Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok ,I'm asking this for a buddy at work,and I'm sure it will cause all sorts of hate mail. He sold a couple of guns and wants to pick up a mid range ,low recoil shooter. He will use it on deer ,varmints and possibly on elk. Of the calibers listed above ,which would you choose,and why. I own 3 of them and he has shot those ,but the jury is still out. It will be a bolt gun of some make. Least he didn't ask about a 270. Thank you ,and he'll be reading this with interest.

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Possibly on elk,the 7/08. If not,then the .257 Roberts.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
6.5 x 55..........just cause!

It works!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, the possibility of elk eliminates the 243. 257 is my personal favorite, but if he doesn't Handload, it's probably not the best. And availability of factory ammo options would probably favor the 7 over the 6.5.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
7mm08

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
IMO, the possibility of elk eliminates the 243. 257 is my personal favorite, but if he doesn't Handload, it's probably not the best. And availability of factory ammo options would probably favor the 7 over the 6.5.

This ^^^^^. He might also consider various statutes where he plans to hunt. For instance in KY the min. Caliber for elk is .270 . Don't know if there are other states that have minimums.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd go six five Creed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as well. With heavier bullets I've found the big game performance of smaller 6.5 and 7mm cartridges indistinguishable in the field--and with the Creedmoor, .257 Roberts performance with lighter bullets can easily be duplicated by handloading. Plus, the Creedmoor is rapidly becoming a standard chambering, with the attendant widespread availability of both brass and a wide array of factory ammo. The last may not seem all that important to handloaders, but popularity guarantees not only easy availability of brass, but decent prices.

Plus, the dang thing is indeed accurate. A couple days ago I was sighting-in a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor for an upcoming magazine article. I just threw together some handloads, using a combination that tends to shoot well in any of them, 41.5 grains of H4350 and the 140-grain Berger Hunting VLD. After shooting a couple of shots at 25 yards to guarantee being on paper at 100, I fired a 5-shot group. The hole just kept getting darker, because all 5 went into .33"....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
6.5 CM or 7mm08 for me, or maybe even a 7x57.

I have come to the conclusion that you don't need a 300 WSM to kill an elk, but I personally would not want to take a .243 either.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree the 6.5 hits a sweet spot that overlaps all the other choices listed. Mine's a Swede but any of the medium 6.5s would fit the bill. I haven't loaded anything lighter than 120 grain pills but will give the lightweights a try sometime. Varmints to Elk is a pretty tall order but the 6.5s can do it. Second choice and a good one is the 7-08.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good question.

True Loony answer, you need'em all...

I'd had'em all, liked'em all.

Right now, my favorite two are the 6.5 Creed and 7mm-08, because they're my current projects.

Those two are versatile, have a world of potential, hard to beat'em for all around use.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as well. With heavier bullets I've found the big game performance of smaller 6.5 and 7mm cartridges indistinguishable in the field--and with the Creedmoor, .257 Roberts performance with lighter bullets can easily be duplicated by handloading. Plus, the Creedmoor is rapidly becoming a standard chambering, with the attendant widespread availability of both brass and a wide array of factory ammo. The last may not seem all that important to handloaders, but popularity guarantees not only easy availability of brass, but decent prices...

I was browsing around the Boise Cabela's yesterday afternoon and noticed there were at least 10-12 different kinds of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo on the shelf, or about 3-4 feet of shelf space. There were two lonely boxes of .260 Remington ammo, both of them a Hormady 130 grain match load of some kind - in contrast to the last time I checked a few weeks ago when there wasn't any .260 ammo of any kind. Zero boxes of 6.5x55. Not exactly a scientific study but it definitely shows the popularity of the Creed. Actually there were about as many different kinds of 6.5 CM ammo as there was .30-30 ammo.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For low recoil deer and varmints, 243 hands down. I take the "maybe elk" to mean it's a dream but unlikely to occur. Might as well pick something for what he is using it for and the 243 is far and away the milder recoil and more than enough for varmints and deer.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like my Swede, just easier to work up high performance loads with the Creed.

