Campfire Outfitter
R
Please keep us updated on this.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mow1954
Yes, this site.

Please post a link to his ad, or give us his username so we can ignore his sorry azz. Thats how I keep track of the unwanted ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, this site.

What was his user name on here ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
mow1954 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry guys, but as indicated in my initial post, I didn't make note of his user name.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did you post on his thread when buying the handgun?

If so just search your posts.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mow..

Are you SURE you did the deal here? I looked over your previous posts and NADA with regards to buying a handgun here within the last 6 months

If you did not post on his for sale thread , then SURELY you must still have the PM correspondence in your message folder contacting him about the purchase?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry guys, but as indicated in my initial post, I didn't make note of his user name.

mow,

How did you come across the handgun for sale here?
A quick search of "Kimber CDP" in the classifieds produces very few results - same for your post activity in the last 6 months.

Last edited by SKane; 07/08/17. Reason: Doh - looks like jk16 inquired about the same thing while I was typing. :)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
mow1954 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The guys post listed an email, and that's how I communicated with him. I provided that email in my initial message. I never posted on this site. I'd love to provide more info, but I don't have it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The guys post listed an email

First red flag to me unless he is willing to communicate here as well.

I try to post at least something on the open forum.

Also any gun purchases from this site always warrant a phone call to seller as well, unless I have done business with before.

No matter how much we try to cover our azzes or how careful we are there will always be these types.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/08/17.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Reloder28: So YOU have the seller ship the firearm BEFORE you pay for it?
If not how does your "method" prevent the "seller" from cashing said check/money order etc and just keeping the U.S. currency and never shipping said firearm?
VarmintGuy

I have the seller take the firearm to his FFL for shipment. If he is unwilling to do so the deal is off. My FFL submits payment to the shipping FFL. The gun is shipped once payment is rcv'd by the shipping FFL. When the gun arrives I pay my FFL and retrieve my firearm. It takes extra time, but this method guards the buyer from shady dealings.

I suspect not many FFL's will be willing to go that route.

Nothing against R28, but that would be a deal killer for me as a seller....unless the buyer is willing to pay about $75 more on a rifle and even more on a handgun. I don't have any FFL's here that want to ship guns for an individual. The corporate FFL will do it, but they charge out the nose.

Last edited by 257heaven; 07/08/17.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The only thing I can think of to get a read on a buyer or seller here is to look through their old posts to see who they might have done business with here.
If you contact another member and they vouch for.the buyer/seller you'll be that much closer to being confident about your transaction. No garrantees but it does help.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There is NO WAY to not get cheated, defrauded, or ripped-off.... maybe you are doing a f2f, but your seller don't know he's ruined whatever you're buying from improper use/maintenance, but it looks good to him/her and seems to work fine.... Do you take a borescope with you when you buy? Do you dismount an action from a bedded stock on a custom rifle?

All sorts of rip-offs.

Were you ripped-off when that custom stockmaker botches the barrel channel inlet? How much confirmation of their incompetence do you need after they replace defective product with 2 more botched stocks? Should a custom stockmaker of huge reputation be able to make their product so it don't bubble-up or flake apart? Should they be able to deliver a standard Win 70 factory barrel channel inlet done right? If they can't or won't, they are a fraud. Fraud is a Big Rip-Off. Lots of money made in Crime where there is only Civil Lawsuit Prosecution at your expense...

Should a $1400 brand new Big Tactical Name scope 2-12x w/35mm tube deliver decent optical resolution at 2-4x and 10-12x? Or is resolution quality that a coke bottle will outperform acceptable? Should the USA franchise owner be able to see or test for the distortion and abide by their warranty? Is it a rip-off when all you get back from the scope seller is a letter saying scope is "within specs"?

How you not gonna get ripped off if the bastards decide not live up to their warranty, much less decide to cheat you right from the start? Guess what! Under "warranty law" you got even less opportunity to force your rip-off mfr to do right by you... If their warranty replacement is also a rip-off; you are just screwed...

How much larceny lies in the hearts of men?

