Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am enjoying this book, may be too general for the experts, but gives a nice overview, and plenty of individual details. This is vol. 2 of a pacific war trilogy. I haven't read volume 1 yet .

https://www.amazon.com/Conquering-T...ide+war+in+the+pacific+islands+1942-1944

New York TimesBestseller “A beautiful blend of history and prose and proves again Mr. Toll’s mastery of the naval-war narrative.” ―Wall Street Journal

This masterful history encompasses the heart of the Pacific War―the period between mid-1942 and mid-1944―when parallel Allied counteroffensives north and south of the equator washed over Japan's far-flung island empire like a "conquering tide," concluding with Japan's irreversible strategic defeat in the Marianas. It was the largest, bloodiest, most costly, most technically innovative and logistically complicated amphibious war in history, and it fostered bitter interservice rivalries, leaving wounds that even victory could not heal.

Often overlooked, these are the years and fights that decided the Pacific War. Ian W. Toll's battle scenes―in the air, at sea, and in the jungles―are simply riveting. He also takes the reader into the wartime councils in Washington and Tokyo where politics and strategy often collided, and into the struggle to mobilize wartime production, which was the secret of Allied victory. Brilliantly researched, the narrative is propelled and colored by firsthand accounts―letters, diaries, debriefings, and memoirs―that are the raw material of the telling details, shrewd judgment, and penetrating insight of this magisterial history.

This volume―continuing the "marvelously readable dramatic narrative" (San Francisco Chronicle) of Pacific Crucible―marks the second installment of the Pacific War Trilogy, which will stand as the first history of the entire Pacific War to be published in at least twenty-five years.
32 pages of illustrations

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB4

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
While you are at it I would recommend, "Neptunes Inferno". I am going to read the book you recommended.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just finished Pacific Crucible. Looked at both sides in the lead up to Pearl and thru Midway. Highly recommended. And now I have more of his stuff to look forward to.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We learned a lot during that War. Are we forgetting all those bloody costly lessons? What if we had started a naval build up during the depths of the Depression? What ifs can drive one crazy.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you just cost me some more money, downloaded the first book on kindle.
Tell you a short story. Through the years i have had many clients tour the pacific. In a number of cases i had them bring me home little bottles of beach sand. It is different from beach to beach. This also included hiroshima. Guam, the gilberts, etc. This was for my brother in law.
he enlisted in the navy at age 16, was a coxain on a higgins landing boat, saw a lot of beach landings. I promised him when he died i was going to scatter that sand over his grave and some good tequila. He laughed and said don't waste good booze.
Well, he did die and was buried in a v.a. cemetary. Some years later on memorial day i fulfilled that promise. Scattered the sand, wife and i had a hit of the tequila, poured the rest over his grave. Then we took the goldwing up to wickenburg to visit her uncle, killed during the invasion of leyte. While she was looking for the grave, i glanced over in the dirt near my bike and saw some coins lost in the sand. They added up to the plot/row number of my brother in laws grave in the v.a. cemetary. That's when i got the shakes. He was paying me back for that tequila.
I have a number of things from the pacific, a number of rifles, one of which belonged to a member of mcarthur's staff, several knives, one carried all over the south pacific, and one at pearl when it was attacked.
I had a bunch of clients too, I figured i had a client in the air, on the ocean,and on the beach at okinawa. I wish i had recorded the conversations.
We had my military jeep in the parade in prescott over the fourth. thought seriously, maybe next year God Willing, of putting the rifles on the
jeep for the parade. Along with a field jacket and paratrooper boots worn at okinawa. Probably not important to any but me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
We learned a lot during that War. Are we forgetting all those bloody costly lessons? What if we had started a naval build up during the depths of the Depression? What ifs can drive one crazy.

Probably a good thing that didn't happen, as we would have built too many battleships (the "Gun Club" still ran things in the Navy back then) and not enough carriers.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have read vol 1, but not vol 2 yet.

His book "Six Frigates" is a pretty good read, and that's why I bought vol 1 of his book on the pacific war.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Probably a good thing that didn't happen, as we would have built too many battleships (the "Gun Club" still ran things in the Navy back then) and not enough carriers.

...What ifs again...what if we had matched Japan carrier for carrier? What if we had had just as many carriers as they did before Pearl? They were worried about our two they could not find.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If I remember right during 41' Japan had 10 of various sizes with something like a total of 28 during the war... the U.S. had 7 with another 11 under rapid construction, and something like 100 of all types and a few under construction that were scraped at wars end.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve99
Just finished Pacific Crucible. Looked at both sides in the lead up to Pearl and thru Midway. Highly recommended. And now I have more of his stuff to look forward to.

