needs to 500 yards - my limit. Nice carry rifle too.

Except it doesn't seem to like ANYTHING but 140's. I need to experiment with handloads a bit when I get back out of the Bush, and have some time. I'd sure like to try a 129, and some monos. Barnes TSX factory 120's gave me horrible groups!

I can live with what I've got..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My Vanguard likes the Barnes 120's. Hammers deer and pigs. I'm eager to try it in a 200 lb plus Aoudads.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by Deflagrate

Apparently mediocre is good enough for some when ability is somewhat lacking to achieve greatness.

Equipment doesn't make a shooter good though it will help you average daydreamers to shoot with unhindered mediocrity.. At least on computers. LOL
Those who can have. Those who can't seek crutches, Dude. laugh
Address my last question instead of attacking in obfuscation and avoidance.

Last edited by Deflagrate; 06/04/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You're going to run into COAL issues with longer VLD bullets in a Remington short action if the case length is greater than 47mm. The 260, 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM, and 6.5 WSM all have cases longer than 47mm.

The 270 WSM, 7mm SAUM, and 7mm WSM all approximate 270 WIN/280 REM performance in a short action and while the longer 6.5mm VLD bullets have superior BC numbers, they may be too long to fit into the SA magazine.

Just as an FYI, and I know you are generally aware of this Jeff but just to clarify... that can be addressed a few different ways. First, proper spec of the throating cut on the reamer... by way of example, my 6.5 SAUM on a Rem SA kisses the lands with a 140 ELD @ 2.820 COAL, because that's how Gardner at GAP spec's the PTG reamer I used. Second, it's really easy to modify a Rem SA action for a Wyatt's extended box... on my 7 WSM that's built on a Rem SA, I get 2.925" COAL. A guy could literally modify the action cleanly with a file, though I used a mill. Third, if you use a DBM/AICS mag setup you can get over 3" of COAL.

Remington short actions are wonderful things (I know we agree about that smile ) capable of superb accuracy and with the short mags, they don't give up much that matters to a LA chambering... if a guy addresses the COAL issue through a combo of the above 3 methods it's smooth sailing...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Just as an FYI, and I know you are generally aware of this Jeff but just to clarify... that can be addressed a few different ways. First, proper spec of the throating cut on the reamer... by way of example, my 6.5 SAUM on a Rem SA kisses the lands with a 140 ELD @ 2.820 COAL, because that's how Gardner at GAP spec's the PTG reamer I used. Second, it's really easy to modify a Rem SA action for a Wyatt's extended box... on my 7 WSM that's built on a Rem SA, I get 2.925" COAL. A guy could literally modify the action cleanly with a file, though I used a mill. Third, if you use a DBM/AICS mag setup you can get over 3" of COAL.

Remington short actions are wonderful things (I know we agree about that smile ) capable of superb accuracy and with the short mags, they don't give up much that matters to a LA chambering... if a guy addresses the COAL issue through a combo of the above 3 methods it's smooth sailing...

What you say is true, but how many Remington 700s have Wyatt magazine boxes or a DBM/AICS magazine setup installed? I didn't get the impression that Slope77 was looking for a complicated answer to the question "I just think 270ish performance in short action would be kind of neat.".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are absolutely correct that as-issued factory short mags have COAL issues. I just wanted to clarify that they are solvable. A Wyatt's is < $75 and a guy could install it himself... and get slick-as-snot feeding as a big bonus.

It's really too bad Big Green has their head so far up a dark smelly place. A great platform... but hell if THEY seem to realize that! crazy

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Marketing 101, if there isn't sufficient consumer demand for the product that you make, you are likely to lose money making it.

Remington started making short action bolt action rifles in 1948, along 70 years, and if there had been sufficient consumer demand for a longer magazine box, it is reasonably likely that no matter how tone deaf Remington seems to be, they would have redesigned the short action family that started with the 722 to meet that demand.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The restriction is literally just that screw-hole-nub for the rear screw that retains the triggerguard in an ADL (blind mag) setup... completely remove that, and make a slight mod to the bolt stop and you'd be over 3" ... it would be SO EASY for them to offer an "extended mag" short action. Couple that with reamers that cut the throat shorter, and viola. All the COAL a guy could want.

I think they are reeling from the Walker trigger (which I like and use) fiasco and subsequent multiple recalls. In addition to being, as you say, tone deaf.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.