Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
... And that's fine, we certainly don't want people in church who don't want to be there.

Schools would be wonderful places of learning if we could make that a reality in education.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
... And that's fine, we certainly don't want people in church who don't want to be there.

Schools would be wonderful places of learning if we could make that a reality in education.

It's easy, if I go to a church and they are many where it's, sing a few songs, take up the offering, preach and were out I can't stomach it. I've tried. I went to a church for several years that was holy spiritleadthag was the most amazing church. Worship may last the whole time or only play one song or stopithe middle of preaching and have a time of prayer from any and everybody that the spirit lead. Nobody on the planet can convince me that worship is gonna be 30 minutes and preaching is gonna be 1 - 1.5 hours every Sunday for years and it's spirit lead. I feel like a prisoner in a church like that.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can't see how a lover of God and a lover of people wouldn't want to attend a local Church...

So those being a lover of God and People is conditional to attending a local church?
Jesus left Nazareth for Capernaum to get away from narrow village mindsets.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Starman

I can't see how a lover of God and a lover of people wouldn't want to attend a local Church...

So those being a lover of God and People is conditional to attending a local church?

Another pesky truth from God's word:

Hebrews 10:24-25 (NIV)

24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Last edited by JGRaider; 07/24/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Re Paul....... In the first place I don't believe Jesus intended to trust His message/ministry to a "church". According to many scholars, the word that is translated as "church" more accurately means a "fellowship", but that's really beside the point. It seems most unlikely to me that after what the Jews did with their priests and temple that He would want to duplicate that.

Jesus was revealed as the Christ to John the Baptist and then to Peter. Read the verses around those events and especially the words of Jesus following Peter's confession.Those along with other statements lead me to believe that His "church" was founded on the Father's ability to reveal Jesus as the Christ to individuals.

Paul had a profound Spiritual Experience on the Damascus road. If you've ever had a similar experience, you know they don't come across like a movie or TV show.You get a central "message" and your mind fills in details usually with a big assist from the ego. I don't doubt that Paul's central message was to carry the Gospel to the Gentiles, the fact that he succeeded in such a dramatic fashion lends credibility to that.

But..... being an extremely legalistic Jew, I doubt he could conceive of a simple Fellowship with no preachers, deacons,elders and such.

We will never know what Christianity would be today if Paul's letters had not been counted as Scripture. It's for damn sure there would not be as much to argue about.

I doubt any human could ever make me see Saint Paul as anything but a man who loved God but took himself too seriously. There's a lot around like that.

You're absolutely right when you point out that all truth is God's truth. Whether it's a direct quote from Scripture or not, it carries His authority. This is why we recite creeds. They're "condensed truth".

I have always figured that God, being who He is, oversaw the formation of the canon. He oversaw all of human history up to that point and since, what makes Pauline epistles and the dark forces who would use them to exert influence away from Christ so much more powerful than all the other forces in the universe?

I have also always belived that faith has a great deal to do with submission. The only reason that I would choose to see Paul excluded is because something didn't sit right with me. But who the heck am I? One who found his life by lying it before a God who owned it all along.

But my submission in faith isn't just to God but to others in community. I like what Bill Wilson wrote in twelve steps & twelve traditions with regard to step 11 and our penchant to imagine God's voice to say what suits us, and the resulting need for submission to a community. I've found that to be true in my life. More often than not the voice of God I like best is the one that happens to agree with me.

One of the biggest reasons I believe Christianity to be true is it doesn't appeal to me, nor apologize for not appealing to me.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been a friend of Bill W for over thirty two years and getting together with a regular bunch of his other friends a couple times a week fits me better than the churches I've attended.

It's a lot more spiritually rewarding to spend an hour with everyone talking about how God changed and is still changing their lives than for a preacher to read a couple bible verses and then preach on it for thirty minutes.

When I turned my will and my life over to God I learned to be open minded about spiritual matters and I learned that God is a lot bigger than the Bible makes Him out to be and that Paul's original sin theology makes Jesus a lot smaller than He really is.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
curdog
What exactly do you mean by Paul's original sin theology?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by 12344mag

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon"....

