Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zeissman
If you're interested in the range finding models - Swarovski EL Range 8x42 and 10x42 - they don't use field flatteners as mentioned earlier by Bwana_1. The Field Pro also mentioned by Bwana_1 are the latest version of the EL's.

Using the both the Field Pro Field EL Range 8x42 and 10x42 compared to several earlier EL Range models, I have noticed a noticeable increase in contrast with the FP's. Whether this is apparent in all the Field Pro models I have no idea.

I personally prefer the non Swarovision models. Not affected by rolling ball, just find the Swarovsion's too flat looking, lacking in some 3D effect. Everyone's eyes are different though.

Swarovski are continually improving their coatings and seldom mention them publicly probably because the differences are unperceivable to us.

I agree on all of your points, but will say according to many Swaro sources the FieldPro package has the identical coatings and lenses and the FINAL generation SV...but as you stated they update coatings without public notice...so you could have been viewing an earlier version/generation SV also.

I have many SV's, EL's, SF's, HT's, FLT's,,,they are all a joy to use, and a slightly different view whether FOV or color tint...buy what you like and enjoy them. There is no debate on the best glass for your eyes, test them in varying conditions and make your choice.

PS: Leica is known for some of the best glass and ergonomics in the industry, and until their latest model had the worst ER of all Alpha's bar none. Many hardcore optic guys passed them up for the minimal sweet spot and kidney bean effect...it's about time they got in the game, because the Vortex's and Nikon's were destroying them in the market. Personally I don't "need" any additional glass in my safe, but will pull the trigger when Canon get the IS II series with image stabilization fine tuned...that is the next BIG jump in optic's future technology, and they are very close.

GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
As an avid deer hunter I found the Zeiss 10x42 HT the sharpest and best low light 10x bino I've ever owned. If I could fault them it would be their mid day or very bright conditions performance. They're at their best when the light gets low and for looking into shadows. I rue the day I sold them.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Lots of posts here, and some of them are in error.

Oh, we're all eyes and ears, oh great one. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

With all due respect, coatings don't flatten the view,,,lenses do. Coating filter light and or make the view brighter. There have been 15-20 generations of EL's all together. The newest version are the FieldPro, which has an upgraded case and new strap lugs.

Bwana,

Before field flattening lens there were coatings that flattened and made the view sharper edge to edge. Changing coatings changes the view through the lens and visa versa. Rolling ball is a result of field flattening. Swaro changed the coatings to reduce the rolling ball.

Secondly, EL's have been out for how long? 10 years or so? That means they introduced a new generation every 6 months or so? Or does changing the color of the strap result in new generation of binos?

Gotta love the optics forum--we're all optical experts here............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Umm, no...coating couldn't control the concave/convex shape of multiple glass lenses used in conjunction if it tried....really really really hard. Camera lenses and filters have been in the game a long time too, and the purpose of said coatings is pretty basic and common knowledge...except in your parts it appears.

I'm not here to argue nor banter, or I'll head over to the Hunter's Fire for a ballz roasting smile

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Farmboy,

Would love to hear where you're getting your information about the lighter, slimmer latest EL's. My 10x42 is probably a decade old, and is exactly the same length, width and weight listed for the 10x42 on Swarovski's website.

John: I have owned both versions of the EL. I should not have said the Swarovision is lighter, but it has slimmer barrels, and it is brighter.

The original EL was better due to improved coatings along the way. I have compared the 2001 to the 2009 model, last year of the EL.

The Swarovision is an entirely new model.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Just to clarify, all EL's are EL WB's no matter what model/generation/age..."WB" in German meaning wide angle.

Last edited by Bwana_1; 08/16/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane

Skane: The biggest thing I found on this thread is the talk about rolling ball or whatever about flat field optics, including the Swarovision.

I can tell you would not know much about that. I mentioned Zeiss found that maybe 2-5% of the population may even see this.

What else are you wondering about.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Leica and I don't get along due to the terrible eye relief, they're so well known for.....

Sounds like you haven't tried the Noctivid's...

Is 19mm "terrible eye relief"?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
The rollerball effect may only apply to a small 10% of the users, but when spending 3k-4k it's important to know if you're a potential victim smile

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rolling ball has been mentioned, but in
studies done by Zeiss only 2-5% of the population will even be affected. That means that it is a mute subject.,

Unless you're in the 2-5%...

