Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I first apologize if this info is already on the forum but looked around and couldn't find what I was looking for. My LGS has a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye, wood stock, red pad, blued barrel, in 308. It's discounted to $675. Rifle looks great-classic-and shoulders nicely. How do these stack up against other rifles in the same general price range, sub $1500. I'm currently hunting rifle-less. I figure with the included rings and no need for bases that I would save a good bit.

How is the accuracy, trigger, any known issues?

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pretty general question, which will get you lots of "opinions"...
Ruger's are built stronger than most tanks, and the recievers are definitely harder than anything else out there. While not many will do any aftermarket work on them, some smiths won't work on them(like drilling and tapping the reciever) because they are so hard. Ruger has LONG had very very accurate barrels. Been hammer forging things correctly before the public thought it was cool to do. They are CRF, so if that or the thought of a mauser type extractor gets the juices flowing, it's your bag. The drawback is that they can be one of the lesser smooth both throws. one of mine was rather nasty until I sat and worked it back and forth, smoothed things out; the other one has always been nice. Personally I detest the LC6 triggers, but 98% of the population wouldn't know creep if it slapped them in the face, as long as the pull weight is light. Personally I like the Preditor version better, as it has the same 2-stage adjustable target trigger found in their VT series.
I've been working on ridding myself of all non-Ruger rifles for a while now, personally I like them better than any alternatives. But some people like Vanilla not chocolate, so, no accounting for taste.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the detailed response. Was thinking it would be nice with a fixed 6x. How are the included rings?

Last edited by eamyrick; 07/15/17.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The rings are strong and the factory setup us a good one. Some rings are a bit rough on the inside where they touch the scope so a little lapping won't hurt. That said I've only ran across one stainless rifle that needed lapping.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Agreed. Not going to find stronger, or simpler. But a bit of a buffing never hurt either.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
To get better, IMO, you must go about ten times the asking price - to a full blown custom. It's got a superb CRF action, complete with a blade ejector ala Mauser, terrific trigger, integral scope bases, steel bottom metal, superb safety that actually holds back the striker (not just locking the trigger). Stock has a great shape, feels great in the hands.

Why do you suppose so few of these and MkIIs are listed for sale?

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Is there any need to free float the average rifle? Anyone know the action screw torque specs? Think the only thing I would do is add a $100 Timney trigger set at 2.5lb.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No need to add a trigger.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Is there any need to free float the average rifle? Anyone know the action screw torque specs?

95 inch-lbs ... answered at 1:32 in the following reassembly youtube video by Ruger.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
...That's almost farmer tight.

IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ruger really wants that front (angled) screw tight.

My 308 Hawkeye gave me good hunting precision (3 rounds in under 1 1/2 inches), and a shockingly pretty piece of Ruger walnut. I bought it second-hand, and it already had a Timney and a Limbsaver on it. Still had the factory pressure point at the forend. Eliminating the up-pressure did not improve precision, so I personally say leave it alone. I strongly dislike Timneys for hunting. Their spring is too light for field use, though it's great for the range. I ended up with Ruger's spring with Timney's shoe. That particular LC6 wasn't a great example, though I've never felt another with the creep it has, so I think it was a one-off issue or something.

Rugers are my favorite field guns. They make good barrels, so they shoot well, and they're ultra-strong, durable, reliable, and safe.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A little moly truck bearing grease here and there slicked up my Predator a lot. It's just a great rifle, if not to everyones' taste because of the very matte finish and veggie pizza lammy stock. I floated it and filed on the mag box a trifle just for fun. It can be a little tricky to get the action screws torqued right so the floorplate works correctly, but once done it works like a champ. Just mounted a Boxer-Stick SS 6x42 scope on mine, which bumped the weight a bit, but it still balances well and the view is awesome.

I need more rifles like I need another winky, but the Predators are pretty compelling. A 6mm CM might push me over the edge.

As far as ordinary Hawkeyes go, it's hard to beat an all-steel CRF action with a one-piece bolt for $600-$750 or so.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just came back from the range where Daughter #1 and I were shooting out to 600 yards.

All morning long she was killing clay pigeons at will at 200 and 300 yards with her walnut/blue .308 Hawkeye. At 500 her shots were dancing just off the edges of the 6" steel. Later I tried my All Weather .280 Rem Hawkeye. Wasted a pigeon at 300 on the first shot,smacked the 6" steel at 500 in the next and almost centered the steel at 600 with the third. Not bad for a pair of crappy Ruger Hawkeye rifles.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/17/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Buy the Hawkeye, you will love it. You may need to bed it and free float the barrel but this rifle is a bargain at $675. You have plenty of mag room and will have room to hit lands with your bullet not to mention the 308 will kill almost everything.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What he^^^^ said. Can't go wrong there.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a pretty good deal on a nice rifle and would not hesitate grabbing it. I have two M77's and both solid shooters and are as accurate as most of my other rifles. My M77 Hawkeye in 358 Win is a favorite and is one that I use often for deer and, it has been elk hunting once as well. I do keep the action screws torqued down checking them at least once a year. I recall having to tightening the angled screw on one rifle only once since I've had the rifles. At some point, I may decide to have my rifle M77 V/T bedded and barrel floated but right now, I really don't see a need, since both meet my accuracy expectations. It is hard to go wrong with an proven rifle like the M77 Hawkeye.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it will make a better deal, I've been looking for a Ruger Hawkeye Walnut stock. I have a new Hawkeye synthetic stock will trade with $50 boot for the walnut takeoff stock if not modified..

PM me if interested.

Thanks,
Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for all of the great info guys. GeoW-that walnut stock looks too good. Why I started looking at it in the first place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had to ask.. Thanks!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Thanks for all of the great info guys. GeoW-that walnut stock looks too good. Why I started looking at it in the first place.

Nice wood too? What are you waiting for? Wait until you wash all the brown crap off and refinish it.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,238
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.