The same can be said for most vaginas.

Run across some loud ones?

Mostly on here.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon"....

The same can be said for most vaginas.

I like most vagina's, but alas I am only allowed to listen to one..........

Is a scratch and sniff legal?

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Oh heck, not that pesky Bible crap again. I mean, i believe in Him and He said I am A Ok. I dont need to know about these things He sent in a message to me? Do I ? He should have special rules and requirements for ME because ....

1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons (demons, arent they, Satans helpers). 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry (huh? No way, how we supposed to multiply?Oh, His rules werent for everyone, like preists) and order them to abstain from certain foods (baggon, steak, cattle-on Fri) which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

6If you point these things out to the brothers and sisters,a you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly...

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/24/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
curdog
What exactly do you mean by Paul's original sin theology?

Paul preaches "Christ, and Him crucified". As if dying on a cross was all Jesus was about.

That's the short version. To go into it further would mean answering to a host of things that I would not be saying, but the Pharisees would hear.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The birth and death of Christ are my most important truth as a Christian. Through His death on the cross, Jesus Christ demonstrated the love of God and ushered in a new covenant where we can have forgiveness and new life. The finality of the cross has great meaning for me.

Jesus' death and resurrection form the pattern by which we die to our old selves and experience rebirth in the Spirit.

Jesus is fully God, and there is salvation in no other person (Acts 4:10-12). The atonement of Christ was finished at the cross.

To minimize the cross is to minimize the deity of Christ. Jesus is God the Son, Jesus Almighty God. His blood on the cross is sufficient to guarantee one's salvation.

For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time. Hebrews 10:10

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

My 'lapsed' Roman catholic parents and grandparents were not regular church goers , yet they conducted themselves much like good samaritans
throughout their lives assisting people in the community less fortunate than them, including those shunned and condemned by society like prostitutes
and single mothers or just families in gross disarray . They really had no time or inclination to spend sundays grovelling to a priest or mix with all the
community church asslicker judgemental two faced gossip types those groups consisted of, nor did they put money in the church plate.....instead they
preferred to just go about actually demonstrating christian values in day to day life and spent their money and donated needy goods to help people
directly as they saw fit. and they didn't care or ask what religion or beliefs those recipients had or point out their faults.

That is the way they conducted their lives before and throughout WW2 in Europe, as well as after as migrants.
Because they owned local businesses, they were very much already in touch with what was going on in the
community through face to face interaction with variety of people. Word also became established through the
community that they were the people one was able to approach to see if some form of assistance was possible.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by seal_billy

It's easy, if I go to a church and they are many where it's, sing a few songs, take up the offering, preach and were out I can't stomach it. I've tried. I went to a church for several years that was holy spiritleadthag was the most amazing church. Worship may last the whole time or only play one song or stopithe middle of preaching and have a time of prayer from any and everybody that the spirit lead. Nobody on the planet can convince me that worship is gonna be 30 minutes and preaching is gonna be 1 - 1.5 hours every Sunday for years and it's spirit lead. I feel like a prisoner in a church like that.

I'm not much for preaching either. Worship, yes. Hanging out with church folks, yes. Lots of folks with problems attend my church. I like it that way.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
not everyone who walks amongst us appreciates just how much of a revolutionary Jesus was. apparently he despised the status quo, and wanted massive, and constructive change.

nowadays, if we were fortunate enough to have him walk amongst us in the post-modern era, he'd still likely be fighting against the status quo as it now exists, and would be pushing for constructive change.

nothing wrong with having a few revolutionaries, but to have too many could be equal to having too many cooks in the kitchen.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Paul preaches "Christ, and Him crucified". As if dying on a cross was all Jesus was about.
Not all, to be sure, but most definitely the main event.

You think not?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickyD
Not all, to be sure, but most definitely the main event.

