Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks in part to Jim In Idaho (damn enabler!) and his Ruger 77 from RJ Renner I finally went ahead and sent my No.1 in. Took about 4 weeks and I picked it up Saturday. Got the Skinner and the NECG partridge mounted so now I just got to sight her in.

Aesthetically, it's beautiful (imho). I know the Henry fore end has some history but this is how Ruger should have made the No.1. Very sleek and befitting a nice single shot. The Skinner complements it perfectly.

Function wise, I did some preliminary measurements before I sent it in and when it came back. Most of the removal was from the fore end with the rest focusing on the top of the comb. Roger lowered it and thinned it out and moved the 'nose' back a bit. For not removing much, it sure made a difference in feel. From my measurements I don't think he touched the wrist/grip area but perhaps due to the work on the comb it feels a little thinner and more open--more comfortable to me. The rifle comes up perfectly in line with the open sights, now. In fact, I think I had been getting in the habit of squishing my face down because now I just bring it up gently and it's there! Feels like a nice little 20 gauge.

Roger does excellent work with great communication and fast service. Can't recommend him enough. In fact, I'll be saving some moolah and hope to find an African in 9.3 in the future to send to him for the Teutonic treatment. I thought the price was fair considering the work involved and the fact a good fiberglass stock will set you back damn near $600. Can't recall if the wood stood a little 'proud' of the receiver on this one (a Farqhuarson nod, is it not?) but if so, he pbeveled it down flush. The re-checkering is deep, clean and precise. Again, top notch work all around.

Oh, and like Jim, I put a (small) scratch in it trying to balance it on that fence post--the only one around. This, even after thinking of Jim's mishap the entire time. Damn it! blush cry Oh well, character marks, right? It is gonna be a hunting rifle, after all.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MojoHand; 08/26/17. Reason: Its Renner...not Jenner!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tried the Camofire hosting thing....no good. First try with Imgur failed...here we go again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice!

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh heck yeah!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is gorgeous! Your Ruger has very nice wood to start with but Roger's treatment definitely brings out the best in it, and he sure knows how to remove just the right amount of wood to bring out the best in handling. Did he shorten the forend much or just thin it and reshape it? I like that Skinner on the #1, it blends in really well with the lines of the rife.

Sorry to hear about that scratch. Roger said he'd remove mine at no charge and might do the same for you but like you say, it's a character mark. At least that's what I keep telling myself, too. wink

As you are noting, his work is habit forming. I'm expecting word to send in my second project to him any day now, and already have a third one in mind.

On the enabling part, now that your rifle is back I should be getting my commission check from Roger shortly. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mojo,

I have to agree with all you've said about the rifle and Roger and his work. I had a 77 done first and the change is remarkable. I sent him my 450/400 No.1 and the change in that rifle was also amazing. Yes, I think this is what Ruger should have had originally. Don't get me wrong, I bought my first No. 1 in 1971 and thought it was great, still think they are wonderful rifles, but the attention to detail is definitely not like it was in the early 70's. I'd put in a photo, but it says it's too big and I am not literate enough to make it smaller. Sorry! Terry

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd sure like to see some pictures of that 450-400!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
BigSky,

I have tried and tried to change image size and have followed directions for the new image gallery, multiple times, all to no avail. I import, click on done and nothing shows up in the gallery. I'm sure I could email them - if that's allowed. Sorry, Terry

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I really need to put those sights on my 45/70

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BRLMKR
BigSky,

I have tried and tried to change image size and have followed directions for the new image gallery, multiple times, all to no avail. I import, click on done and nothing shows up in the gallery. I'm sure I could email them - if that's allowed. Sorry, Terry

Terry,

Saw your pics on Ruger Forum and 'stole' them to post here. Your rifle is too nice not to be drooled over!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
mighty fine!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
MojoHand,

Thanks! And as I mentioned over there, it's a great shooter! Taking it to Alaska in a week and a half for my annual moose hunt. When I get back I want to work up some cast loads for the lighter stuff. Thanks, again. Terry

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I never had a No.1 in 9.3x62, but I did have one in 9.3x74 (1S) and I personally thought that was the best balanced rifle I ever owned. VERY quick to mount and get on game. As accurate as this rifle. Yeah, I stupidly sold it for something I must have felt I had to have instead. Terry

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a peach Terry!

I sold both a 450-400 and a 9.3x74R...I replaced the 450-400, but I'm gonna have to find another 9.3.

That 450-400 was way more accurate than it had a right to be, and the 9.3 had knock out wood!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a beautiful rifle, and, yes, RJ does great work.

Can you tell me where you got the canvas sling?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by skeen
That is a beautiful rifle, and, yes, RJ does great work.

Can you tell me where you got the canvas sling?

Likely here.

http://traderkeith.com/products.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
EdM,

You are correct ,sir! Cartridge holder also came from Trader Keith. Terry

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MoFo, mighty nice Man !!

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful rifle. Really like the addition of the Skinner rear. How is it working out so far? I have been contemplating adding one to a #1 RSI and using as a close quarters woods rifle.

Again, great looking rig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (14idaho, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.