-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Gauntlet is a Clint Eastwood disaster. I will never forget the end where 200 officers lining both sides of the street fire into an armored bus. The bus keeps going until it reaches the steps of city hall where the good guys exit it and the officers stop firing. The head bad guy pulls out a gun and shoots the good guys with 100's of police standing next to them. Someone in the audience shouted "Someone call a cop!" and every laughed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gauntlet_(film)

[Linked Image from ]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amityville Horror

The only movie I have walked out on after 15 minutes.

[Linked Image from ]
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I didn't care for "No Country for Old Men".
Wouldn't call it horrible. Certainly now worthy of the hype.
Maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10.
Crappy?

Natural Born Killers, House of 1000 Corpses. I like various genres and can appreciate some weird stuff or attempts that fall short.
Those just sucked.

Also.......the 28 days/weeks later zombie stuff. The dumbest chit the characters did.
Ruined them both. Only redeeming part was the helicopter blender, but once you've seen that..............yup the rest is total crap.

What is it with British film/editors?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Forgot about Dune. Yup, it blew.
So did Waterworld.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Tommy Lee Jones does NOT act in "junk" films!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Touche'.

Someone mentioned Dune. Yeah, what a disappointment.

Pretty much all the recent dystopia genre movies blow. Worse yet - the books they're based on suck as well.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
" ... I hope someday (before Tommy Lee Jones gets too old!) there will be a sequel to the amazingly original, amazingly successful and wonderful movie - No Country For Old Men. ..."

VarmintGuy

I'm not positive but I think a sequel is in the making or there is a plan to make one. Haven't the faintest idea who would be cast.

L.W.

Any sequal WOULD be junk unless written by Cormac McCarthy. The book is why it is so great.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Lots of them. Anymore when we want to watch a movie we find something on TCM it seems.

The only new movie I've seen in the past 6 months that I ENJOYED was Wonder Woman.

THIS !!!

Molan Labe
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've read through most of this thread...interesting, some of the diverse viewpoints here about what movies are good and what are trash. I guess I'd raise the question: What makes a movie good or bad for you?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
I've read through most of this thread...interesting, some of the diverse viewpoints here about what movies are good and what are trash. I guess I'd raise the question: What makes a movie good or bad for you?
My kind of question. wink

I wrote in my first post that a good story well told is the prime requirement. Some genres I generally don't care for - horror and crime thrillers, for instance, although many of those are actually really well made movies - Hitchcock's films are along those lines and they are classics. But a movie needs to be like a good novel or short story in that it leads you through it, foreshadows events that actually happen and wraps up most everything at the end or at least if it's an ambiguous ending the different possibilities have to be realistic. It doesn't have to be big budget, some of the biggest budget movies in recent memory spent all of their money on CGI or actors' salaries and forgot to tell the story.

Aliens was a really entertaining movie, it had a beginning, a middle and ended with the redemption of the main character. Logan was a good recent superhero movie that explored the humanity of the character, not all glitz and ultra-destruction although it certainly had some good action scenes in it. Juno was an oddball little movie about a pregnant teenager, I don't think a lot of people here would like the story line but I like these small indie type movies - that had a great ensemble cast of B level actors who worked together perfectly, plus a great performance by the main character.

In contrast, a bad movie has none of those. The three I mentioned had confusing stories that went nowhere and had few or no redeeming qualities in any of the characters.

Oh, and it never hurts to have nekkid wimmen in it... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
[

The original with Charlton Heston wasn't crap.

It was crap but it was semi-decent crap, [/quote]

Dude, that was ground breaking stuff back in the 1960s. Look at all the elements it tied together. Sci-fi, Space travel, suspended animation, nuclear holocaust, Orwellian Animal Farm. Questions of man existence and future (more D. H. Lawrence than Gus). Had the struggle between science, intellectualism, and totalitarian rule. Had political intrigue and conspiracy and cover up all before Watergate. Original flick was fantastically crafted. Others, not so much.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I thought The Revenant was very disappointng. One of my favorite periods in history reduced to a creepy actor moaning as he crawled through the mud.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Just saw "War for the Planet of the Apes"
2 hours and 20 minutes I'll never get back

