Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
During Reconstruction Yankee Barons came to Mississippi and bought up 50 million acres of timber for fifty cents per acre....loaded up all the lumber therefrom on flatcars and took it north which they at that time used to construct their factories!

yes, a lot of the southland was cut-over and the proceeds shipped north to build the great northern cities.

it was a desperate time for locals after the civil war. the winner took all, and the countryside was plundered. we didn't treat iraq like that after we deposed the dictator over there.

no wonder the kkk or it's various arms or clones sprang up in rural areas to help restore order, maintain civility and help the local citizenry re-gain a start on life after the devastating defeat.

and here we are in 2017 and the South has Risen Again.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stories are told that many of my early immigrant Irish ancestors on my Maternal Grandmothers side were soldiers in the War on both sides and several appearently part of the Fenian brotherhood. Only stories though as no one has any physical documentation.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton
While I do think that the slaves should have been free, the way it was done has caused a lot of the current mess that we are in. They were given freedom, that a lot of them had never had, and did not know how to use it. It should have been incremented in some way to give them time to adjust. miles

Slavery should have been allowed to die out naturally like it did everywhere else but it was never really about slavery to begin with. The feds created that myth to justify what they had done after the fact.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
You continue to prove the reservation would have been the place for you.

and you prove once again that you are just another yankee azzwhole. laughing.

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm a direct descendant of 6 Confederate soldiers. Three of them served under Reaford's granddad. One killed in Saltville, Va, one wounded in Petersburg, one captured at Missionary Ridge, TN. Three went all the way the through the war.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Laughing you say?????

Originally Posted by Mannlicher

that chit is right out of dumphugistan. Geez

You pick "dumphugistan" up from some 10YO? Surely an adult can do better. In your case perhaps not.

Watch out there may be a Yankee outside the door. Best go and check...

Look, look there is another!!!!

Last edited by battue; 06/18/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
While I do think that the slaves should have been free, the way it was done has caused a lot of the current mess that we are in. They were given freedom, that a lot of them had never had, and did not know how to use it. It should have been incremented in some way to give them time to adjust. miles

Slavery should have been allowed to die out naturally like it did everywhere else but it was never really about slavery to begin with. The feds created that myth to justify what they had done after the fact.

I have never been a fan of old Abe Lincoln because of how he would not let the South leave the Union. But, had Lincoln not been shot, it is possible that two things might have happened........the slaves could have been sent back to Africa, and Reconstruction might not have been so harsh on the South.

Lincoln did not believe Negroes to be the equivalent of Whites, and thought they had no place in the US. He mentioned several times that it might be best to send the freed slaves back where they came from. He also would more than likely took a different approach to the proceedings that went on after the war ended. The Republicans in the House and Senate were the ones who wanted to punish the South, and it's possible that with Lincoln still in charge, it may have been different.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The terms did allow them to take their horses and mules and they were supplied with food.

My Great Grandpa Patton lived in Bradley County Arkansas when Arkansas entered the war. I don't know any more than that, and Bradley County was about three times the size that it currently is. When the 2nd Arkansas Infantry was formed in Helena, Arkansas, he enlisted a few days later, and was in for the duration of the war, mustering out in North Carolina. He walked back to Bradley County, to find that His family had moved back to Mississippi. He then walked back to Miss. to find them. How He came to be in Prairie County, Arkansas later, is not known, but there is a large presence of former rebel soldiers here, from all over. He bought the land that I currently live on in 1889. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Laughing you say?????

Originally Posted by Mannlicher

that chit is right out of dumphugistan. Geez

You pick "dumphugistan" up from some 10YO? Surely an adult can do better. In your case perhaps not.

Watch out there may be a Yankee outside the door. Best go and check...

Look, look there is another!!!!

still laughing at your fatuity. smile

Sam......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey thanks,

Learned a new word today. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by battue; 06/19/17.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The terms did allow them to take their horses and mules and they were supplied with food.

