Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
If I sell a firearm to someone and ship it to an FFL for transfer, can the FFL dealer send it directly back to me if the purchaser for what ever reason decides he doesn't want it?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As long as you are both in the same state, yes.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The FFL dealer can return it directly to you as long a transfer to the buyer is not done. If the transfer to the buyer is done then it would have to be shipped to your FFL dealer and you would have to do the paperwork just like you never owned it.

The receiving FFL has to log in into his records as being received by his business and when he returns it to you he has to log it in the record book as being returned to you, so you may expect to pay a fee for his paperwork. You may want to sort out what the fee would be if you are contemplating that the rifle will be returned.

If you have any doubts about the process call your local BATF office, if you do not like the answer they give ask them to refer you to the appropriate section of BATF regs where it says that it cannot be done that way. They are required to know the ins and outs of a lot of regulations and sometimes will give an answer just off the top of their head.

Being in the same state has nothing to do with the situation you are asking about.
If both buyer and seller are in the same state, and the state does not have a law against it, an FFL transfer is not required by Federal law as long as you have no reason to suspect that the buyer is a criminal.

You may want to read up on the BATF FAQ's, they are very helpful, and written in plain english, not "lawyerese".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by drover
The FFL dealer can return it directly to you as long a transfer to the buyer is not done. If the transfer to the buyer is done then it would have to be shipped to your FFL dealer and you would have to do the paperwork just like you never owned it.

The receiving FFL has to log in into his records as being received by his business and when he returns it to you he has to log it in the record book as being returned to you, so you may expect to pay a fee for his paperwork. You may want to sort out what the fee would be if you are contemplating that the rifle will be returned.

If you have any doubts about the process call your local BATF office, if you do not like the answer they give ask them to refer you to the appropriate section of BATF regs where it says that it cannot be done that way. They are required to know the ins and outs of a lot of regulations and sometimes will give an answer just off the top of their head.

Being in the same state has nothing to do with the situation you are asking about.
If both buyer and seller are in the same state, and the state does not have a law against it, an FFL transfer is not required by Federal law as long as you have no reason to suspect that the buyer is a criminal.

You may want to read up on the BATF FAQ's, they are very helpful, and written in plain english, not "lawyerese".

drover

I agree with everything you say except the FAQs... many of the answers there are demonstrably wrong... I would also add the returned gun is relogged in the book as a new entry, not simply written in as returned. That is a function of the transfer having been done. The return is considered a new transfer.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

drover

I agree with everything you say except the FAQs... many of the answers there are demonstrably wrong... I would also add the returned gun is relogged in the book as a new entry, not simply written in as returned. That is a function of the transfer having been done. The return is considered a new transfer.

I read the OP's post as that he was shipping the rifle to the transferring FFL as an unlicensed person.

If that is the case the FFL that received the rifle can send it back to the original seller, IF a transfer has not taken place. Yes, you are correct that the return would have to be logged in the FFL's record book as a new entry but the seller could have it returned back to his possession without a new transfer taking place on his end.
No different than sending a rifle to a factory or gunsmith for repairs.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

drover

I read the OP's post as that he was shipping the rifle to the transferring FFL as an unlicensed person.

If that is the case the FFL that received the rifle can send it back to the original seller, IF a transfer has not taken place. Yes, you are correct that the return would have to be logged in the FFL's record book as a new entry but the seller could have it returned back to his possession without a new transfer taking place on his end.
No different than sending a rifle to a factory or gunsmith for repairs.

drover

Yup, you are completely correct, except it does not HAVE to be a new entry if sent back before a transfer takes place. You absolutely may create a new entry.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 3,295 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,860
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.