What about when the buyer is The Rip-Off Artist and he/she says you sent them merchandise in less than described condition when you Know you sent Brand New Merchandise?
How about when the ROB (Rip Off Buyer) uses Paypal to pay you, but won't file a case with them for refund?

Not too often are you buying from an FFL holder; if ever. If your ROS (rip-off seller) ships you junk through an FFL and your FFL signs it through his book; you bought it... DO You have your FFL inspect your purchase BEFORE you do the paperwork? Pay an extra $50 or $100 for their time to go through what you already paid for? Probably Not...

Gonna buy a used scope that don't have an applicable warranty that extends to you, the new buyer? Unless you are an optics repair guy, that is foolish.

Everybody expects something for nothing. Nowadays, nobody has anymore money to play with anyway. If something is priced too good to be true, it usually is a warning signal.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by 257heaven
If not how does your "method" prevent the "seller" from cashing said check/money order etc and just keeping the U.S. currency and never shipping said firearm?
VarmintGuy

I have the seller take the firearm to his FFL for shipment. If he is unwilling to do so the deal is off. My FFL submits payment to the shipping FFL. The gun is shipped once payment is rcv'd by the shipping FFL. When the gun arrives I pay my FFL and retrieve my firearm. It takes extra time, but this method guards the buyer from shady dealings.

Nothing against R28, but that would be a deal killer for me as a seller....unless the buyer is willing to pay about $75 more on a rifle and even more on a handgun. I don't have any FFL's here that want to ship guns for an individual. The corporate FFL will do it, but they charge out the nose.

Same here, my FFL doesn't ship.

And Hogan, while I won't question your experiences in any way, I've bought (and sold) more on here than I probably should have and haven't been burned. Most guys on here have proven to be solid citizens. I made one sale, tent/shelter, that the buyer noted a flaw after receipt that I had not listed and was not aware of. I immediately apologized and offered a full refund including his return shipping costs. He declined, but I still don't like that it happened.

In any event, it remains "buyer beware" but I believe few members with a solid history will jeopardize their reputations for the $'s involved in most classifieds transactions.

Last edited by USMC2602; 07/08/17.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hogan: YES... I do "take a bore scope with me when I buy..."!
"Buyer use the utmost caution at all times and in all venues"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Gentlemen,I've been following this discussion and as a newby member, without many postings or transactions, it's been eye opening to say the least. I too am very sorry to hear about any of you being ripped off, especially if it's on the "Fire". I have done some deals and always had a great outcome on small items. As tempting as the hardware is on this site, I'm too chicken to bite as I don't know anyone and I like to handle and inspect before handing over hard earned money. All you folks strike me as very knowledgeable and honest. I always like to think there's a special place in hell for lowlifes who rip off others. I really enjoy learning from you guys, thank-you.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just jumping in on the ARMS LIST rip offs , a buddy of mine sent a western union money order tor a Rem. 700 BDL 7mm mag with Leup. 4-12 ,advertised on Arms List for $550.00 . He never got the gun or any communication from the seller . Arms List web site would not help or talk .

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
$550.00 for A Remington BDL with a scope was A good deal....10 years ago! You have to get the guys address.. then Google the nearest Gunshop in that town. If he wont take it there to let the FFL do the deal and ship, if he wont take a picture of himself holding the gun with the date. He most likely had an accent, and cant spell worth beans. Just keep your flags up. they make a living now scamming. Sure like to give one lead poisoning..........

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I found a gun on Armslist that I sort of liked, and went to Gunbroker to check prices.

There it was, same gun, different seller. I contacted the GB seller and told him some one else was selling his gun, and boy did he get steamed. Last I heard he was getting in his car to go 2 states away to "buy his gun"

Wonder how that turned out.

HM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep thats what the scammers do. One of the tricks to discover an Armslist scammer is copy the first 1 or 2 sentences of an Armslist ad. Paste whole thing in Google search bar. It will fit. They steal ads and pics from all over, word for word.

Last edited by TallPine; 07/09/17.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven
VarmintGuy

No worries,we trust you anyway.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,970
Posts18,499,310
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.