That round, one of the easiest to work with I've had in 50+ years of reloading. It's even easier than the 7mm-07.
Creed and Swede wear Shilen barrels, the 7mm-08, a Hart.

So, no technical advantage, one over the other, just the rounds.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
For low recoil deer and varmints, 243 hands down. I take the "maybe elk" to mean it's a dream but unlikely to occur. Might as well pick something for what he is using it for and the 243 is far and away the milder recoil and more than enough for varmints and deer.

If I was to build another .243, it would be an 8 twist for 105's.

With these new powders and in a fast twist, the old .243 takes on new flavor.

But, I have too many ongoing projects to circle back.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF If the person is a hand loader I would suggest the 25-08 over the 243 because of the heavier bullets that can be used.. there is a never ending supply of brass by necking up or down you can get there. Just my take on an all around cartridge.. Cheers NC But what do I know???

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm coming at the ?? right now from a different angle as a old fart with a lame shouder, and hip deep in the re alignent of my shooters. For a One gun do all hunter I'd pick a 7-08...easy availability of good inexpensive factory ammo in everything from Hrn'dy's American WhitTail to the good stuff and comonly available everywhere.

Right now I am putting together a M70 7x57 and gathering & comparing data and reloading components for it. The 7-08 for all intents and purposes is the Ballistic Twin to the 7x57. I also own now, and have owned and shot as a one gun doall a 6.5x55 Swede with both of them in T3's. IMO in the 120,130 & 140's the Swede and 7-08 are about neck and neck for recoil, MV's and drop #'s out to 300 yards in the same weight bullets which is all he needs for WTails ..Elk on the other hand is different story I'm told - never killed one - but the 7-08 has made in USA factory loads in 150's & 160's at normal WTail ammo prices.

I owned and shot for well over 10 years a M70 XTR 257 Rbts's as my go to rifle, and owned at the same time a safe full of SAKO, Ruger and Winchesters from 270 thru 375H&H's after my 1st major shoulder problem. The Roberts is a great gun and cartridge with low recoil...I shot the barrel out of that M70 Rbt's. I know times have changed from the early '80 to mid '90's as far as ammo choice's and availablity go's..but the Rbt's is fine on WTails out to 3 mebbe 400 yards, but Elk??? - my semi supported 440+ yard off hand shot on a Pronghorn with 2 gun industry witness's aside - the Rbt's would not be my choice for anything with the 7-08 available.

Also not a fan of the 243 as a one gun do all, and even the "wedding present" ( I had to pay for) of a SAKO 579 243 from my grandpop in 1967 didn't convince me to keep that super accurate SAKO. A 243's fine on Texas sized WTails but reminds me a 22-250 or a 410 on dove & quail and more of an experienced shooters deer cartridge, even with todays bigtime better ammo. Even a 22lr can kill WTail if you can get close enough, especially when you hunt "the long pasture with the white stripe in the middle" so don't ask me how I know that for a fact...
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 07/16/17.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tell him to get the 243. I have had lots of friends ask that same question. Invariably they get the '06 because it will be big enough for elk....which they NEVER get around to hunt. The lightweight '06 kicks like a mule and consequently they don't shoot it enough to be familiar with it when they hunt whitetails. A nice lightweight 243 is something that they can punch paper with and maybe some varmints and they will be happy to use if they go after deer or antelope. If the elk hunt ever happens they can go buy a used '06, there are always lots of them for sale.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I like my Swede, just easier to work up high performance loads with the Creed.

That round, one of the easiest to work with I've had in 50+ years of reloading. It's even easier than the 7mm-07.
Creed and Swede wear Shilen barrels, the 7mm-08, a Hart.

So, no technical advantage, one over the other, just the rounds.

DF

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have answered this several ways for myself. The swede and Bob live here permanently and just added the 243 and 708. Can't screw up but if I had to pick just one I would build a 257 on a nice custom and wouldn't ever feel unprepared

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.