My Great Grandpa Patton lived in Bradley County Arkansas when Arkansas entered the war. I don't know any more than that, and Bradley County was about three times the size that it currently is. When the 2nd Arkansas Infantry was formed in Helena, Arkansas, he enlisted a few days later, and was in for the duration of the war, mustering out in North Carolina. He walked back to Bradley County, to find that His family had moved back to Mississippi. He then walked back to Miss. to find them. How He came to be in Prairie County, Arkansas later, is not known, but there is a large presence of former rebel soldiers here, from all over. He bought the land that I currently live on in 1889. miles

Miles,

It takes special people to make it thru those kinds of hard times. Many of us today may not make the cut.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Miles,

It takes special people to make it thru those kinds of hard times. Many of us today may not make the cut.

your comment rings true. on the other hand, we are all descended from an extremely tough crowd. they were able to survive to breed, and thus carry forward their genetics. and here we all are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Time capsule found inside Confederate Statue being removed.

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=536159831&videoVersion=1.0

I hope there is a Confederate Flag inside. If so we need to push to have it flown over all the Confederate Capitals.

[Linked Image]

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Time capsule found inside Confederate Statue being removed.

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=536159831&videoVersion=1.0

I hope there is a Confederate Flag inside. If so we need to push to have it flown over all the Confederate Capitals.

[Linked Image]

Very interesting. I hope to see what is in the time capsule. Thanks for the link.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
interesting thought on the thread....

on top of having ancestors who fought in the Civil War... seems like we have some of us who have relatives and campfire friends
who are still fighting the civil war.

as far as slavery, it still never dawns on most folks, especially liberals and what they teach in schools "up north"...

slaves were owned mainly by less than 3% of the entire population...

and anyone who had even one or two slaves at most, that total made up less than 5% of the entire population
in slave states...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There's a new statue being erected in New Orleans to replace Robert E. Lee's statue called Robert E. Leroy. Its a black guy standing on the pedestal with his pants hanging down over his butt. Some of you may want to google that as it's been on the net lately.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My maternal grandmother's uncle was in a PA volunteer reg't, killed at Gettysburg. Found his name on the Pennsylvania Memorial there at Gettysburg.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grandpappy somewhere in this group of CSA prisoners at Fisher's Hill.

[Linked Image]

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Found this and thought I'd add. Tried doing reasearch to see if I could join the Sons of the Republic of Texas, but while my family has been in Texas for 6 generations, I'm one generation off (on all sides) from being here during the Republic. Apparently my direct father's side (my last name) fought for Arkansas in the Civil War then moved to Nocona, Texas right after the war. According to family records, my family owned 5,000+ acres between modern day Nocona, Tx and Montague, Tx but was slowly split up as the next three generations had 7+ male heirs. There is still a creek named "Ritchie Creek" found between the two cities. Found this record written by a historian in California.

"He served in the CSA as a private (named William T. Richey, sic) in Captain Perry Clayton's Company, 30-Day Volunteers. This company was raised in response to Colonel Borland's call of November 5, 1861, mustered into the Confederate service on November 9, 1861, for 30 days, and discharged on December 9, 1861, at Pitman's Ferry, Arkansas. This information obtained from Bryan R. Howerton, found at www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/clayton.html. Also on this roster were Isaac W. Armstrong, First Lieutenant; Richard DeKalb Armstrong; Thomas J. Turner; and Robert G. Richey (sic).

Tommy Ritchie next enlisted as a private on 1 November 1862 at Evening Shade, Arkansas in Co. D of the 8th Arkansas Cavalry (listed as "W.T. Richey"). At the time of enlistment his age was 37 and states he had been born in Virginia. He was detailed as butcher in this company on 1 Jul 1863. He was paroled 5 Jun 1865 at Jacksonport, Arkansas. Also in the 8th Arkansas Cavalry were David Mastin Armstrong (future son-in-law); John G. Gibbins (future son-in-law to his brother Isaac Ritchie); David's father Richard Dickson and brother Isaac Huntley Armstrong; R.D. Armstrong Sr. and Jr.; Jeptha Daniel Armstrong; and Thomas Joseph Turner (future father-in-law to Tommy's future granddaughter Sarah Lee Armstrong)."

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Great Great Grandfather, 2nd Lieutenant Thomas King, Co D, 44th Regiment, NC State Troops, CSA.

https://www.usarmyregistry.org/Registry/Plaque.aspx?honoreeID=28945

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.