Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good to know but I'll never hunt with a PH. I thought everyone understood that hunting dangerous game is different than most hunting. In fact, when people discuss things like all-around rifles for North America, lots of times you'll see them qualify their choices along the lines of "except for big bears."

Seems like common sense but I guess it's not as common as it used to be.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carried hot on three trips to Africa. I also carry hot over here. Any time I am out of the vehicle in a hunting situation I have a round in the chamber. Always have, always will.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I keep track of firearms-related hunting incidents here in CO. We've had three fatalities with a common thread in the last few years. Carrying a long gun with a round in the chamber when there was no need to.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
OPen bolt? Or safey "on". How about don't do it. Binoculars give "binocular" vision and work better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by shaman
I have begun hunting again with a hot chamber when I'm stationary. When I am out walking, I still carry cold.

IMO a good rule of thumb is, in any situation where you might lose muzzle control (like walking out) the chamber is empty.

Remember shamaa, you brought it up first......

Recommendation: If you ever find yourself hunting dangerous game, please let someone at least hold your wallet and a next of kin notification

I don't hunt dangerous game, and no one brought up dangerous game. Do PH's allow their hunters to carry hot when they're walking through the brush and haven't spotted game yet?

Well, I do as well as many others here. Had you qualified your statement I still wouldn't agree, but anyway. And yes OF COURSE PHs allow it, in fact many insist on it.

If I was hunting Africa I could not imagine hunting cold eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Here we go...

You definitely called this one.

When I was being instructed in firearm/hunting safety 40'ish years ago, simply asking the question "can I use my scope to look for stuff" would have earned me a cuff or 2 upside the gourd. Actually doing it and getting caught would have earned a proper ass-whopping most likely spending one season on the bench.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How would you feel walking through the woods with somone using a rifle for spotting game...buy a quality set of binoculars...your success rate will go up.....you can see more game with advrage quality binoculars than the best scopes...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use binoculars for spotting and a rifle scope to make a final decision. Mostly a matter at a few seconds unless the animal forces me to be patient. Carrying a rifle climbing in the mountains or in the dark my chamber is empty. Once I'm in position to hunt I have a round in the chamber - I prefer to hunt big game alone but practice safe muzzle control all the time.

About 40 years ago hunting pheasant tired after working and driving all night I tripped a little with my finger on the trigger and shot a hole in the ground. A few years ago a new trigger was adjusted too lightly and fired downrange as soon as the bolt closed. I know guns can discharge accidentally- always make sure they can do that without hurting anyone. If you can't do that 100% of the time don't carry hot. Looking at or for things with a rifle scope mounted on a rifle is just plain stupid.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have begun hunting again with a hot chamber when I'm stationary. When I am out walking, I still carry cold.

IMO a good rule of thumb is, in any situation where you might lose muzzle control (like walking out) the chamber is empty.

Recommendation: If you ever find yourself hunting dangerous game, please let someone at least hold your wallet and a next of kin notification

I try to stay at least two counties away from anything that might eat me, but I agree: If it's lions, tigers, or bears in play, I vote hot chamber.

The thing of it is, I'm a walking landform. My hunting boots are from the Herman Munster Signature Series. The idea of me pussyfooting about the forest is ludicrous. The deer line up and hide behind trees and laugh at me. Turkeys bust over on the next ridge, when I walk out the front door. On the other hand, with my low-functioning thyroid, I can go somewhere and play like I'm mulch and do a fairly convincing act. Walking around with a hot chamber for me is just wishful thinking.

BTW: You reminded me of one of my favorite peeves when I see movies with Big Game Hunters: The hunter always jacks one in just before they take a shot. WT?

Last edited by shaman; 06/09/17.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
... BTW: You reminded me of one of my favorite peeves when I see movies with Big Game Hunters: The hunter always jacks one in just before they take a shot. WT?

The same is true of Westerns where they always chamber a round in their Winchesters when intimidating someone. In more modern movies, the same display of firm intention is accomplished by racking the slide on a pump shotgun; "Take it or leave it."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I try to stay at least two counties away from anything that might eat me, but I agree: If it's lions, tigers, or bears in play, I vote hot chamber.

The thing of it is, I'm a walking landform. My hunting boots are from the Herman Munster Signature Series. The idea of me pussyfooting about the forest is ludicrous. The deer line up and hide behind trees and laugh at me. Turkeys bust over on the next ridge, when I walk out the front door. On the other hand, with my low-functioning thyroid, I can go somewhere and play like I'm mulch and do a fairly convincing act. Walking around with a hot chamber for me is just wishful thinking.

BTW: You reminded me of one of my favorite peeves when I see movies with Big Game Hunters: The hunter always jacks one in just before they take a shot. WT?

I've killed many a critter just that way, chamber and shoot. If one doesn't require velcro sneakers or only hunts with a guide, it's ain't that difficult.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I taught Hunter Education in Wyoming for many years. The vast majority of incidents we tracked involved the unwanted discharge of a firearm coming from unnecessarily having a "hot chamber" , this especially in or around a vehicle.

If it aint a charging cape buffalo, there is NO reason for a hot chamber when out walking around or in a vehicle. Period.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched Eyeball shoot a mule deer that is #1 in the state of Texas and #5 in the world. We were on tracks and I told him to chamber a round, he didn't argue. He would not have killed that buck hunting cold and I don't know how he normally carries, but I guarantee he would do it again. When you track like that, in ths area, you better have one in the chamber or prepare to be disappointed. I know there will be a few that say that's fine and refuse to hunt that way, to each his own but not me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm confused. If I go hunting with a loaded rifle some of you think I'm an idiot. If I am deer hunting and look at a deer through the scope I'm an idiot that should be kicked in the nutts.
Some of you actually hunt with unloaded guns and think people who don't are idiots, Hilarious
I do agree that scanning the hillside with a loaded rifle should never be done. Binoculars are the appropriate tool.
On the other hand If I carry a 1911 the only way to do it without being an idiot is a round in the chamber cocked and locked with it down my pants pointed at my nutts.
Forums are confusing places. The thing I have learned is no matter which way you do anything there is someone proudly proclaiming you are an idiot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No need to be confused if you apply a little common sense. As in, "do I need a round in the chamber right now?" and "is there a chance I'm going to lose my footing and/or control of the muzzle?" In sandbilly's post, you could definitely say the hunter needed a round in the chamber in that situation.

