Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Anyone have one of these. Thinking about getting one but haven't seen one to put my hands on it.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had two, a 30-06 and a 7-08. Both were the LSS version. I think now they come in a 'glas stock so this might not be true anymore, but in the laminate stock they are seriously butt-heavy rifles.

My '06 was a 2 MOA rifle and so it was rebarreled. My 7-08 is a shooter and I went all-in on it in terms of lightening it up.

It's arguable that you'd be better off spending a few more $$ and buying a Kimber. Flame suit on.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

It's arguable that you'd be better off spending a few more $$ and buying a Kimber. Flame suit on.

OR

Less $$$ and buy a Tikka T3X Lite

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll go along with the Tikka recommendation, but if you are dead set on the Remington, get it! Ive handled them and like them..and Im a Remington fan. Big Time. I even have a stock off one of the mountain rifles on my 6.8 cause I like the ergos.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Had one of the recent ones with the B&C stock, in 270. It shot well as long as you did not try more than a couple shots at a time. Well being solidly into an inch with a few different 130 bullets. It was a little light up front so offhand was a bit more of a challenge, fwiw. I had no issues with the rifle, but it did not speak to me so went down the road.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you like Remingtons and the ergos of the stock, then they are a very good gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several of the older stainless mtn guns. Damn fine accurate rifles. As stated earlier they are ass heavy and need a light stock.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have owned one in 7mm08 for two years. Remington's website is wrong. The LA are 6.5 lbs, but the SA are 6.25 lbs. The B&C stock weighs 34 oz so the rifle is quite butt heavy with the skinny mountain contour barrel.

I sold the B&C stock and bought a Wildcat Composites stock that finished at 19.8 oz with pad, paint and bedding. Now the rifle is 5 lbs 6.3 oz bare.

It's nice that Remington has the option for the skinny barrel from factory, and while the B&C stock is stiff and strong, it is way too heavy for a mountain rifle. The good thing is they are easy to sell as a take off and there are lightweight options out there that can make the rifle really nice and light.

With the heavy B&C:
[Linked Image]

With the Wildcat:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sillyak; 07/09/17.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well I was looking at the .308 win. so will be a short action. Had hopes that the B&C stock would fit it better than the older laminated stock of the LSS. Am a Remington fan from way back and am pretty sold on this one. Try not to take many offhand shots as there are way too many trees to get a rest against here where I'm at.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by OkieShooter
Well I was looking at the .308 win. so will be a short action. Had hopes that the B&C stock would fit it better than the older laminated stock of the LSS. Am a Remington fan from way back and am pretty sold on this one. Try not to take many offhand shots as there are way too many trees to get a rest against here where I'm at.

The B&C is a good stock. It is solid, stiff, tough, grippy and has an aluminum bedding block (still need to bed it like any rifle IMO). It's just fairly heavy. If that's not an issue have at er.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got one in 7-08. Stainless with the B&C stock, about 50 rounds fired thru it. Very nice handling rifle, and not to bad a shooter. For some reason, I just don't use it anymore. I'm thinking about putting it up for sale.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Sillyak
\Wildcat Composites stock that finished at 19.8 oz with pad, paint and bedding. Now the rifle is 5 lbs 6.3 oz bare.

With the Wildcat:
[Linked Image]

Could you describe the Wildcat a bit more (more pics maybe?), what did you do to finish it, what pad, etc? It looks very nice for such a light stock.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I've had mine, a stainless 30/06 with the laminated stock, for 14 years and to me it balances well. When I check my 'scope I usually just shoot pairs and they are usually inside 3/4".

When I first got it and boresighted it, the vertical looked good but I gave it about 8 clicks to the right. The first shots were 2" high and 1" right. Back 4 clicks left and sight in was done. I love it when that happens.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html

My blank (sanded and filled) was 17.2 oz. As I say it finished at 19.8 oz. I had a gunsmith do the fitting, bedding, painting and swivel install. I don't know what he uses for paint, but I like it. I did the recoil pad myself and this is where I saved an ounce or two. Don't laugh but this has been a recent trend on a Canadian gun fourm I am on, as it makes a very light and functional recoil pad. It's just a plain black flip flop sandal cut and sanded to shape and epoxied on.

As for Wildcat, they are a smaller business so they don't have as many blanks or options like the big manufacturers, but they are very light, strong and stiff. They don't feel cheap or hollow and the ergonomics/design are very well thought out. They are well regarded by knowledgeable members of the Canadian firearms community. In my experience, they are better than a McEdge. Ergonomics can be subjective; but, they are certainly lighter and are just as strong.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The little bit of added weight of the B&C doesn't bother me as much as if the rifle balances in the hand. Looking for light but not ultra light. Don't do many backpack hunts in the part of the world I'm in. Mostly just walk from the truck and start hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMHO, the 700 Mtn Rifle, regardless of caliber, is a tad heavy with the B&C stock. Add to that, and again, IMHO, the wrist of the B&C stock feels bulky, and makes the stock feel like a club. Replacing the B&C with a Brown Precision, Rimrock (if you can find one) or a McM in a pattern of your choosing w/edge fill is a real difference maker. DAMHIKT

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a vxiii- 2X8 32mm.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Agree with everything WiFowler said. Personally, a micky hunters edge is my favorite for weight and balance on a SA 700 MR.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 07/10/17.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Agree with everything WiFowler said. Personally, a micky hunters edge is my favorite for weight and balance on a SA 700 MR.

What would a SA weigh in an Edge with light weight bottom metal and fluted bolt and handle?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have SA 700 LSS-MR barreled actions installed in McM Compact and Mountain Rifle style stocks, 700 Ti stocks, and a Bansnar/HTS stock. Although the McM MR style stocks aren't edge-filled and are a little heavier, I like them the best. I prefer a raised cheekpiece on my stocks and although I don't like open, shallow radius, pistol grip geometry, I can tolerate the 700 Ti stocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 21 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.