Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Understand that the ONLY thing +P and +P+ gets you is better barrier penetration; really nothing else. It doesn't make a larger wound,

We'll have to disagree about that then. The wound stuff is bunk unless you're only talking about FMJ, in my experience. Pushing the same expanding bullet faster does do more damage. Higher velocity also gets you flatter trajectory and longer effective range, something the typical "gunfights are at 7 yards" crowd may have trouble wrapping their heads around.
In soft tissue higher velocity in a JHP will get you less penetration. So when it's all measured out, the actual volume of tissue destroyed is right about the same. Slightly larger (and I'm talking SLIGHTLY) bullet expansion but less penetration. Standard pressure will expand a couple thou less in diameter but penetrate a little deeper in soft tissue. So it really doesn't make any meaningful difference IN SOFT TISSUE. The only meaningful difference is in barrier penetration.

No, that is wrong, especially in soft tissue. You're correct about the reduced penetration (sometimes) from more expansion, but the rest is completely false. You seem to have bought in to the myth that handgun bullets only damage what they actually touch, but that's bunk and easily proven wrong if you go shoot some animals with them. By your "logic" for example, a 90gr .380 and a 90gr +P+ 9mm should do the same damage, but that's absurd.

If you say so man

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Understand that the ONLY thing +P and +P+ gets you is better barrier penetration; really nothing else. It doesn't make a larger wound,

We'll have to disagree about that then. The wound stuff is bunk unless you're only talking about FMJ, in my experience. Pushing the same expanding bullet faster does do more damage. Higher velocity also gets you flatter trajectory and longer effective range, something the typical "gunfights are at 7 yards" crowd may have trouble wrapping their heads around.
In soft tissue higher velocity in a JHP will get you less penetration. So when it's all measured out, the actual volume of tissue destroyed is right about the same. Slightly larger (and I'm talking SLIGHTLY) bullet expansion but less penetration. Standard pressure will expand a couple thou less in diameter but penetrate a little deeper in soft tissue. So it really doesn't make any meaningful difference IN SOFT TISSUE. The only meaningful difference is in barrier penetration.

No, that is wrong, especially in soft tissue. You're correct about the reduced penetration (sometimes) from more expansion, but the rest is completely false. You seem to have bought in to the myth that handgun bullets only damage what they actually touch, but that's bunk and easily proven wrong if you go shoot some animals with them. By your "logic" for example, a 90gr .380 and a 90gr +P+ 9mm should do the same damage, but that's absurd.

A JHP doe not always penetrate less when speeded up. I've seen more penetration with more velocity many times it just depends on the individual bullet being used. For instance the 185 grain grain XTP in the 45 Super out penetrates the same bullet when fired from a standard 45 ACP or + P version.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the plastic guns will handle +P+ 9mm. The 115 grain federal LE ammunition has been fired with ease through most of my Glocks. I sold my high power years ago, did not want to carry it cocked and locked without a grip safety.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

based on everything I have seen and read, gungeek is right about this. Most pistol wounds are indistinguishable in the operating room or morgue. Again stuff like this is like a religious belief and you will never believe it yet its why the 9mm has surpassed the 40 caliber sw and why the FBI is said to have adopted the 9mm. Naturally there are logical end points to this so I view it more as a bell curve regards pistols and their bullets. Funny thing my friend and I were shooting 230 grain hard ball from his shield the other day and the sun was just so at 20 yards we could watch the bullet in flight.

Keep in mind there are actual tests that prove a 55 FMJ and 3100 FPS at 20 feet is quite different than a 9mm 124 super expanding wonder bullet at 1000 or even 1200. Yet more results from the operating room that indicate pistol wounding is quite similar.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Even skipping a rock on water has some hydrostatic forces. Between 1890 and 1905 a lot of information and communication was studied. The U.S. Calvary insisted on a .45 caliber. For good reason. It is all about stopping a threat. But here we are talking about the 9mm and making the best of it. It does kill.

Even the Brits reported having trouble stopping drugged up perps with their .303 Rifles. Then the Dum-Dum bullet was designed.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
stopping power/power factor/momentum vs. wound channel have been an on going debate forever. Really gets going when major and minor are considered in handguns

interesting thing is 55 gr. military barely if even makes major power factor.

