-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 3 Excel spreadsheets for outdoor trips. One is for camping, one is for hunting from the camper, and one is for llama packing. They list everything that I could possibly want on a trip, followed by 2 check boxes. I print out the appropriate one, check each item that I want for the trip, and start loading, checking off each item as its loaded. It's greatly reduced my incidences of getting to camp without ammo or toilet paper.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just about always start with firearms, ammo, licenses, tags, and knives. Everything else is considered gravy.

Not my screw up, but one of our party of 6 left the silverware at home for a 7-day white water fishing trip. At every meal, the comment was "this sure looks good, I wish I could eat it." That one will follow him to his grave.

Another was a 12-day hunting trip, and we neglected to include our menu. Ate good on the front end and poorly on the back.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
I just about always start with firearms, ammo, licenses, tags, and knives. Everything else is considered gravy.

That's how I start, too. Then things like tire chains, tow chains, tools, cash and other things that could keep you on the road or help get you back on it. (A friend had a $1,000 tow charge off a pass I had emphatically told him NOT to take.)

Cameras and other non-necessities were always way down the list, and way below clean underwear. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some desert roads can get really nasty with a lot less rain than you might think possible. They aren't really roads with a solid bed. They're just places where vehicles have beaten out the plant life.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We have the same thing.....minus the llama list. Helped a ton.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have 3 Excel spreadsheets for outdoor trips. One is for camping, one is for hunting from the camper, and one is for llama packing. They list everything that I could possibly want on a trip, followed by 2 check boxes. I print out the appropriate one, check each item that I want for the trip, and start loading, checking off each item as its loaded. It's greatly reduced my incidences of getting to camp without ammo or toilet paper.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

(A friend had a $1,000 tow charge off a pass I had emphatically told him NOT to take.)

Years ago, had a friend you could not win with. He always got stuck.

He would always ask if I thought he could make it. If I would say no, he'd get stuck, and he'd blame me for daring him.

Next time I'd say 'yes, but.......'. Then, it was 'you told me we could make it'.

I always saw walking a little further to the hunting spot as no big deal, compared to walking somewhere to call a wrecker.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Wyoming260, Steens mountain in Oregon. My buddy has hunted them twice there; one of those times they were up high (9k or so) on the mountain. That'd be ok with me! But they are often down lower in the sage and juniper, I'm told.

that is some beautiful country down there. good luck!

If hunting off of roads where vehicle access not too far I have used this to get animal skinned, deboned and on ice quick.

My buddy and I on a WY meat hunt got it down to 25 min per animal from shot to meat in the iced cooler.

https://jet.com/product/detail/5d62681301644143b8420e1d4d1863fb?jcmp=pla:ggl:wm_dur_gen_sporting_goods_a1:sporting_goods_hunting_hunting_accessories_a1:na:PLA_876534655_44326999615_pla-335670434297:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=876534655&is_retargeting=true&clickid=77cc19f9-907e-436b-a351-e7707d9831d4

not too difficult to weld one up yourself

Last edited by ribka; 08/09/17.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks ribka! Getting gear ready & packed up now, leave tomorrow early.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks ribka! Getting gear ready & packed up now, leave tomorrow early.

Good luck! Take some photos. Give us the story of how it goes.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Will do! I'm bringing my fishing gear, and my old Martin guitar. I'm making a vacation of it!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jeff,
don't forget the canna.

Turn on, tune in, drop out.

Timothy Leary

Have Dog

Will Travel

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, Lord only knows what's rattling around inside that old Martin...... I bought her in the mid 80's. Probably best not to cross international borders with it. whistle

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
On the road. Weird energy. Whatever the opposite of "mad at 'em " is, is where I'm at. I did look at some pix last night so now I can tell the boys from the girls. smile

Saying goodbye to my dog- who really really wanted to go camping- gave me these powerful flashbacks of my Lab Lucy we put down a couple years ago. A salute to her bravery, dignity, and love of the hunt. To Lucy!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dogs always make it real clear that they want to go hunting.
I bring mine those occasions when the situation permits it.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Always wanted to chase chukar with Lucy at Steens, but in her prime I had two jobs and two young kids... not much free time. So it was grouse, quail, and pheasant. By the time my life was opening back up she was pretty broken down. And chukars are not an old dog's game. frown

Almost to Burns. Thinkin of you 1Minute!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You should just be home in time for Burning Man...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
On the road.

Please drive safe.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Went to Plan B on the camping spot.

[Linked Image]

It's all good. smile

Just doing a light camp tonight; might relocate pending tomorrow's scouting. Stormy! Wind, lightning, occasional scattered big drops.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to Plan B on the camping spot.

It's all good. smile

Just doing a light camp tonight; might relocate pending tomorrow's scouting. Stormy! Wind, lightning, occasional scattered big drops.

Lightning?
Stay low.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Today was day 2... I'm making progress here. Got into 2 small herds today. One had no buck at all, the other had a buck even I was hesitating on <grin> but as I was trying to get closer, they saved me the decision by vanishing.

I can say that the reports of their great vision are not exaggerated. WOW!

Gassing up in French Glen just now, was talking to a hunter. He said he's hunted them many times in Wyoming, but this was the first time in Oregon, and he said with a bemused chuckle, "this is completely different!" He hadn't seen anything. Can't confirm or deny that, Just passing it along.

Having a great time getting to know these critters, especially now that I'm figuring out where they are! Yesterday, opening day, I saw 8 doe deer, 3 buck deer, 3 coyotes, and at least 10 sage grouse, a few at heart-attack flush distances. They've got their own little evasive pattern when they fly, eh? Different than the ruffs and blues I've flushed/killed. On one of the sage grouse flushes, a triple, a hawk came in right over me and tried to grab it midair. That was cool to see. But anyway, saw no 'lopes on opener.

Well enough of this I got to get gear ready for tomorrow etc. It's cooled down and tomorrow is a big day. I know where they are, nobody else seems to be hunting that area other than desultory road-hunting...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (BALLISTIK, 5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, auk1124, 14 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,871
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.