Any of the "Planet of the Apes" movies are crap.
Ed

The original with Charlton Heston wasn't crap.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
northern dave: Of ALL of the stupid things I have seen posted on this site in the past 15 years your posting here on, is the absolute stupidest!
NO ONE could care less than me what YOU think of a movie - you can like a movie or not, that is your business.
But for you to describe one of the most successful movies of all time and most awarded movies of all time as "junk", well you are just telling everyone how stupid you are!
Not only was this multiple Oscar nominated and awarded movie entertaining to the max it was unpredictable, exceptionally well acted, exceptionally well written and mysterious!
Now some particulars to completely refute your stupid contention:
No Country For Old Men cost $25,000,000.00 (twenty five million!) to make then took in $171,000,000.00 (one hundred and seventy one million!) at the box office that year!
You can probably double that amount of profit (double the profit of $146,000,000.00 - one hundred and forty six million dollars!) since then in rentals, dvd sales and hbo type revenues.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 8 (eight!) Academy Awards winning 4 (four!)!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 4 (four) Golden Globe Awards winning 2 (two!)
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for dozens of other prestigious film awards around the world winning MANY of them.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
For the year 2,007 MORE film critics around the world considered this movie as THE BEST movie of the year than any other movie!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
Tommy Lee Jones does NOT act in "junk" films!
Tommy Lee Jones gave the best performance of his already amazingly exceptional acting career that year in the movie No Country For Old Men - and that IS saying something!
Again northern dave you are welcome to dislike the movie in question til you are content - but YOU are not allowed to say stupid things and get away with it - at least I won't let you.
I hope someday (before Tommy Lee Jones gets to old!) there will be a sequel to the amazingly original, amazingly successful and wonderful movie - No Country For Old Men.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hilarious!

VG, explain the ending of that movie for us will ya? I've watched it 3 times and it still makes no GD sense whatsoever. Seriously, please explain it!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's a $hitty movie, what's to explain?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You got your Tommy Lee with the ever developing wisdom and a lingering dad issue.

You got your mop head psycho dragging around a slaughter house rod gun and an air tank.

You got your military veteran cowboy that's almost tough enough.

You got your snarky hitman that ain't near tough enough.

You got a whole string of dead folks.

You got your inconclusive $hitty ending that you might choose to pretend to get on a deep level because it's easier to do that than to accept the fact that you just wasted 2 hours watching this crap and they forgot to write the ending.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave I'm not sure if he would have ranted harder if you told him his momma wasn't very good in bed

That was a helluva rant varmint guy

Pass the plate, the brother be preaching tonite😆

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by northern_dave
You got your Tommy Lee with the ever developing wisdom and a lingering dad issue.

You got your mop head psycho dragging around a slaughter house rod gun and an air tank.

You got your military veteran cowboy that's almost tough enough.

You got your snarky hitman that ain't near tough enough.

You got a whole string of dead folks.

You got your inconclusive $hitty ending that you might choose to pretend to get on a deep level because it's easier to do that than to accept the fact that you just wasted 2 hours watching this crap and they forgot to write the ending.

Never read the book myself but it sounds like the movie No Country for Old Men pretty much closely follows the novel by Cormac McCarthy titled the same. It too had mixed reviews --- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Country_for_Old_Men

Literary significance and criticism

The early critical reception of the novel was mixed. William J. Cobb, in a review published in the Houston Chronicle (July 15, 2005), characterizes McCarthy as "our greatest living writer" and describes the book as "a heated story that brands the reader's mind as if seared by a knife heated upon campfire flames".[2] On the other hand, in the July 24, 2005, issue of The New York Times Book Review, the critic and fiction writer Walter Kirn suggests that the novel's plot is "sinister high hokum", but writes admiringly of the prose, describing the author as "a whiz with the joystick, a master-level gamer who changes screens and situations every few pages".[3]

In contrast, literary critic Harold Bloom does not count himself among the admirers of No Country for Old Men, stating that it lacked the quality of McCarthy's best works, particularly Blood Meridian, and compared it to William Faulkner's A Fable. When comparing the lack of "moral argument" in Blood Meridian to the heightened morality present in No Country for Old Men, he considered stating that the "apocalyptic moral judgments" made in No Country for Old Men represented "a sort of falling away on McCarthy's part".[4]

The novel has received a significant amount of critical attention, for example, Lynnea Chapman King, Rick Wallach and Jim Welsh's edited collection No Country for Old Men: From Novel to Film[5] or Raymond Malewitz's "Anything Can Be an Instrument: Misuse Value and Rugged Consumerism in Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men."[6]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Most all movies made after 1965 are crap comparatively.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
We watched "The Accountant" the other night. Very entertaining and I thought quite original.

It was a good one. One of the few.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.