Campfire Outfitter
Yer missing a front scope cap and blue muzzle tape grin

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice 'lope jeff. Congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
As he lay. You can see where I hit him in the ribs. Quick clue as to my little rodeo- see anything missing from my rifle?

Wood and bluing. You really have to take better pictures - or maybe you did but not for public consumption, but really, I hope you have a better photo than that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you survived your goat rodeo.

You cut that cape a little short?

Kinda surprised this being a trophy hunt that takes years to accumulate enough points to draw a tag, yet you claim you only have a few crappy photo's?

And you must not intend to mount it? ,,,,, too bad because the cape is a large part of the trophy.

That goat deserves to be mounted, are you going to throw the horns in the yard for the dogs to chew on?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Jeff thats a nice first or last antelope buck - they are all beautiful IMHO! Glad you had a good hunt and got to break in the new rifle.
Now that you have one antelope down you can start going to Wyoming to chase then every year wink

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Yer missing a front scope cap and blue muzzle tape grin

Perceptive! smile

I'll give details later, drivin home

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One tip is broken, the other has a nice light-color tip on it, guys tell me that's a good thing.... crazy

https://i.imgur.com/Po0IBGd.jpg[Linked Image]

Lookin' like a bit of meat damage there wink

Nice goat.........

Gerry.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bravo.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just returned from a trip to visit young son back east. Fortified the many reasons I have for living in the west.

Good going Jeff-O, Need to hear the rest of the story.

Safe trip home,

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looks like the blue muzzle tape got used to attach the tag to the horn. (I'm afraid to ask where the scope cap wound up.)

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a successful hunt, nice one.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my goat. I'll tell the tale later. Tearing down camp now.

[Linked Image]

Congrats, Jeff.

Sounded like you enjoyed the hunt and it was memorable...that's a win.

P.S. That Mosaic ain't a bad IPA at all....

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Euro pronghorn are sweet.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's my goat. I'll tell the tale later. Tearing down camp now.

[Linked Image]

Ivory tips are a sign of an older buck, but I do believe it has more to do with genetics than anything else.

Nice 'lope in any event...you throw a tape on him yet? 12-13" length?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Appears to be pretty decent cutters/mass.

Get that hide off the skull!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love that skinning rack...great idea! I have only bagged 2 pronghorns in all my hunting career. One in Wyoming and one in N. Arizona. My only advice is have
a darn good spotting scope, a good pair of 10x binoculars, and bring a lot of patience and your flattest shooting rifle. My favorite load has always been
my .270 Win with 130gr. Nosler Accubonds. Good luck and hope you get the speed buck! A beautiful and awesome trophy!

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks much guys.

I was thinking he was pretty dinky, but at camp other hunters kept saying he was a pretty good buck. Who knew?!

Sammo, my plan for mounting it is as follows: hang the head from a tree way out in my woods and let Sasquatch and bugs clean it up this winter. What could go wrong <grin>?

Tom, the heat had me thinking of your problems with heat in deer season down there! It's kind of a big deal. I've got the meat on ice in coolers and I'm just going to have to age it a bit that way. Uh.... does antelope meat benefit from a little aging like deer venison does?

Irfubar, it was 90+ degrees, bright as GOD, and my iPhone camera couldn't handle it. The pics look sepia almost. Wasn't any point in trying to stage some hero shot and I was more than a little concerned about the heat. The pic that matters to me is the "as he lay" pic; that's what I saw walking up, that's my memory of it. So there. smile

Mojo, yes sir it is a very fine IPA. smile I'm a big fan of great IPA's in cans. Very consistent carbonation, and always fresh.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok so here's my story.

The backstory: I built that rifle from a bare action, well north of $2k in parts... plus the NF scope, I'm carrying over $3k in outlay... only relevant due to what I describe below... and many months of major obsessing. Tom and Jordan were privy to some of that; I think they were pretty sick of hearing about it <g>. Add in a ton of practice at long range for years now and I'm really feeling saucy about my rifle and skillz. smile

So I'm sort of trundling along out in the sage, tail end of my 2nd big hike-and-glass expedition of the day, hot as Hades, and this guy appears in front of me. He must have been bedded and stood up to see what strange beast was slouching through his desert. About 150 yards away. Horns are backlit, holy [bleep] here's my buck. I toss my rifle up. Chip shot. Gaaa! I can't see anything through my scope. The hell? I realize the front BC flip up is broken; it's just hanging there, no spring to pop it up. I wrap my thumb up over the barrel to hold it open. The adrenaline is hitting and I'm completely flustered now and in an awkward position with my damn front hand. He starts to turn to run; I miss, badly. He runs. The next two shots are a comedy of me trying to cycle rounds, hold the [bleep] cap open, and shoot a running antelope. Side note: they are FAST <g>. I miss. Twice. One round left. He STOPS, broadside, at maybe 225, 250 now. This is my last chance. I'm still in this ridiculous front hand position. Failure looms as a distinct probability. I muster up the presence of mind to take a deep breath and let the rifle settle. Boom! He takes off again but I can tell I killed him by how he's running, and sure enough he piles up in a cloud of dust and a flash of white belly fur out in the sage.

Turns out the little pin had backed out of the hinge enough to let the little coil spring that flips the cap pop out and get bent. Tried to get the tiny little thing bent properly back but it's toast. I'm sure BiMart will give me a new one. But the lessons of the day were a) to add that to the list of things I check on at least every now and then, and b) that a $12 plastic accessory can screw up your whole day no matter how well you think you've prepared. And also, that I kind of go all to pieces in that situation; I need to do some military/aviation type "failure drills".

Thinking lll take my soldering iron and sort of "stake" the pins in my Butler Creeks via a dab of melted plastic.

So that's my story! Funny chit. But man did I have a good time up there. The comraderie and intel-sharing between camps was really something. Just great folks. And Steens is one of the most purely sublime places I know of. Word to the wise.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/16/17.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Data point: it's a 6.5 SAUM, so a couple hundred fps faster than a Creed... I used the 140 ELD-M. It hit a rib going in, did sort of "normal" damage to the lungs, then hit a rib going out and left a quarter-size exit wound. Pretty much perfect I'd say. I'm going to use the bullet for deer here in a few weeks so we'll see how that goes but it definitely did not fly to flinders (damn I miss BobinNH!) and it killed the heck out of the antelope. Phenomenally accurate bullet as well, of course.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well done!! Pronghorn hunts are near the top of my favorites list.

Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,481 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,679
Posts18,493,859
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.