Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Which one, in 7.62x39, is most accurate with Russian steeel case ammo. Specifically soft point or hollow point loads that actually show good expansion in gel. Like Tula 154gr SP, 124gr SP or 124gr HP 8M3.

I'm looking for a reasonably accurate, cheap to shoot range toy that could also be used in a pinch for deer or hogs to 150 yards.

Quality wise, I've read that a good CZ 527 is slightly better than a Howa. But that a bad CZ 527 is MUCH worse than a Howa. So I'd only buy a CZ that I could handle and examine first

Brazos Jack

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have four 527s, none in Russian Short, though. All four shoot well enough to shoot small varmints with. I have heard of issues with stocks splitting on some 527s, IF the bedding is off a bit. I have no reason to doubt that, as the action is quite small for that cartridge.

I've owned four Howa rifles, too, though none were in the new Mini. All of them were more than adequate for killing deer or prairie dogs (the .223). Frankly, I like the CZs better, but in this case, I think the Howa is a bit stouter, as the action is shortened, but not reduced in diameter.

Both are excellent rifles, but I think the CZs are bit more refined.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Joe Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Had my 527 carbine in the Ruski short since 2004 and it has been most satisfactory.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
not a gun writer, and I haven't shot the Howa.
But here is my first time taking out the 527 to sight it in.
There are 2 groups on here at 100 yards with cheap ammo.
I didn't want to walk back to tape over the first. but you can see the difference with 4 clicks up and 4 clicks to the left.
also. you can use factory tikka rings on the 527 instead of getting CZ rings which are way too high.
[Linked Image]
Here are the rings. CZ vs tikka rings.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dre; 08/14/17. Reason: Add pics

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Another candidate is the Zastava 799 mini mauser. My .223 is very accurate, but I haven't owned one in 7.62x39. Zastava should know their way around the 7.62x39

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Comparing CZ with Howa is like comparing BMW and Kia. Both will get you there but one is more reliable and has better engineering and craftsmanship and the other is cheapo Asian make. The choice is yours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One problem I had with the Howa Mini was that the mag release was placed such that it was very easy to drop the mag by mistake. I did exactly that the first time I picked it up and later found that replacement mags were not available here in Canada. I promptly sold it and bought a CZ. The CZ has a better mag release but a hinged BDL style would be a better system for both rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
One problem I had with the Howa Mini was that the mag release was placed such that it was very easy to drop the mag by mistake. I did exactly that the first time I picked it up and later found that replacement mags were not available here in Canada. I promptly sold it and bought a CZ. The CZ has a better mag release but a hinged BDL style would be a better system for both rifles.

Been waiting and hoping for either a floorplate version or even a blind box version of the Howa, but suspect it's vaporware. DMs simplify production and cut costs, and I suspect are more popular with tactically-minded modern shooters. The CZ is better looking and the mags are nice metal ones, not plastic. The Howa's action is forged, a rarity these days, but I'm not wild about the bottom "metal", which of course, ain't. The hinged floorplate on full-sized ones is AL-U-minny-um, but of good quality and functions perfectly.

Also been thinking about a 527 in 6.5 Grendel, but have only seen one on GB, and my local guy checked his suppliers to no avail. The 7.62 would be okay for deer, but 6.5 reaches out a bit better. They'll show eventually.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Don't have a Howa but did considerate it in 6.5 Grendel......but got a CZ 6.5 Grendel instead (they released a few to select distributors in July and the next batch should be released soon - according to CZ). So far I really like the rifle and the cartridge - however, like most, I do not like the extended magazine but the accuracy and weight are hard to beat FWIW.

PennDog

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup, been looking at those a good bit myself, but have finally (I hope) learned to avoid settling for stuff that's almost what I want, and then sending them down the road when I get second thoughts. One of the mini-mausers would do, but the odds on the wood lottery on those are pretty stiff.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Because of my experiences with this one thus far I'm actually thinking of getting another one for a starter gun for my great nephew.....the 6.5 Grendel seems just about perfect in the 527 and for a deer/varmit rifle!

PennDog

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Howa.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
Comparing CZ with Howa is like comparing BMW and Kia. Both will get you there but one is more reliable and has better engineering and craftsmanship and the other is cheapo Asian make. The choice is yours.

Calling Howa rifles cheap Asian made? Sounds like someone who has never owned a Howa.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by deflave
Howa.

Dave

Howa ya doin', you buttfaaaahkinfoolio??

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd prefer the CZ, but I don't have one of their 527s...

that being said, I have three of the Howa Minis....

and there are certainly NO Flies on that rifle at all...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
N
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62X39. It is extremely accurate (well under 1 MOA) with the 122 gr HP wolf steel case ammo. Next in line in accuracy is with 123 SP Russian ammo. Poorest accuracy (about 2.5 MOA) is with Wolf steel case 154 gr. SP.

I have killed several medium sized deer with the Wolf 154 grain SP ammo. Died quite quickly. No shots were beyond 125 yards or so. I shot them from tree stands where I normally archery hunt.

The only thing I dont like about my 527 is the box magazine is a single stack which extends below the stock. It extends out at exactly the balance point of the rifle, which makes it somewhat unhandy to carry in one hand. This is a shame, as it is a very light handy rifle, with the fixed 4X Weaver I have on it.

Best,

Kevin

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by NDShooter63
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62X39. It is extremely accurate (well under 1 MOA) with the 122 gr HP wolf steel case ammo. Next in line in accuracy is with 123 SP Russian ammo. Poorest accuracy (about 2.5 MOA) is with Wolf steel case 154 gr. SP.

I have killed several medium sized deer with the Wolf 154 grain SP ammo. Died quite quickly. No shots were beyond 125 yards or so. I shot them from tree stands where I normally archery hunt.

The only thing I dont like about my 527 is the box magazine is a single stack which extends below the stock. It extends out at exactly the balance point of the rifle, which makes it somewhat unhandy to carry in one hand. This is a shame, as it is a very light handy rifle, with the fixed 4X Weaver I have on it.

Best,

Kevin

Exactly my experience with a Carbine I bought when they first came out. Texas whitetail, blackbuck and hogs have dropped with that combo. I carry mine by the scope so the extended mag is not an issue.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PennDog
Don't have a Howa but did considerate it in 6.5 Grendel......but got a CZ 6.5 Grendel instead (they released a few to select distributors in July and the next batch should be released soon - according to CZ). So far I really like the rifle and the cartridge - however, like most, I do not like the extended magazine but the accuracy and weight are hard to beat FWIW.

PennDog

Well, Mr. Enabler, I blundered into one on GB tonight and pulled the lever on it.

All your fault.

Do they make a smaller mag?

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They do make a smaller magazine. You might have to grind some of the side rails that are part of the trigger guard off to use it without having to buy a new trigger guard assembly. Available for the .223, not sure about other calibers.

Like EdM suggested, the scope rings are pretty high so you can use the scope as a luggage handle.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Talley and Leupold both make rings, but I don't know if they're any lower. Have to check how high the handle goes too. On the .22s, it's pretty high. The Grendel can use a bit more scope than the 7.62, so if it's going to be high up anyway, I might as well put some glass up front. A 6x36 was my first thought.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.