Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shoot buck #1 personally. Nice pics!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few of my own pics

[Linked Image]

This one is a good symmetrical 3-point on both sides that I have seldom seen.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Alamosa; 08/04/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few that I saved from professional photographers or other hunters

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Holy ****, that last one looks photoshopped it's so big.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Holy ****, that last one looks photoshopped it's so big.

Maybe it is. I couldn't believe it either - that's why I saved it.
The thing is though that his body is enormous also.

The buck in the gas rig photo has only slightly smaller horns and a huge body as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's an Ibex, not a pronghorn...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

One thing about buck antelope - they can be curious and sometimes dangerous. Some years back we had a big buck make a fuss about 50 yards away, stomping and snorting. Apparently we were infringing on his space. Last year I had a buck charge me from about 50 yards away. I was so focused on a doe (in a different direction), he nearly got me. I hear Daughter #1 calling my name, which irritated me and I ignored it. She was in the truck a few feet behind me and finally honked the horn. When I looked back over my left shoulder the buck was about a truck length away, head down with the nose almost touching the ground and headed straight for me full speed. As I spun around it took a sharp right and went on the other side of the truck. Had Daughter not honked things would have gotten real interesting.

Good luck on your hunt.

Oh for [bleep]'s sake.

Jeff, whatever you do, don't listen to this idiot. The "danger" from an antelope is right there with the danger of getting your wiener stuck in a ceiling fan.

Dangerous game! grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image]

Enjoy your hunt! Pronghorn are wonderful to hunt, and wonderful to eat!

Regards, Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Garden City the Tractor Supply has some of the local guys shoulder mounts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That Greg Shaw has the #4 largest muzzleloader KS pronghorn

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

Forgot to mention (and maybe you're already planning this) but carry a small tarp or two with you in your pack. They don't weigh anything and make for a nice clean spot to quickly skin and quarter out the goat.

I'll second the motion of not overthinking or planning things. Be out at first light (rising sun makes them easier to spot) and be willing to hike. Nice thing about pronghorns is they're an easy pack out...

I hunt with just 10x binos and have never felt wanting. As an aside, last time I drew (we don't get preference points so it's poor odds every year) I took out the Tikka (.223) the week before opener to make sure I was ready for anything. Shot at ~ 600 yds and was well under MOA. Felt good and went out, spotted one, crawled a bit to a cliff face and popped one....at 156 yds! crazy

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One thing about buck antelope - they can be curious and sometimes dangerous. Some years back we had a big buck make a fuss about 50 yards away, stomping and snorting. Apparently we were infringing on his space. Last year I had a buck charge me from about 50 yards away. I was so focused on a doe (in a different direction), he nearly got me. I hear Daughter #1 calling my name, which irritated me and I ignored it. She was in the truck a few feet behind me and finally honked the horn. When I looked back over my left shoulder the buck was about a truck length away, head down with the nose almost touching the ground and headed straight for me full speed. As I spun around it took a sharp right and went on the other side of the truck. Had Daughter not honked things would have gotten real interesting.

Good luck on your hunt.

Oh for [bleep]'s sake.

Jeff, whatever you do, don't listen to this idiot. The "danger" from an antelope is right there with the danger of getting your wiener stuck in a ceiling fan.

If anyone here is an idiot it is you. The only reason I didn't get run over by that buck, horns first, is because my daughter honked the truck horn.

If you're willing to put yourself in my place and take the horns in the back at full speed, we'll see if they can be dangerous or not. And if you emerge unscathed, I'll concede your point.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/04/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been following this thread with great interest. I also drew my first Oregon antelope tag this year, I drew the Juniper unit. Scouted the last five days, then came home to regroup and go back next Wednesday. It hot out there, we had 103 on Monday and 100 on Tuesday. Take your own shade for camp. I don't know how far the nearest ice is where you hunt. It's 64 miles rocky slow road for me. Six hours to travel 64 miles! I'll be taking dry ice. One chest with thirty pounds. Then five pounds in each other chest! The thirty is to replenish the food chests and for the antelope! The dry ice plant has offered me the use of one of their large coolers, I may take them up on the offer! Good luck with your hunt!!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good luck to all of you😎 Hunting antelope in Oregon is quite different than my area of Wy.. Best wishes👍

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heym06
I have been following this thread with great interest. I also drew my first Oregon antelope tag this year, I drew the Juniper unit. Scouted the last five days, then came home to regroup and go back next Wednesday. It hot out there, we had 103 on Monday and 100 on Tuesday. Take your own shade for camp. I don't know how far the nearest ice is where you hunt. It's 64 miles rocky slow road for me. Six hours to travel 64 miles! I'll be taking dry ice. One chest with thirty pounds. Then five pounds in each other chest! The thirty is to replenish the food chests and for the antelope! The dry ice plant has offered me the use of one of their large coolers, I may take them up on the offer! Good luck with your hunt!!

We tried dry ice one year and didn't care for it. Yes, the antelope froze in places, but that isn't really necessary. We keep ours on regular ice (mostly cubes, not block, as it fits in the coolers better) for up to 3 days before they get to the processor in Denver. No different than hanging in a meat locker.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Heym06:
Hope that Cinder Butte fire stays out of your unit. Yes, this past weekend was an absolutely brutal time to be out. Best of luck,

OkieDokie
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You sure don't want dry ice in an enclosed vehicle

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good luck on your hunt.

Oh for [bleep]'s sake.

Only in Coyote Hunters world are antelope considered dangerous game.

My guess would be he looks goofy and they just want to see him up close.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06

Good luck to you! Sounds like you are making your own luck. smile

Just due to some sort of statistical blip I have rifle hunted Steens for deer 3 times in the last 5 years, plus I've been there a bunch of other times starting in the late 80's, so I'm not stressing that I haven't scouted it. In fact I'm not stressing at all. In fact you guys need to stop telling me not to overthink this; I'm in danger of underthinking the dang thing <grin>. I figure, I'll get there, set up camp... figure it out. No hurry really, other than, I guess, that my block ice is all melting away in my coolers every day and will need resupply if I'm still hunting, every few days. Cross that bridge if/when I get to it I'll do a little shooting when I get there. I know just the spot, I checked things at 400 yards last fall there, perfect setup, can shoot from the bed of my truck at light spots on dark boulders with a hill behind them. Curious about the mirage, and my ammo at that altitude/temp. Then I guess we'll see what happens. Just trying like heck to throw the hook of my business entanglements so I can truly go for it- that's the work of the moment, haha... grinding hard on some very engaging work.... as I say, I'm in danger of woefully UNDERthinking this bad boy! grin 'Cause it's right around the corner.

Some years ago I took the time to extend the frame of my wall tent to have a covered awning area. At the time, the thinking was another covered kitchen area for our elk camp, where we got hammered by snow pretty good for a few years straight there. But now iit's sounding nice and shady! Maybe I'll retire up there! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't know why I pay for NetFlix when I have this place.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (22250rem, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 160user, 12savage, 53 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,299
Posts18,505,349
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.