Pacific Crucible is next for me. I'm reading them out of order! Same author as "Conquering Tide" .

"The fleet at flood tide : America at total war in the Pacific, 1944-1945" and "Neptune's Inferno", are by Hornfischer, so I will have to check those out. Got my winter reading planned out!

Although these books pull me in and I read them quickly. I remember my Dad reading a paperback edition of "The Big E: The Story of the USS Enterprise" 50 years ago. which would have been only twenty some years after the war.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
read volume one, starting two today. one has a lot of stuff in it i didn't know, surprise right? A lot of the political build up in japan, infighting between army and navy. Midway could have gone a LOT different if it wasn't for a few individual acts.
It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the war, but it was not a sure thing.
At the beginning, japanese equipment, tactics, and leadership were just better.
but we learned quick.
Interesting the discussion on admiral King which you mostly hear nothing about, and the conflict between codebreakers in Ha. and washington.

I picked up another one, thank you kindle, about sub warfare in the coldwar period, blind man's bluff. Recommended to me by someone in the intelligence gathering area.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
kind of addictive, in a good way, once you start reading them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Greyghost
If I remember right during 41' Japan had 10 of various sizes with something like a total of 28 during the war... the U.S. had 7 with another 11 under rapid construction, and something like 100 of all types and a few under construction that were scraped at wars end.

Phil

Just did a quick look up.
"The Imperial Japanese Navy in World War II was the second most powerful navy in the Pacific War in World War II. It was the third largest navy in the world. During the first years of the war the Imperial Japanese Navy dominated the Western Pacific"
They were still building battleships including the largest ever. Had 12 in 1941 with 21 fleet carriers and 4 light carriers

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there is some interesting stuff in the second book concerning the japanese coming down the straight off salvo island and the night battle. McCains father, Admiral Mccain was responsible for long range monitoring in a certain area, by pby's. Bad weather prevended them from flying and he didn't report they had flown. So assumption no japanese, that is exactly where they came through.
There was fault enough to go around but another quick story.
i had a book on my desk on the battle of salvo island, older gentlyman came in on some business, saw the book and started crying. After he calmed down he told me the story, he had been on a destroyer, jap cruiser cut it in half. He spent over a week a few hundred yards off the canal, no ship would slow to pick them up fears of artillery fire, afraid to land, japanese army.
they finally had no choice but to float in where they got lucky and met american troops. Some weeks on the canal before getting back to the fleet.
it's kind of something to read these books given conversations with quite a few that actually fought the battles.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

researching quadalcanal
which led me to a website where you can punch in a name, and locate a person if buried in a war cemetary. I found two weddle's in the normandy cemetary. Both were in the 9th division, one from kentucky, one from virginia. Both killed on 7/25/44. So I looked up 7/25/44, operation cobra, where on that day the 8th air force bombed our own men. I knew about the bombing, but didn't know about the above two. It makes you wonder. I am sure they were distant relatives, but the odds of that happening on the same day? I knew about operation cobra, but i didn't know till today.
I have finished the second book, everybit as good as the first book.

B
B
I also read Ian Tolls trilogy backwards as well. The Conquering Tide then Pacific Crucible. Both very good reads. Neptune's Inferno by James Hornfischer was very good as well. That book really gets into the weeds about the fighting off Guadalcanal and the battles in The Slot as well. I've been meaning to pickup The Fleet at Flood Tide too.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the second book mentions machine gunning shipwrecked japanese sailors.
interesting to me, as that is confirmation of what my brother in law told me that he saw during his time in the pacific.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
the second book mentions machine gunning shipwrecked japanese sailors.
interesting to me, as that is confirmation of what my brother in law told me that he saw during his time in the pacific.

Can't remember the name of the Sub but it was very successful early in the war. It's commander invited crew members to come on deck and shoot Jap survivors with Thompson SMGs. Pentagon couldn't decide how to handle it. Japs solved their problem by sinking the sub.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Neptune's Inferno is a very good read, as well as The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Another I really enjoyed was With the Old Breed at Pelilu and Okinawa.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got Pacific Crucible...looking forward to reading it.

Sycamore

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (12344mag, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 73 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,823
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.