Both assume that hits are being made, which is enough to throw the entire discussion out the window. i.e.. the cases that get studied don't include total number of rounds fired vs. er damage. (sample group is biased)

Too old and tired to get into lack of hand gun shooting skills in average shooter.

as a side note and back to discussion topic : if you are interested in shooting hot stuff, either factory or reloads (seated out perhaps) check into a throating reamer from brownells. This will give you freebore and keep the pressures down.
poly rifling doesn't get helped but these guns usually show blown cases "early" anyway.

Last edited by Etoh; 06/04/17.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
nothing is 100%, but its fairly well proven now that common handgun calibers shooting good bullets are more similar in performance than they are different. The diminutive 55 grain FMJ at 3100 fps at close range is pretty consistent in its results as well, a 55 grain soft point at the same speed would be a very bad deal for the receiver.

Can anyone point to and share any study where a statistically large sampling of civilian shootings in which the violent criminal continued to be threat after he had been shot 1-3 times with any caliber used in defense of life and limb? I would be interested in reading it.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I never heard of such study. Or have not seen one.

I did read a study from ER doctors. Said that perps on certain drugs just won't go into shock as easy. Harder to put down. That was a while back. I did a quick search, but did not fine it. CNS damage or eventual loss of blood is all you have with handguns.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Anyone that claims that increased speed does not increase wound channel is simple wrong. A 38 special doe not do the same damage that a 357 mag does shooting the same bullet. The 357 mag also out penetrates the 38 special shooting the same JHP bullets. Some of the crap I read on here tells who doesn't shoot much game.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone who can show me a statistically valid study that there is a statistically measurable difference in outcomes when a 380 or 9mm or 40 SW or 45aCP is used in self defense then I am willing to learn and change .

IC B3

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
?? Marshal has pretty much been discredited.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Anyone that claims that increased speed does not increase wound channel is simple wrong. A 38 special doe not do the same damage that a 357 mag does shooting the same bullet. The 357 mag also out penetrates the 38 special shooting the same JHP bullets. Some of the crap I read on here tells who doesn't shoot much game.
I'm so tired of this argument, we've done this to death.
Yes increased velocity CAN increase wound channels. And your comment about some bullets traveling deeper...for the purpose of this discussion, when I make a comment like I did about penetrating less, you have to understand that such comments are made in the light of "All else being equal"...because without the "all else being equal" qualifier, all we would do is talk about every exception to every rule we can find. So while your comment is very relevant, it would be more relevant in a different discussion about very specific bullets in specific cartridges through specific mediums.

But more to your comment, while trying to bring it back to the "all else being equal" for the sake of argument. You're absolutely right that bullet velocity can increase wound cavity. But from 9mm standard pressure to +P ADVERTISED velocities increase about 100fps, while in the real world they're closer to about 70fps. So to think that 70fps in soft tissue is a make or break difference is a bit naive. Like I said, 124's at standard pressure are right on the teetering edge of passing the FBI's tests for barrier penetration, that extra 70fps in hard mediums has put it over the edge. The124's were about 50/50 passing/failing the windshield test, and that little extra velocity made it 100%, but the wound cavity in tissue stimulants have been mostly the same as standard pressure.

The analogy of 38 Special vs. .357 rather confuses the issue. We're talking about 9mm vs. 9mm +P, and the difference is at best 100fps. The difference between .38 Special and .357 Magnum is 300fps or more; so there's a 3 fold difference. So when I say the tissue destruction is basically the same, such a statement isn't absolute and doesn't extend to something like the .38 Special vs. .357; it's specific to 9mm vs. +P.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

]In soft tissue higher velocity in a JHP will get you less penetration. So when it's all measured out, the actual volume of tissue destroyed is right about the same. Slightly larger (and I'm talking SLIGHTLY) bullet expansion but less penetration. Standard pressure will expand a couple thou less in diameter but penetrate a little deeper in soft tissue. So it really doesn't make any meaningful difference IN SOFT TISSUE. The only meaningful difference is in barrier penetration.

Originally Posted by jwp475

I'm so tired of this argument, we've done this to death.
Yes increased velocity CAN increase wound channels. And your comment about some bullets traveling deeper...for the purpose of this discussion, when I make a comment like I did about penetrating less, you have to understand that such comments are made in the light of "All else being equal"...because without the "all else being equal" qualifier, all we would do is talk about every exception to every rule we can find. So while your comment is very relevant, it would be more relevant in a different discussion about very specific bullets in specific cartridges through specific mediums.

