Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of entertainment, here is a review of "The Midnight After" by a Rotten Tomatoes audience reviewer, i.e. not a professional movie critic. He says it much more eloquently than I did wink - and I've replaced his full spelling with appropriate * to keep his original intent from being bleeped out..

I don't even know where to begin with this movie if I'm being completely honest. I guess first things first, as there is no description for this movie, I'll start with that. A group of people riding the minibus emerge from a tunnel only to discover that they are the only people left in Hong Kong. The rest of the film deals with that fact and how the group tries to figure out what exactly went wrong with them when they passed under that tunnel

Look, the film doesn't get the rating it did because it was bad. If you look at some of the scenes out of context, then the film isn't really that bad at all. The problem is that you should not come into the film expecting any answers whatsoever. Like absolutely none. None of your questions about what happened will be answered at any point whatsoever. The goal for the characters, after a certain point, becomes to leave where they're at to head to this mountain, where it seems like something massive is about to happen. The problem is the fact that the movie ends just as the characters are, back on the minibus, on the way to the mountain.

Talk about f*cking infuriating. Having to watch an entire movie of red herrings, because that's all this is, for 2 god damn, mother f*cking hours only for them to not actually resolve any of the bullsh*t they try to push as a 'narrative'. Not to mention that they refuse to answer any of your questions, but the movie literally makes no sense whatsoever. Part of me gets the idea to be as vague as humanly possible on the build-up to the climax, the filmmakers want to keep you as much in the dark as the characters themselves are. But to spend 2 hours building up to this and then refusing to, literally, answer any of the questions you set up is so f*cking cheap.

I have no problem with films leaving their endings more open-ended, but in those cases, they do at least try to give you enough answers for you to debate what really happened. There's no such thing here. All you know is that there's some sort of virus. You never find out how it travels, if it's airborne, if it's by having contact with someone with the virus, you don't know what the song Major Tom by David Bowie has to do with anything, the F*kushima nuclear disaster is brought up, there's also a Japanese guy that apparently was a student of one of the passengers in the minibus that wants to help save all of the passengers, there's the phone call to one character by his girlfriend who, apparently, says that they have been missing for six years and it's actually 2018, this character seeing this woman, who was also on the minibus, as sort of a ghostly figure in some scenes. I'm sure I missed other plot points the film tried to get across, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

All of those things the film brings up without actually answering any of them. And this isn't the type of movie that's so interesting that you want to try and figure it out on yourself like The Wall, an excellent Austrian movie. It's just not that interesting of a movie. There's parts at the start that are interesting, like once they find themselves in this situation, I was intrigued by the plot, but I quickly lost hope. I can't say that I predicted that nothing would be resolved, but my subconscious probably wasn't surprised by this at all. The film also suffers from some horrifying tonal shifts. Sometimes the film wants to be horror, sometimes it wants to be comedy, sometimes it wants to be about how human are the real monsters. All of these elements are handled awfully. It's like you're watching 17 films in one.

You know what, now that I think about it, this film was quite bad. But it's also not bad at the same time, it's the strangest thing. The movie tried to be clever, but they wrote themselves into a corner in regards of how to end it. So to avoid having to think of absolutely anything resembling a satisfying ending, or anything resembling an ACTUAL ending, they just refused to give you one. These are 2 hours of my life that I can never get back. Never. And I f*cking hate myself for watching this. Maybe that's a little harsh, but this movie is really annoying. I wonder what would have happened if I knew beforehand that this movie would have no ending. I don't think it would've changed anything. I would have still been as pissed off as I am now. This film was designed to be infuriating, it wasn't designed to be enjoyed. It's as if Fruit Chan decided to just make a movie that would piss off as many people as humanly possible. And I don't know if it worked, since I don't know how many people in Hong Kong watched this, but it certainly pissed me off. And I know I shouldn't let a film annoy me this way, it has too much power over me that way, but I really hated watching this. It's a terrible movie and it's something that no one should ever actually make an effort to watch.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Tommy Lee Jones does NOT act in "junk" films!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
McCabe & Mrs. Miller is another "Oscar Nominated" film that's a stinker.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Look on the bright side. Think how much crappier those movies would have been if TLJ wasn't in them. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Somebody has been to the beach recently......

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
No country for old men

There, I said it. Junk.

Nice one, Dave!

