Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I want to give a quick plug to Boyd's for their customer service and prompt delivery. I recently pulled my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker from the safe to change the scope and found that the Dura-touch finish on the stock had deteriorated into a stick mess. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on the rifle, I ordered a classic design Boyds and had them do checkering and install a Limbsaver recoil pad. I ordered the stock on June 6th, it was built on June 7th (according to date stamp in the forearm) and on my doorstep on June 10th. The stock looks great. I took it to my gunsmith for a bedding job and he also commented on it's overall appearance and said that the inletting looked good and straight, but would know more when he starts the bedding process. Based on my experience, I may pick up another Boyds to replace a rifle with a composite stock that I've never liked.

Last edited by Biggs300; 06/14/17.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How was the checkering? Was it hand cut? Please post some pictures if you can.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
S99VG, The checkering is laser engraved and to my eye, it looks good. The cuts are relatively deep, has a pleasing design and is positioned well on the stock. The cost was only $55 and I certainly think I got my money's worth. I will try and get a picture posted after I get it back from the gunsmith in the week or so.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I want to give a quick plug to Boyd's for their customer service and prompt delivery. I recently pulled my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker from the safe to change the scope and found that the Dura-touch finish on the stock had deteriorated into a stick mess. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on the rifle, I ordered a classic design Boyds and had them do checkering and install a Limbsaver recoil pad. I ordered the stock on June 6th, it was built on June 7th (according to date stamp in the forearm) and on my doorstep on June 10th. The stock looks great. I took it to my gunsmith for a bedding job and he also commented on it's overall appearance and said that the inletting looked good and straight, but would know more when he starts the bedding process. Based on my experience, I may pick up another Boyds to replace a rifle with a composite stock that I've never liked.

I just wish they would build walnut/walnut laminated stocks.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
A laminated stock in walnut/walnut would be nice. Never thought much about it but, you would have the best of both worlds...strength of a laminate in a stock that looks more like natural wood.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought one for a savage,it was a laminated green/camo type.
Thumbhole and it fit darn good and best of all the guy i got it for loved it.

Me,i am not sold yet on thumbhole stocks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
S99VG, The checkering is laser engraved and to my eye, it looks good. The cuts are relatively deep, has a pleasing design and is positioned well on the stock. The cost was only $55 and I certainly think I got my money's worth. I will try and get a picture posted after I get it back from the gunsmith in the week or so.

Very cool!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a boyds stock recently. It has lazer checkering and it looks good.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What was your LOP?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I'm glad that you received good customer service. My experience was terrible! I'll use Stocky's Stocks if I need that type of stock.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
GeoW, the stock I bought has their standard 13 3/4" LOP but I added a 1" Limbsaver recoil pad which gave me another 1/2" compared to their standard 1/2" pad.
Attached are a couple of pictures of the stock and checkering.

Attached Images
IMG_0310.JPG (27.42 KB, 240 downloads)
Boyd's Stock
IMG_0308.JPG (35.96 KB, 158 downloads)
Checkering
IMG_0309.JPG (37.11 KB, 132 downloads)
Last edited by Biggs300; 06/21/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks fine to me. The reason I asked about the LOP is that they claim their standard is 13 3/4". To have any other length is an extra $29.00.
Kinda chickenshit how they do that, knowing most prefer the 13 1/2" LOP.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The LOP on my old Browning X-Bolt factory stock was 13 5/8". I do have longer arms, but the new Boyd's stock doesn't feel much different from the factory stock to me, even with the 1" recoil pad. One thing I didn't mention, my gunsmith said that he didn't have to make any changes to the inletting on the new stock, other than what is necessary for a normal bedding job. He floated the barrel and indicated the action was a perfect fit. He also was able to adjust the trigger and I couldn't be more satisfied with his work. Best $80 I have ever spent with a gunsmith.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love when a plan comes together! 😀

Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Another reserved PLUG. Only thing holding me back is I have yet to see the stock. Ordered an AT-ONE adjustable stock with the extra palm swell & target forearm last Friday for a new CZ 527. Today I get an E-mail she has shipped. Should be able to give her a go by this weekend. Will keep you posted.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Another reserved PLUG. Only thing holding me back is I have yet to see the stock. Ordered an AT-ONE adjustable stock with the extra palm swell & target forearm last Friday for a new CZ 527. Today I get an E-mail she has shipped. Should be able to give her a go by this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Standing by, less than patiently grin, to hear your thoughts on the AT-ONE stock, as well as the fit/feel of the extra grip. Pics also help grin

I have it in the back of my mind to drop a RAR-Predator in an AT-ONE and have contemplated getting the vertical grip and target forend as well.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wi Fowler:

May be a while before I get out and work much with this rifle and the stock. Between other obligations and struggling to find a wind free day on the south Dakota prarie I may take as long as 2 weeks before I get out with her. Have to see if I can recall how to post photos.

You may rest assured I wish to get out as early as practical.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just a quick update, I installed and bore-sighted my scope (an SWFA SS 10x42) on the Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag with the new Boyds classic stock installed by Steve Baldwin a gunsmith in Jones, OK. He did an incredible job bedding the action and fully floating the barrel. While Steve Baldwin is well know for his custom Baldwin Soul sights for Sharps and other rifles from the period, he is a great gunsmith as well. I am so pleased with his work!

Hunterapp, I had hoped to use my "new" rifle on a SD Rosebud Sioux reservation deer hunt this year but, sadly, my hunting buddy and I just found out earlier this week that were not successful. We have hunted this area (Big White and Little White river area near Murdo, SD) five times now and we have grown to really like the reservation hunts in this area. We have a great Sioux guide who has become a friend over the years and may still try for a SD elk cow hunt (left-over, tags). If not successful, looks like it will be another 2nd or 3rd season elk hunt in CO. We have also hunted CO for several years but, love hunting the Rosebud Sioux reservation area of SD.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hunterapp

I am hoping that they perform as well as they said they would at SHOT.

I just ordered an AT-ONE stock for a Savage Model 10 with a factory barrel. No target forearm or palm swell though. I want to replace the factory plastic.

I hope yours works great.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Managed to get out a little with the new CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel. So far so good. I like the ability to adjust The comb up and down with relatively little effort. Having The comb adjusted up roughly a half inch works well for me with this CZ 527 and the higher scope mounts. On the other hand when a guy goes to clean a bore it was nice to have a comb adjusted all the way back down.

My 6' 2" stature likes the length of pull near max in my summer T shirt. I am sure I will like this 1/2" to 7/8" of an inch shorter in the late fall to winter months.

I am likeing the wide target forearm thus far and I'm not really sure if I like either palm swell option. Also picked up their cheap plastic picatinny rail and feel this is just that. Not only inexpensive but a cheap rail. Don't think I can recommend that for anyone.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 07/05/17.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,351
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.