-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I get older I prefer lighter, lower recoiling rifles, although my .300WM and .338WM still get used. While I've never hunted goats or sheep (and have zero desire to do so), I do hunt elk. IF I were going after goats or sheep I'd look for a light rifle chambered for a flat shooting cartridge in the .257 to 7mm range.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
130 gr in .270 is plenty for sheep/goat. Shot my first two rams with 100 gr in .243. Bang. Flop. 20 yards and 100 yards approx.

6.5 would be a real good one too. Mine likes 140's but lighter would work, especially with premiums, which are not really necessary for anything, unless for accuracy reasons.

A straight fixed 6X scope is also an excellent choice.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Pittu
]
Originally Posted by gerry35

I have seen them shot with everything from a 260 Rem to 9.3x62 and not surprisingly they all work fine. The guy I guided for really liked the 338 WM for goats and liked some of the bigger 300 magnums. This year I'm going to carry my 35 Whelen with 200 gr Accubonds again, it's the lightest gun I own and will work great if we run into a grizzly. Have yet to shoot a goat with the Whelen so really hope it happens this year smile

Edit to add, I goats are one animal I like something a bit more powerful like a 30-06 or bigger but the one I shot with the 260 Rem died quick.

Most mountain hunts I do involve traveling through brown bear country, the 338WM just feels right from start to finish, even if it is a bit heavy...I did just pick up a Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 CM that I got for mountain hunting

Never came off a goat or sheep hunt wishing for a heavier rifle... wink

Never heard anyone else fresh off a mountain hunt regretting they did not carry a heavier rifle.

You're correct of course and no argument about it, but, on the other hand, I've never come off a mountain with a 9 lb 338 and said "that damn heavy rifle ruined my hunt". ... In any event, I am 95% sure I'll be taking the 6 1/2 lb, 6.5 creedmoor on my next alpine outing.....must be getting old smile

Eat moose, burn spruce
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My choice when building was a Rem 600 barreled into 284 Win years ago by Mickey Coleman. Have brass and 140 Barnes so far.

Have never shot the gun, never even put the action back into the stock to rebed either... Will when I have to.

Doesn't mean I"m right, just ended up being my choice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
If I ever get drawn I would likely tote my 280. An old M70 in an edge stock and a fairly svelte 23" barrel. Its around 7.5#'s ready to go. The 150 BT has been a great bullet in it.

If I were to buy new, It'd be a toss up between a Montana, T3 superlite, or even a Howa alpine.

I wouldn't care much about the chambering as long as it was 6.5 to .308 and a case capacity between the Creed and the '06.

I'm still a big fan of the leupold 6x42.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not an expert, but my conclusion from a sample of one (solo backpack hunt) is that goats do carry a lot of lead for there size. The average 9" billy I shot required 3 Nosler 180 Partitions from a 30-06 to fully anchor him for good. Then he still managed to do the tumble! Like anything else, shot placement first, cartridge second. Follow that rule and any middle road rem-chester will do the trick. Me, I'd take a 270, 280, 30-06 that weighed no more than 7.5 lbs.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
taking a 300 win mag to northern b.c this sept for goat/moose hunt, loves 180 gr ttsx, model 70 that redneck made for me, fits me very well

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go pick up the Kimber mountain ascent on the classifieds in 308. Sub 5lbs, recoil not bad...

Keep me from buying it!!!!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
You may want to look at a 6.5x55 Swede. Light recoil, excellent ballistics with modern loads.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by drover
I have shot a few goats but that does make me an expert, however I will pass along my thoughts as if I am one.

My go-to rifle was a 30/06 loaded with a 165 gr Nosler Partition. It was J C Higgins (FN Mauser) with a Butler Creek tupperware stock, Leupold 6x36 scope - I am guessing it was around 8 lbs all up, I didn't find it particularly offensive weight wise probably because it handled so good.

If I were going today I would take a Tikka stainless/synthetic with a Leupold 6x36, for a caliber I would take either a 7/08 or 270,with a Nosler Partition. No need for a custom, super light weight rifle, or something that kills on both ends, that combo will work just fine.

IMO tales of goats toughness are exaggerated. If you look at the skeletal make-up of a goat you will see that his hump is quite a bit higher than his vitals. Many hunters center on the body like they were shooting a deer or elk and as a consequence the bullet goes through the lower part of the hump, which is heavily muscled, and the goat keeps going on because the bullet passes through muscle, not vitals.
Anyone who says a goat is not heavily muscled has never skinned one, or have been in the country where they live.

Something else to keep in mind - the Billies are hard to distinguish from the Nannies, a good way to make a quick and fairly accurate judgement of which it is take a look at the eye. A billy's eye will be about the same size as the base of his horn - a nannies will be smaller. Also a good set of horns will be at least twice as long as the ear, twice as long as the ear horns will measure out around 10", anything longer is a real trophy.

My goats have been taken at close range, anywhere from 75 to 150 yds. I have seen a lot at further range but resisted the temptation to shoot them - just because you can see them doesn't mean that you can get to them after they are down.

I am old enough and stove up enough now that I won't be going after any more goats, although a sheep hunt may still be out there for me (if I could just draw a tag).

drover

Solid advice!

Plus knowing the country you call home, there are a fair amount of respectable critters local to you. I have seen more goats and sheep in that part of the state than anywhere.

Funny where they can end up though. Sometimes in places you would not at all expect.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have the current barrel recontoured to a lighter weight. Easy peesy!
PM me and I will send a name of a guy who is competent.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd go with something with a little less recoil. Hard kicking stuff ain't fun when shooting in monkey pucking a jug positions, and you can get into some weird shooting positions in the rocks.

Twice I have been given the Weatherby Kiss by my 30-06 while using an alder for support in the mountains of Kodiak. Every shot I took up there involved an awkward position. I used alders, a jacket draped over a rock or my backpack as a field rest. You use what's close and it's rarely like a bench rest. My 243 and 257 Roberts never left me with a nasty gash in my forehead and blood running down my face. I mild recoiling rifle on a diet is just the ticket for mountain hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I have never been on a sheep or goat hunt and for some weird reason don't have the sheep bug yet, but have recently started liking the idea of a goat hunt. If I were to do this, I may try to book a hunt in BC. But with all this goat hunting going through my head, it got me thinking rifles. I have my trusty Win 70 270, but it's 9 pounds loaded up so we need to go lighter on the weight....I got this setup running through my head right now - thoughts -

Tikka T3x Superlite stainless 300 win mag
McMillan Sako Classic Edge
Talley ringmounts
NF NXS 2.5-10x42

Probably around 7.5# loaded up, maybe a touch less. Would be willing to have a heavier scope for pure reliability factor. If I could put this setup together for $25-2600 would it be a good investment or would there be better options for that $$$$ (Keep in mind I'm pretty set on the NF 2.5-10X42)

This rifle would be a strict mountain gun for the occasional sheep/goat hunt.

Man that's a lot of rifle! eek

I'd be taking a 6.5 or 7mm on a short action.... like a 7 WSM or 6.5 SAUM or even step it down to 7-08 or Creed.

A 7.5# 300 WM would border on the unshootable (in any kind of volume) for me. I like to shoot.

Like the scope choice!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago, I was stationed in Alaska with USAF. I hunted Dall sheep with a co-worker as a guide and we both brought .308 rifles for this adventure. We saw many sheep but getting within reasonable shooting distance was a challenge. My partner shot his ram at a distance of approx 125 yards while mine was taken at about 150 yards. Both were one shot kills in very steep country.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.