Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have nothing against monometal bullets. I used .375 TSX's in Africa and they worked very well. I've used 150 grain TTSX bullets in my .308 on pigs and they worked great. I just loaded some 168 grain TTSX's for my 30-06 to use for elk although I think this year I'll use 200 grain Accubonds in my .338. as my primary rifle. I think both bullet types have their place. I'm just not ready to stop using lead core bullets because of a perceived health hazard until I see credible epidemiological studies that clearly demonstrate that hazard.

GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a lot of household chemicals that are very hazardous, probably more than the occasional possibility of eating lead from the game we kill, since all depends on how much lead-contaminated game meat one eats. Then one has to take into consideration that the chunks of lead are usually removed from the meat before one eats it, and that one does not eat game meat each day of the week, three times a day. Right? But if you read the MDS (MSDS) for every product you use in a daily basis a home, you will realize that we receive more exposure of such chemicals than to lead.

I use Barnes bullets simply because they work for me, not because I am afraid of lead contamination. But i don't mind at all jacketed bullets such as the 250-grain NOS partition for my .338, and so the 225-250-grain A-Frame.

Last edited by Ray; 08/23/17.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Zerk

The question I have, is why would you not use lead free? Are you concerned about effectiveness, or are you using lead to simply prove a point.

I agree with many, that I think the chance is small. What risk are you willing to accept? Is there a reason not to? Other than making a point.

Go back to my original response to this and I explained why I will not use them. I am not going to type the whole thing out again because you are not following the entire thread

I have read the entire thread. You are not the only one posting in this thread. Even though you say are not trying to prove a point, I tend think you are.

Someone in the family just had a baby. So I am going to put thought into this and read up. I tend to agree, that it is not an issue. But I may decide .0001% chance is to much. I am not going to go with the arguement I am fine

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Ray
There are a lot of household chemicals that are very hazardous, probably more than the occasional possibility of eating lead from the game we kill, since all depends on how much lead-contaminated game meat one eats. .

Agreed. But you can do more than one thing. You can wear a hard hat, and safety toes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Agreed. But you can do more than one thing. You can wear a hard hat, and safety toes.

I agree. You should always wear a hard hat and steel-toes around the house when working with dangerous chemicals. And for you, a helmet when you go out in public.

Originally Posted by Ray
There are a lot of household chemicals that are very hazardous, probably more than the occasional possibility of eating lead from the game we kill, since all depends on how much lead-contaminated game meat one eats. Then one has to take into consideration that the chunks of lead are usually removed from the meat before one eats it, and that one does not eat game meat each day of the week, three times a day. Right? But if you read the MDS (MSDS) for every product you use in a daily basis a home, you will realize that we receive more exposure of such chemicals than to lead.

Yep, well said. Plenty of stuff that can kill you outright with a single "exposure." If you start worrying about that stuff you'd never clean your oven or put gasoline in your car. Much less light the grill. I'd never criticize anyone for switching to copper bullets but I don't want anyone forcing their opinions on me.

And that's just what they are, opinions.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
When we brought the baby to the new house almost 30 years ago I installed childproof closers and locks on the cabinet with the chemical cleaners. The older kids lived in some houses that didn't have them locked up as toddlers. Bad smell and safety caps are pretty effective deterrents for young children drinking bleach or window cleaner. Grandma serving you delicious elk biscuits and gravy doesn't have the same negative signals.

I didn't switch for health reasons and heartily agree the risk is small but I'm happy not to need to worry. I hate the state over regulating and telling me what to do as much as the next freedom loving citizen but occasionally they have a good point.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by rost495
I use Barnes because they are the best bullet for the job period.

Flat statements are ridiculous, period.

grin

Brad, this is not aimed at you, or your comment. Just a opening for me to voice my opinion.

This far in & I've already decided that this is a ridiculous thread !

WTF - Really !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ray
There are a lot of household chemicals that are very hazardous, probably more than the occasional possibility of eating lead from the game we kill, since all depends on how much lead-contaminated game meat one eats. .

grin Yes, I guess so. We can also send the kids to the playground wearing a sumo wrestler suit too. That way they can be "safe" from head to toe when playing.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by smokepole

I agree. You should always wear a hard hat and steel-toes around the house when working with dangerous chemicals. And for you, a helmet when you go out in public.

I'd never criticize anyone for switching to copper bullets but I don't want anyone forcing their opinions on me.

And that's just what they are, opinions.

My point was you can do more then one safe act. If you protect yourself from A, you can also protect yourself from B. I guess hard hat and safety toes, went over your head.

I too don't want it being forced on me. I am anti government. I am probably not one you would think, would even take up this discussion. But I have for 2 reasons. Newborn in family, has me wantng to think about it. Plus I just think the arguement by most in this thread, are arguements in name only. Just because you sruvived playing in traffic, is no reason for someone else to do so. Safe practices don't have a quota or limit you have to stop at.

I am not cautious with chemicals as I should be. But I do wonder about all the cancer you are seeing these days. Is it more? Do we just here about it more, I don't know. But I do wonder about all the chemicals and preservatives we digest.

I certainly don't want government telling me what to do. But when times comes for baby to eat wild meat, maybe I will make sure it is a cut away from bullet. Maybe I will read up more. Probablem is don't trust either side. One side probably leans anti gun, and the other pro gun, and may not want to say lead is bad, or pro hunting, concerned with an restrictions coming from government.

Keep in mind lead exposure can make you stupid and aggressive, or lack control. So I think some arguements, are further diminished.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by Ray

grin Yes, I guess so. We can also send the kids to the playground wearing a sumo wrestler suit too. That way they can be "safe" from head to toe when playing.

It think cuts and stiches, are not the same cateory as this. This is why this is probably not a good place to research this. Some people have ate to much wild game, and may not see the differences.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Newborn in family

Good lawd....... they breed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
But I do wonder about all the cancer you are seeing these days. Is it more? Do we just here about it more, I don't know.

Well, over here we do here about it more but I'm not sure about they're.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But I do wonder about all the cancer you are seeing these days. Is it more? Do we just here about it more, I don't know.

Now that's funny.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z

People pick up grammar, when they do not have the ability to discuss the matter.

Unless you are so stupid, you can't figure out a typo. I ask, cause I really don't know.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
People pick up grammar, when they do not have the ability to discuss the matter.

I resent that remark. How dare you. What is the matter? Cause I really don't know. Either.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
No gas in you are tank, for you two make a arguement .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No gas in you are tank, for you two make a arguement .

No gas?

I'm passed that.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
No, I really don't think you are.

I am sure someone will come along and say, you got it all wrong he is such a great guy. Sorta like leaving a turd out, to see who comes to eat the free meal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In this metafore, Zerk ist he turd, rite?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Lke most of the analogies, this one too, is to much.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,394
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.