-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gave up on Cabelas as a serious source of outdoor stuff long ago. Now, it's more of a travel stop when I'm in an area that has one. I still check the online sales from time to time and pick up deals, mostly on clothing, but there's no continuity in their clothing lines anymore; so I can't go back and replace stuff that's worked well for me with the same item.

It's more trouble, but I've had good success by searching out quality American-made products either directly from the manufacturers or through online outlets like Amazon and even Costco (yeah, Bezos is a Lefty slug, but the service is the best in the business, and a lot of stuff is actually sold by others through Amazon).

What fresh Hell is this?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've had zero trouble with a Cabelas store, their credit card, their customer service or their online ordering system. It's all been good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have the Cabelas' credit card, and if it wasn't for the "free" stuff I wouldn't buy from them. Their prices aren't the best, not terrible just not the best, but the thing that I hate is their shipping policy. If you order from them on a Monday and pay the $10 expedited shipping fee you will have your stuff by the weekend. They don't ship overnight or second day, they just put it in a box and ship it that day. If you don't pay the expedited shipping fee, they wait until the next week to ship your order.

There are to many other places with competitive pricing, that will have what I need here in two or three days, for me to fool with Cabelas. Midway, used to be expensive on shipping, but have become my go to lately. They now ship fast and reasonable, and have added a lot more than shooting stuff to their inventory.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We had stopped at LL Beans on the way North to hunt Moose because one Bud had drawn a tag in the North Woods. Two of us were going to Grouse hunt some and then help him if he was successful and he had a week to scout out his unit. Mentioned that to the girl at Beans and she said let me get this other employee. Turns out he loved his Moose hunting and asked us what unit he had drawn. Went and got a topo map and started circling areas, but said this particular one deserves your attention. Bud checked it out and there was Moose sign everywhere. 1hour or so into the hunt he heard a Bull grunt and called this one in. Just another stupid gun counter guy story.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Poor little Kentucky Snowflake!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I bought one of their breathable camo rainsuits for around 220 which was a lot of money for me at the time. I bought it to hunt in and only wore it for that. Wore it first in a driving rain 34 degrees 3 hours. I stayed completely dry and comfortable. I thought I loved it. Next year I wore it and my shoulders and back were a little wet. The 3rd time I wore it was the third year and it was like cotton it had no water resistance properties at all. I sent it back only having worn it 3 times and they would not honor their warranty. I didn't buy anything from them for a long time and still shop them last for the kind of things they sell. They have spent more than the replacement cost of that rainsuit mailing me catalogs. They just go in the trash.

Probably all you needed to do was wash the rain coat... and there basically is nohting such as breathable rain suits... but if you fall for that goretex joke it needs to be kept VERY clean... dirt makes it fail. Thats been common knowledge on "breathable" types for many years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Tzone--I have quite a few Leupold scopes with Lifetime Warranties, if one fails after 20 years are you saying it shouldn't be returned to Leupold to be fixed? I bought the coveralls because they had a Lifetime guarantee. Do you think it's OK to advertise a Lifetime waterproof guarantee and not stand behind it. I fish with guys who return waders to LL Bean and Orvis after 10 years, that's who will get my business.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I can't imagine allowing myself to get spun up about such a petty thing as a messed up order.

Same. Must be cabin fever.

Cabin fever in June?

lol

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sako76
Hey Tzone--I have quite a few Leupold scopes with Lifetime Warranties, if one fails after 20 years are you saying it shouldn't be returned to Leupold to be fixed? I bought the coveralls because they had a Lifetime guarantee. Do you think it's OK to advertise a Lifetime waterproof guarantee and not stand behind it. I fish with guys who return waders to LL Bean and Orvis after 10 years, that's who will get my business.

After 20 years of use? No, I wouldn't return it and expect it fixed at no charge.

Camp is where you make it.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I can't imagine allowing myself to get spun up about such a petty thing as a messed up order.

^ this.

I get irritated with poor customer service but a tizzy isn't worth it; just don't go back.

And don't let it rob you of your serenity. Nothing in the realm of the inner webs is worth that.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Defiantly not the Sam company they once were....Walmart mantality all made in China crap...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So you want them to delay shipping orders? Then you would be bellyaching about how slow they were to deliver. You cannot have it both ways!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
chit happens, and happens with every company that has a web presence. Shrug. It will work out most of the time.