I am in that minority. The 'rolling ball effect' is like vertigo with served with sides of motion sickness and migraines. It varies in intensity.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

Skane: The biggest thing I found on this thread is the talk about rolling ball or whatever about flat field optics, including the Swarovision.

I can tell you would not know much about that. I mentioned Zeiss found that maybe 2-5% of the population may even see this.

What else are you wondering about.

LOL. We have three people in this thread alone that have sensitivity toward the field flattener - self included.
Did you happen to read where I mentioned owning the Swarovision? So, I wouldn't know anything about it and my eyes were playing tricks on me because I didn't read the Zeiss study?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really feel sorry for you guys. And it has been reported, that if you use one for a while, you will get used to it and all
will be great.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah Casey, they were introduced in 2000. That is still a lot of generations...:)

Here guys, read this forum below for a couple days and everyone will know everything about Swaro--lots of good technical info to be found, with some normal internet drama provided:

Swaro

Defend the Constitution
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Lots of great info has already been posted here by some very knowledgeable guys who have used them in the field. That is invaluable. I've had the good fortune to own Swarovision glass in 8x32, 10x42, and 10x50 configurations, an SLC HD in 10x42, and many other "near alphas". As far as the SV's go, I thought the glare control in the 8x32 version was terrible, so I sent them back to the retailer I bought them from. The 10x42's are fantastic (I don't suffer the rolling ball thing), BUT, the 10x50 SV is the real pick of the litter, IMO of course, of the SV line. The view is very, very special, given a guy doesn't mind the increased size over the 10x42 config.

I also have an 8x42 Tract Toric UHD, which went with me to Namibia last August. I've gone on record as saying that you won't find a better binocular unless you're willing to spend $2k, and even then the difference isn't mind blowing. The Toric is on par with my SLC HD and Meostar HD.

Lastly, the ergonomics of the binocular is of extreme importance. In fact it may be the most important thing because there are so many great binoculars out there today. Some binoculars just don't fit your face well for whatever reason, and the best glass in the world can't make up for that. Some glass fit like a glove and you'll notice it immediately. Good luck in your search, and have some fun with it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I really feel sorry for you guys. And it has been reported, that if you use one for a while, you will get used to it and all
will be great.

That is true.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...it has been reported, that if you use one for a while, you will get used to it and all
will be great.

They say the same thing about anal beads.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
LOL

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw....speaking to binoculars...not beads...

Read a bunch on the SLC and the EL and then try them. Trying them before you buy them carries a whole lot more weight than all the posts you can read--no flies on anybody's post. My kids were brought up trying glass and they will pick a different bino than me as "preferred." Check out the eyecups, eye relief and diopter adjustment of several brands.

If you plan to keep them forever, Swaro customer service is second to none and one of the things they do is refurbish well used glass for clients. Have had a 90's porro done and a 2000 EL and they pass for new.

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No reason to spend more on Swarovski than the current SLC. I prefer it to the EL Swarovision but I also like the Zeiss HT over the SF-no field flattening lenses for me please.

Zeiss Conquest HD is a best buy under $1000 and will do everything you need.

I have owned of all the alpha glass except the Noctovid and currently own a HT in 8 and 10x42 as well as a current SLC in 10x42. I have compared these extensively to a few of the current $650-$1000 options like the Conquest HD, Tract Toric and Styrka S9, meopta meostar hd. They are close but not quite there. Perfectly good enough for a serious hunting glass but not to the level of the current SLC, none of the mid range glass is IMO. For some reason its become popular notion that these mid range binoculars compare to the SLC (its the cheapest alpha). Simply not true from what I have looked through.

I prefer the Zeiss HT optically and ergonomically over anything else.

Consider buying a second hand Zeiss. For some reason much better deals are always available on Zeiss over Leica or Swarovski. Zeiss will take care of you if needed.

Ive been seeing like new pre owned Conquest HD's go for around the $500 mark recently and picked up my dad a pair for $470. I bought my two pair of HT's second hand but like new for $1250 and $1300.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 08/16/17.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,038 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,931
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.