But more to your comment, while trying to bring it back to the "all else being equal" for the sake of argument. You're absolutely right that bullet velocity can increase wound cavity. But from 9mm standard pressure to +P ADVERTISED velocities increase about 100fps, while in the real world they're closer to about 70fps. So to think that 70fps in soft tissue is a make or break difference is a bit naive. Like I said, 124's at standard pressure are right on the teetering edge of passing the FBI's tests for barrier penetration, that extra 70fps in hard mediums has put it over the edge. The124's were about 50/50 passing/failing the windshield test, and that little extra velocity made it 100%, but the wound cavity in tissue stimulants have been mostly the same as standard pressure.

The analogy of 38 Special vs. .357 rather confuses the issue. We're talking about 9mm vs. 9mm +P, and the difference is at best 100fps. The difference between .38 Special and .357 Magnum is 300fps or more; so there's a 3 fold difference. So when I say the tissue destruction is basically the same, such a statement isn't absolute and doesn't extend to something like the .38 Special vs. .357; it's specific to 9mm vs. +P.

You need to shoot more and stop repeating the same old BS. All ain't one is faster than the other and will most of the top bullets on the market faster penetrates better.
The 38 vs the 357 is relevant same bullet vs same bullet one just faster than the other and it is a relationship that most understand. The rules of terminal ballistics are not different for the 9mm.

You also claim the the 9mm penetrates hard barriers tan 45 ACP and that is also easy to dispel by actually shooting hard barriers as I have done.

Your just repeating the BS that you've read, go out and shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, if I said the sky was blue, you'd say it's green

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If anyone can show me there are statistically valid differences in the outcomes of CIVILIAN self defense shootings based on caliber then I will pay attention. Right now I have heard so many hunters say DRT and you can't kill nothin with a 22 and 45 ACP all the way, that have nothing more than one anticdotal story or somewhere where they shot a water bottle or Uncle Lou swears by it and he is a security guard at the bank. On the other hand if your hunting cape buffaloes with a 44 Magnum with a 300 grain bullet or a 500 smith and Wesson with a 500 grain bullet shooting deeper is better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you shoot, learn to HIT vitals, choose the best bullets in that round, and make sure you have a reliable gun.

Oh, and don't get hit by the bad guy.... smile

JWP, I put a few 240 SWC thru very wide thick Willow trees along the banks of a local river, years ago with a 4" M29, and no doubt, the heavy bullets drill deep. Wouldn't recommend standing on the exit side. Sure it would easily cut thru a car door, windshield, etc.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jimmyp

based on everything I have seen and read, gungeek is right about this. Most pistol wounds are indistinguishable in the operating room or morgue. Again stuff like this is like a religious belief and you will never believe it yet its why the 9mm has surpassed the 40 caliber sw and why the FBI is said to have adopted the 9mm. Naturally there are logical end points to this so I view it more as a bell curve regards pistols and their bullets. Funny thing my friend and I were shooting 230 grain hard ball from his shield the other day and the sun was just so at 20 yards we could watch the bullet in flight.

Keep in mind there are actual tests that prove a 55 FMJ and 3100 FPS at 20 feet is quite different than a 9mm 124 super expanding wonder bullet at 1000 or even 1200. Yet more results from the operating room that indicate pistol wounding is quite similar.

Sorry Jimmy, I'm gonna go with my own experience of what I've seen in testing and in live animals instead of what some guy has read and seen on the internet. Too many people just repeat the same garbage they were told, because it looks or sounds good, without knowing if it's true or not. I don't need your statistical study of civilian shootings (which would be meaningless at best) to show me what bullets do in meat, and whether pushing them faster causes more damage.

When you see golf ball sized holes through deer's heart/lungs from expanding handgun bullets, it's pretty easy to recognize that the guys claiming stuff like what GunGeek said simply don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/05/17.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
John, if I said the sky was blue, you'd say it's green

Nope, I,be shot enough to know what I'm talking about.
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Sorry Jimmy, I'm gonna go with my own experience of what I've seen in testing and in live animals instead of what some guy has read and seen on the internet. Too many people just repeat the same garbage they were told, because it looks or sounds good, without knowing if it's true or not. I don't need your statistical study of civilian shootings (which would be meaningless at best) to show me what bullets do in meat, and whether pushing them faster causes more damage.

When you see golf ball sized holes through deer's heart/lungs from expanding handgun bullets, it's pretty easy to recognize that the guys claiming stuff like what GunGeek said simply don't know what they're talking about.

Amazing what one learns by actually doing.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Can you shoot that Double Plus stuff in a Glock, not that I would. I would just go 357 sig or 40 cal

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 9 invisible), 14,429 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.