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've bought a fair bit of stuff from Cabela's over the years: clothes, footwear, hunting gear, fishing gear. They have a great range of stuff, some of which isn't available here, and I usually have it on my doorstep, here on the other side of the world, in less than two weeks. I've had no problems with them - even the time I accidentally double ordered was fixed straight away, with no fuss and at no cost to me.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I bought one of their breathable camo rainsuits for around 220 which was a lot of money for me at the time. I bought it to hunt in and only wore it for that. Wore it first in a driving rain 34 degrees 3 hours. I stayed completely dry and comfortable. I thought I loved it. Next year I wore it and my shoulders and back were a little wet. The 3rd time I wore it was the third year and it was like cotton it had no water resistance properties at all. I sent it back only having worn it 3 times and they would not honor their warranty. I didn't buy anything from them for a long time and still shop them last for the kind of things they sell. They have spent more than the replacement cost of that rainsuit mailing me catalogs. They just go in the trash.

Probably all you needed to do was wash the rain coat... and there basically is nohting such as breathable rain suits... but if you fall for that goretex joke it needs to be kept VERY clean... dirt makes it fail. Thats been common knowledge on "breathable" types for many years.

AND use the proper detergent, And retreat the outer layer- that is what repels the water (on occaission, if you get lucky, and it is not a hard or driven rain), not the Gore-Tex fabric itself. It won't pass water molecules, (they say), only vapor, but the membrane is permeable in BOTH directions.

It works fine in the snow....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, i had bought a Cabela's rain parka - g-tex, etc. It was about $100 so i wasn't expecting a whole lot from it - just basically keep the rain off me.

So after a little over a year i noticed the parka just wasn't doing the waterproof thing at all. I had been noticing it was failing for a good while before the year was up, but it was a Cabela's brand and had a "life time" warranty so i wasn't too concerned.

I called them and asked for some help with the parka (ie warranty) and the CS rep said that it was only a year. I told him there were tags on the parka that said "Life Time Warranty". The reply was that the garment had an expected life time of 1 year - thus my parka was beyond it's "life time".

No amount of polite, rational discourse would dissuade the CS rep from his position. He said the best that could be done was a percentage discount off another Cabela's branded item.

I was furious! I know you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, but given the situation i was right to expect longer than 1 year of acceptable service and became pretty irate.

So, I took the discount and bought a Cabela's "Guide Wear" parka. It is an awesome rain parka, but i'll never shop their soft goods ever again.

In fact, BPS has a great rain parka - looks absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately it has their huge, FULL-COLOR brand logo/emblem stitched in a highly visible place.

PHOUCK THAT!!!

If they wanted to sell me a rain parka that would be fine and dandy, but i'm not sporting nor supporting their free advertisement no way - no how.

PHOUCK THAT TOO!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was in Cabela's the other day, bought a pound of powder, later same day walked into a local place, in this small town of 6,000., same powder, five bucks less.
Person with me bought the small green propane bottles at Cabela's for $4.99, I noticed $3.49 here local.
So much for Cabela's if price is any concern. I guess they gotta pay for all that yuppie ambience some how, I just kinda doubt much of it will be my dollars.
Also the gun powder in Cabela's was behind the glass counter, just a display to see, the sales guy had to go into the back to get a pound. That was a first for me, and probably a last time too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

https://www.gore-tex.com/experience/our-promise

http://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

- contamination effects GTX performance
- relative outside air temp and humidity effects GTX peformance.
- incorrect choice of GTX product can give lesser performance and lifespan
than expected.
- like many things, all GTX products do have performance limits and a lifespan.

the seam sealing tape has come off one of my daily pack use 3 layer GTX garments, so IMO its past its official
reasonable use lifespan but I can get it re-taped at GTX authorised repair shop and it will be good to go again.
..the actual fabric and PTFE membrane seem to be holding up fine.

some of the lightweight fabric garments 2.0 or 2.5 layer GTX , with the narrow lighter grade seam taping
(again depending on use and or abuse) I don't expect to last as long as the heavier 3 layer GTX with sturdier
regular seam tape.

with 2.0 or 2.5 layer GTX you need to be more careful what constantly rubs up against the inside surface
of the garments PTFE membrane surface . i.e; coarse belts or what is attached to them , also zipper
hardware on your under layer garments ,especially if you have constant load bearing involved.
even my 3 layer GTX was starting to wear away on RH inside in small areas where my shoulder bag constantly
rubs on my hip against the edge of my tough nylon belt that also happens to run underneath .Micro abrasion
eventually adds up with daily use.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.