Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 63 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 62 63
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sucks to have issues with PB, all our pictures are stored there and have never had an issue with them or being able to post.

I have no clue if I can post right now or not through PB. It was super easy using PB and pictures came out right. have a shout out to Rick right now but no reply. Probably will hear after the holiday is over.

Back to the thread.... BSA, i've never had a gun that didn't walk the rounds one way or another as teh charges go up or down. If I ever do, it would probably scare me.

Hence the use of the audette system for finding your node....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks rost, I just thought this one was odd, how it rotated the groups/poi in a clockwise pattern. Generally with my other rifles, the group dispersion goes straight up or down, depending on charge wt. Not in a corkscrew orientation. Just seemed weird...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
My Noveske is hovering right around moa. Now I need to work on my shooting skill and try to drop it down to sub moa... I think this load of AR comp and sierra 69gr. bthp is working well.

You might try bumping the powder charge up a little...............might tighten up in your gun, might not.

I'm using 23.6 grains with 69's; 22.9-23.1 with 77/75's.

Not much data on AR-Comp.....................but unless your gun is unusual, I think you have room to move up a little.

AR Comp is a re-formulated & temp resistant version of RL-15, & as I understand it, when it was re-formulated, the burn rate became a tad faster than standard RL-15.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for that info MM. I did try bumping up the charge wt. on the Noveske using the 73gr. Hornady ELD match and also the 69gr. sierra. I noticed groups got bigger by doing so. My stag loved them, but the Noveske, not so much..... Dang Noveske anyway...When the 3 shot groups opened up to 1", I knew it was getting further away from the node. The picture sucks, but the 4th. charge wt. I tried was at 22.5 and it was shooting somewhere around 1/2" 3 shot groups and 3/4" (actual .710") 5 shot groups and .973" 10 shot group. The picture sucks balls, but that's what they were.... The Noveske really flung the 73gr. wide as the powder charge went above 23gr..... about 1 1/4" 3 shot groups... Those loads sucked so bad I burned them up in my Rogue defense.... Tried pulling those ELD match bullets, but they are soft sob's. Not worth it, so just burned them up on paper.... Sorry, no pics of those chitty groups either... grin... I'm loving that powder though. Glad you talked me into trying it. Works like a dream in my RCBS uni-flo powder measure...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
i am still danged new to the ar business, and need some advice on factory ammunition for baseline accuracy/precision. my son built me a compact ar (spikes upper and lower, iron city bcg, bcm charging handle, troy ambi bolt release, daniel defense furniture, ALG QMS trigger, and 16-inch barrel, 1/9, whose manufacturer escapes me now). rig is tight.
i finally swapped the burris fastfire III for a scope (bushnell banner 4x42, a scope that has proven tough and correct in adjustments, despite cost) and shot it last week off bags at 100 yards to look at potential.
federal economy box 55 gr fmj tends to shoot 2-3 moa in 5 round groups with wacky fliers. winchester white box 62 gr fmj 855 shoots a little less than 2 moa with no fliers in 5 round groups. winchester 62 gr hunting SPs sub 2 moa in three-shot groups. i'll fret about deer ammo later.
what else might i try?
thanks ...

Last edited by paulfish308; 07/09/17.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW, for the most part ammo that has FMJ in it, isn't great and can be way worse than not great. Maybe save for Lapua FMJ possibly. Some 62s, and especially some weight sorted 62s, but who has time for all that.

Find ammo, for your twist, lets say 73 or so and down, it MIGHT shoot 75/77 but you won't know till you try.

So look for 73, or 68/69, or 52 bthp bullets. Or something like 50 or 60 vmax. Anything but FMJ will tell you if your barrel is better than what you've typed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
thank you, rost. i don't mind springing for some prime ammo to properly wring out the rig. i handloaded for many years until medical issues put the hiatus on most shooting and hunting. that's over, so, i reckon i'll get back into it if the rig proves capable ...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best of the FMJ M193 that I've found is IMI's 55 grain ammo; the MEN stuff from Germany is pretty good too.

The PMC Bronze .223 is decent, but generally not quite as good as IMI, if it will cycle reliably in your gun...............

The Norma Tac 55 is reputed by some to be pretty decent too, but I've not tried it but I will whenever I need to buy some more banging ammo.

Or if you really want to know what your gun can do, just buy some Federal GM 69 or 77 grain ammo, depending on your barrel twist; Hornady TAP & Match in whatever bullet weight you want, is pretty good too for factory ammo.

MM

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had really good results with Hornady Steel Match loaded with their 75 gr HPBT. This in my HBAR. I recently bought a bunch on sale from Midway for $20 a box of 50. I whacked a couple of hogs with it a couple of months ago too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...low-point-boat-tail-steel-case-box-of-50

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
69 federal GMM is about the "gold standard" and will be fine in a 9 FWIW>

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
i think that is what i'll order, rost. thanks again. also, i'm going to swap out the bushnell banner for a weaver classic k6 on nikon p3 mounts ...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't order a case though.... every now and then the gold standard isn't the best in your gun

If there were a way to get to a shop.... or even online, I'd pick 4-5 or so different rounds and get 20 each just to see.

Remember, if you do this, then shoot 1 for group, IE out of the first box, when you are done, dump off 2-3 of the 2nd box into the dirt or on steel or such, to make sure the barrel settles with the new type of powder fouling and possibly even new type of jacket fouling, THEN shoot for group and so on.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
rost, i ordered two boxes. and thanks for still another tip on shooting for group. i will pick a couple of boxes of something different from academy and/or bass pro, which have stores in my area.
ARs be a bunch different from bolt guns, which i can tune every which-a-way. it is a pretty steep learning curve ...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The bolt gun will show you the same exact thing if changing powder/bullets. IE it might make a big difference, for the first few shots, generally not more than 1-2 which is why I say 3... but it might not.

But you eliminate a variable this way.

OR at least don't trust the first few shots of the first group.... IE if they are wild, shoot another group.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
gotcha, rost. it just seems there are far fewer gun-related variables with a bolt, compared to the AR ...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There are... depending....how much you put on a bolt gun for match shooting or how little you put on an AR...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW one of our old shooting friends shot bolt gun while Carolyn and I shot gas guns in competition.

I asked him once WHY?

Said he was tired of waiting for the gas guns to cycle the next round in so he went to manual transmission so he could do it as fast as he wanted to.

LOL

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
well, my idea of match-shooting is the challenge on this thread ... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A lot of good knowledge here in this thread. Thanks for starting this one!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
this thread is the only reason that i am staying with the 'fire after my most recent return ...

Page 39 of 63 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.