Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
An ultrasound of the foot can be very enlightening. My ultrasound showed the fascia full of micro-tears. No wonder it was a hurtin SOB!

I use meloxicam (Mobic) when or as my stomach will allow. And Cabela's Meindel perfect hikers for those 10 to 12 hr days on the concrete factory floor. Like others have said,intense pain drove me to the foot clinic, then one day I realized the feet did not bother me nearly so bad anymore.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm wearing the Wolverine boots one fella reco'ed in another thread. Hopin they help, but I been taggin all the other suggestions as well. If I'm not better in a couple of weeks due to these boots and stretch exercise I'm gonna yank out the cc again.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just had a 6 month bout of PF in my right foot. I used frozen water bottles several times a day. This helped a bit for pain relief but was not a cure. Got rid of all my old shoes (which I thought were comfortable) and went new with soft soles and cushion inserts. This helped. Then I started a stretching routine for the foot that works the arch and incorporates toe movement. At first this was quite an interesting routine to try and get any length of time. Now it is second nature and I do anytime I am sitting This made a major difference.

Hugh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I've had it a few times and I try to react as soon as possible when it happens. I've found stretching the foot to be very helpful. Several times a day, stand on a step and let your heel sag down. Hold it for 20 seconds or so relax do it again.

Yep, endured it bigtime few years ago, and finally licked it with the boot to bed every night.
I had a flare up recently and had the wife put intense pressure on it, unbearable, but it took care of it.

I've been wearing orthotic insoles and quality running shoes the last week and it has continued to alleviate the problem. PF is awful, prevention is the key.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had it bad about 20-25 years ago. Tried everything.....insoles, medicine, cortisone shots, therapy....nothing worked. The doctor said surgery might fix it, so I had a little surgery that went in on both sides of the foot, cut the tendon so it could stretch more after it healed. Pretty much fixed my right foot. Was going to have the other one done, but decided to wait a little while. Tried a new doctor and he went the cortisone shot route. For whatever the reason, foot got better and quit hurting. One thing I did, that I believed helped, was to quit wearing cowboy boots. I had worn them for many years, and was told that they can affect the feet if you're on them a lot. I have gone back to wearing them for the past 5 years, and so far, my feet aren't bothering me. But, I've got so many other aches and pains, that I probably wouldn't notice them if they were.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have been battling PF for almost 2 years now. Mine is due to a heel spur and wearing a worn out pair of shoes while walking. Got the cortisone shot and that helped quite a bit. It did not hurt at all. Dr. prescribed mobic but it ran my blood pressure up so I don't take it. I wear New Balance shoes with a model # of 800 or higher and use Superfeet insoles for my work boots. I do stretches in the morning before I walk and throughout the day. I may try the Strassburg sock and see how that works as I do have the pain when I get out of bed.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I may try the Strassburg sock and see how that works as I do have the pain when I get out of bed.

Yes, try it as I mentioned in an earlier post.

BountyHunter posted a recommendation and link also. And as he also mentioned, give it a couple of weeks. If it works............keep it for when it happens to the other foot!

Good luck,
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After losing 40 pounds and working 12 hours on hard floors, on a job I do once a year I can't begin to tell you how much your weight effects your feet. When I would get done after a day there I could barely walk when I got home. Your feet problems are only legitimate if your not very overweight. This is wearing the exact same shoes as I wore last year

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've had off and on flare ups for years. Better shoes help, but the key is prevention. When I feel an episode coming on I load up on Naproxen Sodium taking double doses for a few days along with ice packs to reduce the inflammation. It really does help. The real problem is the tendon is not being stretched enough. There are stretching routines that will eventually knock it out really keep it from coming back. I haven't had a bad episode in a while because I've learned to see it coming and knock it out before it gets bad. And it can be really bad. I broke down and went to a DR once and got the injections. It did make a huge difference and quickly.

Walking around the house barefoot helps too. Learn how to place your foot on the heel and roll the foot as you walk pushing off with your toes as you take the next step. That helps stretch the tendon.

