Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What is the average body weight of these does?

Why does that matter? Especially if he's shooting them in the head.

For soft tissue shots. Easier to get a Stinger or Mini Mag through an 80# deer than a doe that will go 125# or more.

I understand he said head shots only but if they are smallish 100# or so does I wouldn't think twice about a lung shot.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/17/17.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I love Stingers but I'd try the Browning HV's with the 40gr. I have really come to love those.

Dave

I "Heard" they are dirty. Any issues or is somebody blowing smoke up my azz?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by ringworm
And to point...I have seen guys with 300 mags make [bleep] hits on deer, wound them grievously and never recover them.
I am betting no one questioned them when they did it.
at.

A bad marksman, has nothing to do with the capability of the caliber.

So what does an "excellent" marksman such as myself, have to say about "capability"?

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Nothing that will add to the discussion, I suspect.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

For soft tissue shots. Easier to get a Stinger or Mini Mag through an 80# deer than a doe that will go 125# or more.

I understand he said head shots only but if they are smallish 100# or so does I wouldn't think twice about a lung shot.

I'd think twice about the whole damn thing! laugh lol

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I love Stingers but I'd try the Browning HV's with the 40gr. I have really come to love those.

Dave

I "Heard" they are dirty. Any issues or is somebody blowing smoke up my azz?

I haven't shot them, but I'm going to. I'll let you know.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I'd think twice about the whole damn thing! laugh lol

To be honest I wouldn't think about it at even if legal. I have seen the above work, and work damn fast too.

If I were me and I wanted quiet I would get me a 223 and suppress it shooting a 55 grain Gameking. Super deadly combination there, at least on these Missouri deer.

Also understand not everybody has the funding for a can either. It's legal and if the shooter feels they are up to the task then why not.

I personally wouldn't shoot #6 shot at turkeys but people do and the results speak for themselves.

It's a legal method where the OP is so if that's what he wants to use then go ahead.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Buying a silence and a rifle to shoot it for the ability to throw 5.56 subsonics when a 22LR is legal and effective is like buying a F350 to carry a lawnmower.
While you may enjoy spending money for show, why no just use what's already available?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never said anything about spending money for show. Also never said you shouldn't use it.

Said go ahead of legal.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot a coyote harassing a doe several years back precisely between ear and eye with late Dad's Marlin 60 and It went straight down with an exit.

She was a big one and remains best offhand shot I've made on game smaller than deer. Forty yards; I'm now partial to Velocitors.

Were it legal I'd shoot does that way.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 08/23/17.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buying a silence and a rifle to shoot it for the ability to throw 5.56 subsonics when a 22LR is legal and effective is like buying a F350 to carry a lawnmower.
While you may enjoy spending money for show, why no just use what's already available?

I'm guessing that was directed at me, so in short I already have the setup and no i didn't buy it "for show" I bought the suppressor because it's a lot of fun and for my kids to learn to shoot a variety of firearms with less noise. I usually use it on my .22 magnum but since the original post limited use to 22 lr I limited my response as well. To stabilize the larger bullets you need a faster twist and they hit with more authority than 32 or 40 grain bullets. the barrel I got was on sale, came threaded and still works great on all other 22 bullets out there. when shooting prairie dogs it doesn't spook others that are up allowing multiple shots from one location without spooking them. This setup allows the use of ALL 22 LR bullets already available.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
...While you may enjoy spending money for show...

You are just putting on a "show" with this thread. Have you gotten all the attention you were seeking?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And to point...I have seen guys with 300 mags make [bleep] hits on deer, wound them grievously and never recover them.
I am betting no one questioned them when they did it.
To say, if I make a poor shot does it matter what I used? A jaw hit with a 7mm mag is a wounded and quit possibly unrecoverable kill.
I'm ONLY taking a perfect head shot. I can hunt from October till January and have a very liberal bag limit. And a already half full freezer. I'm not pressed to make shots due to haste and nerves or rush shots because I need the meat.

Ok. But you're being an idiot, which is nothing new for you. You can marry a man in SC too, I'm guessing that is next?

Yes, a jaw shot is a jaw shot with a 7mm, but should the opportunity to send one up the cheerio arrives after you f*cked up said deer, I'd count on a 150gr TSX being able to finish the deed over a 22LR Stinger.

That you can't grasp the difference, surprises me not.

Again, I'm all about using shiet that works when everything is wrong, not when everything is 'perfect', which clearly you are not.

this^^^

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'd use 40 grain solids over hp's, if it was me, and head shots were the only one I'd be taking. Whatever high-velocity 40 is giving me the best accuracy. I watched a deer drop dead to 3 Mini-Mags in the back of the head from a Ruger Mark II at about 80 yds. Bam Bam Bam while she was walking straight away. Hard to say whether the first two did any good, but the last definitely connected, and she died instantly.

Sounds real ethical.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've shot a few deer with suppressed .22 Magnums while doing urban herd reduction work and they all died, but not all instantly even with short range standing head shots. Based on that experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting deer with any currently offered rimfire cartridge/bullet combination unless it was a survival situation and then anything goes.

That said, since you're going to be shooting antlerless deer in a place with lots of deer and a liberal bag limit, if you happen to shoot one and can't recover it, it isn't the end of the world as no protein goes to waste on the forest floor.

Well, since thats the case, may as well have fun and try to roll them running at 150 yards.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Quite often people talk on here about the strange things bullets sometimes do.

I knew a crack shot rancher years ago told me about a big crippled stray he shot in the head at about 20 yards in the ranch dump to keep it from suffering. 22.

Ten days later it had crawled half a mile to try and get a drink of his dogs water in the ranchers back yard, half its head rotted off.
Cured him.

Never was a man who did much shooting where he didnt miss or have crap happen.

Over half the head offers non immediately lethal matter. Most people who think they can send the message to fire and ALWAYS hit the brain before a deer can move its head dont know much about deer or shooting.

I will agree, some can make a noise and make a good head shot before the deer drops its head back down, provided another distraction doesnt occur to attract its attention before the bullet gets there.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/25/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I knew a crack shot rancher years ago told me about a big crippled stray he shot in the head at about 20 yards in the ranch dump to keep it from suffering. 22.

Ten days later it had crawled half a mile to try and get a drink of his dogs water in the ranchers back yard, half its head rotted off.
Cured him.

Over half the head offers non immediately lethal matter. Most people who think they can send the message to fire and ALWAYS hit the brain before a deer can move its head dont know much about deer or shooting.

I will agree, some can make a noise and make a good head shot before the deer drops its head back down, provided another distraction doesnt occur to attract its attention before the bullet gets there.

+1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
to paraphrase jeff foxworthy, "if you find yourself shooting a deer with a 22LR, you're an azzhole"

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Cured him.

And yet millions of people throw sticks at 300fps every year at deer and none utters a condemnation.
Odd that.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,447
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.