[Linked Image]

John

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
northern dave: Of ALL of the stupid things I have seen posted on this site in the past 15 years your posting here on, is the absolute stupidest!
NO ONE could care less than me what YOU think of a movie - you can like a movie or not, that is your business.
But for you to describe one of the most successful movies of all time and most awarded movies of all time as "junk", well you are just telling everyone how stupid you are!
Not only was this multiple Oscar nominated and awarded movie entertaining to the max it was unpredictable, exceptionally well acted, exceptionally well written and mysterious!
Now some particulars to completely refute your stupid contention:
No Country For Old Men cost $25,000,000.00 (twenty five million!) to make then took in $171,000,000.00 (one hundred and seventy one million!) at the box office that year!
You can probably double that amount of profit (double the profit of $146,000,000.00 - one hundred and forty six million dollars!) since then in rentals, dvd sales and hbo type revenues.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 8 (eight!) Academy Awards winning 4 (four!)!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 4 (four) Golden Globe Awards winning 2 (two!)
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for dozens of other prestigious film awards around the world winning MANY of them.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
For the year 2,007 MORE film critics around the world considered this movie as THE BEST movie of the year than any other movie!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
Tommy Lee Jones gave the best performance of his already amazingly exceptional acting career that year in the movie No Country For Old Men - and that IS saying something!
Again northern dave you are welcome to dislike the movie in question til you are content - but YOU are not allowed to say stupid things and get away with it - at least I won't let you.
I hope someday (before Tommy Lee Jones gets to old!) there will be a sequel to the amazingly original, amazingly successful and wonderful movie - No Country For Old Men.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Jumpin Jehoshaphat!

What a country...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
northern dave: but YOU are not allowed to say stupid things and get away with it - at least I won't let you.

VarmintGuy

So folks aren't allowed to voice their opinion unless it agrees with yours? You must be a democrat, or just a dumba$$ butthurt pansy boy who apparently has his lips up Tommy Lee Jones' a$$.

Had to edit my post because it surely has to be a joke and I just couldn't read the sarcasm in VarmintGuy's post. So, if it was sarcasm VG, I apologize for my harsh tone. If not, well, then,,,,,

Last edited by RyanTX; 07/19/17.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Stop or my mom will shoot. Now there's a good movie.

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The most disappointing recent movie I've watched is a Netflix original staring Brad Pitt titled, The War Machine. Pitt plays the role of a US Army General modeled after Gen. Stanley McChrystal. The story itself is serious and worth telling but Pitt's attempt at trying to copy the speech, physical and facial mannerisms of Gen.McChrystal is so over done that it is almost comical and a distraction.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The last Mad Max movie, I really didn't think it was possible to stuff something up that badly.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We watched "The Accountant" the other night. Very entertaining and I thought quite original.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Just saw "War for the Planet of the Apes"
2 hours and 20 minutes I'll never get back

Any of the "Planet of the Apes" movies are crap.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

The original with Charlton Heston wasn't crap.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Best movie ever...Kung Fu Hustle
21 wins; 42 nominations.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Hustle[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Westside Story was a great winner of awards........
And a horrible movie.........dancing street gangs

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
northern dave: Of ALL of the stupid things I have seen posted on this site in the past 15 years your posting here on, is the absolute stupidest!
NO ONE could care less than me what YOU think of a movie - you can like a movie or not, that is your business.
But for you to describe one of the most successful movies of all time and most awarded movies of all time as "junk", well you are just telling everyone how stupid you are!
Not only was this multiple Oscar nominated and awarded movie entertaining to the max it was unpredictable, exceptionally well acted, exceptionally well written and mysterious!
Now some particulars to completely refute your stupid contention:
No Country For Old Men cost $25,000,000.00 (twenty five million!) to make then took in $171,000,000.00 (one hundred and seventy one million!) at the box office that year!
You can probably double that amount of profit (double the profit of $146,000,000.00 - one hundred and forty six million dollars!) since then in rentals, dvd sales and hbo type revenues.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 8 (eight!) Academy Awards winning 4 (four!)!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 4 (four) Golden Globe Awards winning 2 (two!)
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for dozens of other prestigious film awards around the world winning MANY of them.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
For the year 2,007 MORE film critics around the world considered this movie as THE BEST movie of the year than any other movie!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
Tommy Lee Jones gave the best performance of his already amazingly exceptional acting career that year in the movie No Country For Old Men - and that IS saying something!
Again northern dave you are welcome to dislike the movie in question til you are content - but YOU are not allowed to say stupid things and get away with it - at least I won't let you.
I hope someday (before Tommy Lee Jones gets to old!) there will be a sequel to the amazingly original, amazingly successful and wonderful movie - No Country For Old Men.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I actually think that Heaven's Gate is better. An underappreciated masterpiece that got panned when it debuted and never won anything.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I could not sit through The Hateful Eight

Mike

I turned it off in about a half hour.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

The original with Charlton Heston wasn't crap.

It was crap but it was semi-decent crap,

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Planet of the apes is a training aid for the uprising of liberals, much like zombie movies.

Something clever here.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 46 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,699
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.