On the meds. Be careful. Long term use of these meds can cause liver damage. After knee surgery my doc advised that the double dose of meds for a shorter term was better. He could have written me a prescription for a larger dose,but doubling up on what I could buy over the counter is the same thing. It knocks the inflammation down quicker then stop taking them. It is the guys who take the recommended dosage every day for years at a time that get into trouble.

Actually, NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti inflam drugs) such as Naproxin affect the kidneys, Tylenol (Acetaminophen) affects the liver.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had a problem with PF in left foot twice over the last 10 years. I tried cold packs then heat pack, relieved the pain for a while but never really treated the problem. A brace was recommended by a doctor friend. So I bought the brace, it is a hard semi-boot type that I wore while sleeping. The brace is not made to walk around in. Both times when the PF flared up I wore the brace every night for 2 to 3 weeks. Everyday the pain would decrease until it was gone. I have not had the PF return for over 3 years now. If my heel gets tender I will wear the brace for a night or two. The purpose of the brace is to stretch the tendons in the arch of the foot where the inflammation starts.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Anyone here dealing with Plantar fasciitis?

About two months ago I started having pain in my left foot and thought what the heck when I would get out of bed I could hardly walk. So does this get better or what? Some days its not bad but others it's painful as hell and hurts no matter if I'm standing or sitting.

Bummer. I've had it in my left foot since last September. It wrecked a planned premium backpack hunt. It's much better now but still not fully healed.

I'd suggest AGGRESIVE stretching- try pulling back on your toes with your leg up in front of you, sitting, knee bent so that you are just stretching the arch- and really go for it. Pull or twist to the side as necessary to streeeetch the spot that hurts. It won't be fun at first. Also, this is very likely something that sorta built up over time; I bet there's a knot of hard tissue in the arch of your foot back towards the heel. Try rolling it HARD on a tennis ball to break up that knot. It'll take awhile. Months. It'll likely feel so good to roll it that you end up with some ancillary bruising because you pushed so hard... Do it anyway. The knot in my foot was rock-hard and literally made cracking noises I could hear I my head when I hit it just right with the tennis ball; I would see stars when I got it just right, it was such an intense release.

And... spend $50 on some Green Superfeet insoles.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also- try on some Salomon boots like the Quest or the low X-Ultra 2's. Tons of arch support; feel like they were made to address PF. Love them.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My gym has one of these and it helps me. I usually just use the curb.
[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Physical therapy can be helpful with stretches and exercises.

In most states, direct access without a doctor's referral.

You can get an eval., may need a physician's consultation after the fact.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A major railroad, evaluating P.T./Rehab services for their injured employees, looks for a free standing, P.T./Rehab owned facility, considering those type facilities being cream of the crop. I agree with that approach.

I would suggest using those criteria to locate the best facility.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing you can try out is a BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy) device. On the surface, it looks like a neoprene heat wrap by it stimulates targeted blood flow with electrical currents. You put the wrap on and let it do it's thing for about 20 minutes. The idea being that the increased blood flow will bring nutrients into the tissue and accelerate healing. I used one made for my Achilles tendon and it seemed to help.

http://shop.kingbrand.com/product_i...ent&currency=USD&products_id=206

[Linked Image]

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Try superfeet insoles. Blue or green. They work for me when 500.00 orthotics didn't. The super feet in my Asics also minimize shin splints when I run.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
get better boots or shoes, i had it bad and thats ended taking care of it.

This ^^^^^^^^^

+1

I was buying cheap sneakers that I wore everyday, when I first got out of bed or after driving for several hours was very painful.

Found a good doctor that set me up with custom insoles and better shoes no more problems!

Ted
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Schools been out for over a week now and the pain seems to be lessening but my heel is still tender. No more limping when I get up in the morning or night so hopefully it's getting better.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Work that tender spot over by rolling a foot massage ball under your foot several times a day and especially when you first wake up. Seriously work it and get tenderness out of the heel. Oh, it will hurt like hell for a few days when you do this, but it helps the soreness go away. I used a Rubz ball and it helps get right on the sore spot.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,038
Posts18,481,979
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.