Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright
I stopped at Jay's yesterday. They had a big box of A17 for about $70.00+. I didn't buy it. I want one box to see how it shoots in my gun before I spend more money. I bought one brand that shot 1" groups at 50 yds. I didn't even bother to try to adjust the tuner. Same brand, different bullet shot fine.

Most ammo will shoot 1/2" at 50 yds. and I can use the tuner to make some of them shoot half that size or better.

How big a box of A17 was it?

The only size boxes of A17 that I've seen are 50 count boxes, but only at Cabela's, and 200 count boxes everywhere else.

AFAICS, the primary advantage that the A17 ammo offers a shooter is the flatter trajectory due to the higher than advertised velocity. A useful advantage if the A17 shoots good groups in your rifle. Since it shoots good groups in my Marlin 917s, Savage-Anschutz 141M parts gun, and Savage 93R17BVSS, the increased velocity is useful to me.

It was a 200 count box and expensive enough to make me look for a smaller box to try. I've had one brand of ammo shoot 1" groups at 50 yds. That's too big to even try tuning. Interesting enough, the ammo that didn't shoot, shot very well indeed when I got the same brand with 20 gr. Gamepoint bullets.