But like jnyork said, reviewing the incidents is telling. The three recent ones I mentioned above are typical. In one, there was a grandfather, father, and young son duck hunting in a blind. The kid knocked down a duck and went to retrieve it. With a loaded shotgun. No need to have a round chambered in that situation, outside the blind he's not going to have much of a chance at a shot. He got caught up in the brush, his shotgun discharged, and he died.

Second incident, a father/son hiking to their spot in the dark, elk or deer, I forget which. Son is in the lead with his rifle slung, the top sling swivel comes loose, he grabs for the gun and it discharges, killing his father who was walking behind. Before legal shooting hours.

Third incident, two guided elk hunters side-hilling across a shale slide. Shale slides are definitely a place where you have a good chance of loosing your footing and muzzle control. One hunter looses his footing, falls, and his .300 Win Mag. goes off, hits the guide in the head killing him instantly.

Still confused?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
No need to be confused if you apply a little common sense. As in, "do I need a round in the chamber right now?" and "is there a chance I'm going to lose my footing and/or control of the muzzle?" In sandbilly's post, you could definitely say the hunter needed a round in the chamber in that situation.

But like jnyork said, reviewing the incidents is telling. The three recent ones I mentioned above are typical. In one, there was a grandfather, father, and young son duck hunting in a blind. The kid knocked down a duck and went to retrieve it. With a loaded shotgun. No need to have a round chambered in that situation, outside the blind he's not going to have much of a chance at a shot. He got caught up in the brush, his shotgun discharged, and he died.

Second incident, a father/son hiking to their spot in the dark, elk or deer, I forget which. Son is in the lead with his rifle slung, the top sling swivel comes loose, he grabs for the gun and it discharges, killing his father who was walking behind. Before legal shooting hours.

Third incident, two guided elk hunters side-hilling across a shale slide. Shale slides are definitely a place where you have a good chance of loosing your footing and muzzle control. One hunter looses his footing, falls, and his .300 Win Mag. goes off, hits the guide in the head killing him instantly.

Still confused?

Yep,just common sense,but it doesn't seem to be so common anymore. I'm never chambered in the truck,crossing a fence or ditch,with the rifle slung,or before or after hours. I am chambered when I'm sitting still or stalking where I might jump something fast. I never let my kid chamber until sitting with the gun safely laying beside them. They have to unload when we start moving. I've had 40 more years of safe handling experience and I don't want to get shot. When with the kid I'm in front,he is behind unloaded.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I've killed many a critter just that way, chamber and shoot. If one doesn't require velcro sneakers or only hunts with a guide, it's ain't that difficult.

In some situations it works,and in some it won't. Close range deer in thick woods you better be chambered .If you aren't the least noise the deer will bolt and you won't get a shot because he will be out of sight after one leap. It's hard sometimes just to get the rifle to your shoulder without being seen. Think about it like a turkey hunter having to chamber when a gobbler was approaching. He wouldn't kill many turkeys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
... BTW: You reminded me of one of my favorite peeves when I see movies with Big Game Hunters: The hunter always jacks one in just before they take a shot. WT?

The same is true of Westerns where they always chamber a round in their Winchesters when intimidating someone. In more modern movies, the same display of firm intention is accomplished by racking the slide on a pump shotgun; "Take it or leave it."

I've noticed in some movies where they are going for maximum suspense you will see them chamber a round several times before one is ever fired.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been on both extremes of the hot chamber thing. I hunt elk with a BLR levergun.
With a hot chamber I have had an elk bolt simply from the barely audible sound of drawing the hammer back. AND I was in a completely hidden location.
At the other extreme I've drawn down on a nice bull in plain sight, 'CLICK', was still able to actually load the gun and chamber a round and take the bull.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I watched Eyeball shoot a mule deer THAT WAS HAULING ASS THROUGH THICK MESQUITES AFTER WE JUMPED IT FROM ITS BED AFTER TRACKING THAT MONSTER 28 POINT MO FO UP that is #1 in the state of Texas and #5 in the world. We were on tracks and I told him to chamber a round, he didn't argue. HE HIT THAT THING BETWEEN THE LIMBS AND TRUNKS 2 OUTA 3 SHOTS TOO, DIDNT I, I mean he grin (P T LORD)? He would not have killed that buck hunting cold and I don't know how he normally carries, but I guarantee he would do it again. When you track like that, in ths area, you better have one in the chamber or prepare to be disappointed. I know there will be a few that say that's fine and refuse to hunt that way, to each his own but not me.

Fixt wink. You did an unreal job tracking that deer down, Jessie.

I carry hot when going from the truck out after quail, doves, ducks, geese, turkeys, coyotes, hogs, bob cats, deer, elk, bear, cranes, etc .

Never let a gun point at any living thing you dont want dead and it wont get shot. Almost everyone that ever got shot had a gun pointed at them.

Live, eat, dream and sleep muzzle direction and if you trip and fall it wont point at anyone. Ive seen retired army guys who couldnt or wouldnt learn that and I never took them hunting again.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/09/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,235
Posts18,524,857
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.