You think not?

he attempted to bring change to the status quo. the majority (the Jews) had him kilt by their oppressor, the romans. nowadays, things have changed. his vision for change has occurred to an extent, but not yet enough. the jews represent some 11 million people now, scattered all over, and then occupying a small sliver of land that once belonged to the philistines, who were allies of the Greeks.

in short, his being kilt by the opposition was god's will, afterall. we all know god will not and shall not be denied. so, his killing was according to plan. lot's of stories have emerged in the last 2000 years, and more to come, i suspect.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by victoro
"John said:" God is love."

That right. God loves you but if you don't love him back he'll burn you in hell for eternity. It's your choice. God is like the egotistical guy that tells his girlfriend that he loves her but if she doesn't love him back he'll blow her brains out. It's her choice though so if she choses not to love him back it's her fault if she gets her brains blown out.

Perfect analogy except that the boyfriend didn't create the girlfriend. Nor is the boyfriend the objective standard against which all is judged.

But ya know... other than that is a perfect analogy. crazy

A God didn't create the boyfriend nor is a God going to judge anybody. Gods and all the fairly tales about them are created in men's minds. Just because some men wrote their delusions down doesn't make those delusions true. When I was working if you had a problem employee that needed to be fired you had to carefully document the reasons for firing them. If you didn't carefully document the incidents that led to you firing them the union would be able to overturn the firing. Even the union believed that writing down the infractions made them "the gospel". I remember as a young kid hearing the bible being discussed (and later on reading it myself) and thinking that this was some crazy stuff and how could anybody believe it. I figured that as I got older maybe it would might begin to make some sense but the exact opposite happened. Do you believe your God loves all living things or just humans that believe in him?

Last edited by victoro; 07/25/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

My 'lapsed' Roman catholic parents and grandparents were not regular church goers , yet they conducted themselves much like good samaritans
throughout their lives assisting people in the community less fortunate than them, including those shunned and condemned by society like prostitutes
and single mothers or just families in gross disarray . They really had no time or inclination to spend sundays grovelling to a priest or mix with all the
community church asslicker judgemental two faced gossip types those groups consisted of, nor did they put money in the church plate.....instead they
preferred to just go about actually demonstrating christian values in day to day life and spent their money and donated needy goods to help people
directly as they saw fit. and they didn't care or ask what religion or beliefs those recipients had or point out their faults.

That is the way they conducted their lives before and throughout WW2 in Europe, as well as after as migrants.
Because they owned local businesses, they were very much already in touch with what was going on in the
community through face to face interaction with variety of people. Word also became established through the
community that they were the people one was able to approach to see if some form of assistance was possible.

Sound like great people. We need more like that. Works won't get you into heaven though, unfortunately.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by efw
"John said:" God is love."

That right. God loves you but if you don't love him back he'll burn you in hell for eternity. It's your choice. God is like the egotistical guy that tells his girlfriend that he loves her but if she doesn't love him back he'll blow her brains out. It's her choice though so if she choses not to love him back it's her fault if she gets her brains blown out.

Perfect analogy except that the boyfriend didn't create the girlfriend. Nor is the boyfriend the objective standard against which all is judged.

But ya know... other than that is a perfect analogy. crazy

A God didn't create the boyfriend nor is a God going to judge anybody. God's and all the fairly tales about them are created in men's minds. Just because some men wrote their delusions down doesn't make those delusions true. When I was working if you had a problem employee that needed to fired you had to carefully document the reasons for firing them. If you didn't carefully document the incidents that led to you firing them the union would be able to overturn the firing. Even the union believed that writing down the infractions made them "the gospel". I remember as a young kid hearing the bible being discussed (and later on reading it myself) and thinking that this was some crazy stuff and how could anybody believe it. I figured that as I got older maybe it would might begin to make some sense but the exact opposite happened. Do you believe your God loves all living things or just humans that believe in him?

Some day we'll see won't we? You will stand before your maker. Not believing it doesn't make it so.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,825
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.