Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Zerk
Sorta like leaving a turd out, to see who comes to eat the free meal.

That's BS. I never leave turds out. I get paid a lot of money to crap in the porta johns. It's sorta like a reward.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grin You guys are getting too funny. Reminds me of one time long ago, maybe in this forum (?), where two guys were responding to each other in a funny way, but the funniest thing going were their names. One went by the name, "Farts," and the other, "Farts Loudly." Sometime later the forum moderator probably figured that the guy had managed to register twice using two different email addresses or something like that.

On the serious side, I would not worry too much about lead core versus all metal copper bullets. Just take the usual precautions such as cutting out the bullet hole thought the flesh, and removing any pieces of lead. And if you are still worried about pieces of lead you can't see, use a cheap metal detector. But as I said before, it makes no sense to worry too much about stuff like that, just be cautious about anything, including copper. Maybe long into the future when most bullets are made of copper someone will figure that hunters and shooters suffer from high exposures of copper, at which time a switch to 24KT gold bullets will take place (?).

~Just kidding with you.

Last edited by Ray; 08/25/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A metal detector isn't going to pick up fine lead fragments.
Thus far I have read multiple people say they have been eating game meat for years and haven't been poisoned. It would take alot of lead to get lead poisoning, however that doesn't mean that each time you have consumed lead it didn't impair you. Same with with blood levels. Just because you have low blood levels in the present doesn't preclude you from having higher levels in the past.
It coukd be much ado about nothing, but until a definative study comes put I am being very picky on how and when I use lead bullets.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by BWalker

Thus far I have read multiple people say they have been eating game meat for years and haven't been poisoned. It would take alot of lead to get lead poisoning, however that doesn't mean that each time you have consumed lead it didn't impair you. Same with with blood levels. Just because you have low blood levels in the present doesn't preclude you from having higher levels in the past.
ts.

I am not concerned about lead poison for me. I am concerned about children. I thought that was the debate.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

ts.

I am not concerned about lead poison for me. I am concerned about children. I thought that was the debate.

Perhaps you should be....

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Where is Kawi when we need him?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A metal detector isn't going to pick up fine lead fragments.
It coukd be much ado about nothing, but until a definative study comes put I am being very picky on how and when I use lead bullets.

Go back up a few pages and read there study that Muledeer posted. It can't be more definitive than that. Even when proof is shown, some folks won't believe it. They must be democrats grin

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/25/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We just had an x-ray machine installed in the kitchen. There's so much metal out there, it's the only way we were going to feel safe.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by kingston
We just had an x-ray machine installed in the kitchen. There's so much metal out there, it's the only way we were going to feel safe.

You would be better off getting a taster, to make sure it is not poisoned.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You would be better off getting a taster, to make sure it is not poisoned.

Did you loose your job in the port-a-potty?

IC B3

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Someday you may grow some stones, and get sick of working indoors. I doubt it, but never know. Also carry a lunch pail and bring a thermo of coffee. Probabyly more then you could handle. But I hope I never go back in the office.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I load TTSX's for 7 calibers cause they shoot well and kill great....all I need to know....,keeping it simple.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
saddlesore,

Here's the link to the European study of the effect of lead in game animals on hunters:
www.springerlink.com/index/BFPM6CLJ036W3VKW.pdf

The only other data I have is limited: My wife had to have her blood analyzed for a number of years due to a medical condition. Game is 95% of our diet, the exception being when we eat out, which isn't very often. We use both lead and "non-toxic" shot and bullets, but would guess at least 3/4 are lead. The lead levels in her blood were considerably under the average for American adults.

Knew you would come thru John. Mine got lost on a old computer

That study tested blood levels, which is one indicator of exposure, but not of neurological damage that lead passing through your system causes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=BWalkerThat study tested blood levels, which is one indicator of exposure, but not of neurological damage that lead passing through your system causes.[/quote]

I thought the same thing when I read it. Some chemists can't think outside their fields so they miss things.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
[quote=BWalkerThat study tested blood levels, which is one indicator of exposure, but not of neurological damage that lead passing through your system causes.

I thought the same thing when I read it. Some chemists can't think outside their fields so they miss things.
[/quote]

Seems to me IF you know that there is little or no lead in the blood, then the possibility of neurological damage isn't very likely. It is like saying you don't have a bullet hole in your body, but you are still going to die from lead. Sorry, but there is not enough evidence or positive studies that show eating game killed with lead bullets causes lead poisoning in the human body. In fact based on past history and evidence of the use of lead bullets for a hundred years +, it clearly shows the opposite.

I keep thinking back when eggs were considered very bad for cholesterol. Caffeine was bad and caused cancer, red wine was bad for you. All those have been debunked. Think of all the prescription drugs doctors reccomend and yet the side effects are worse than what they are suppose to cure. We put things in our body everyday that are not the best choices,but they don't kill us. My father worked in coal mines for 25+ years and had Black Lung and suffered strokes.He lived to be 93.My sister who never smoked,didn't drink died of cancer when she was 44. My DIL has just finished radiation treatment for breast cancer, she is about as straight as a person could be.There is a hell of a lot of things that a person could be worrying about in their life Using lead bullets is way down on that scale

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/26/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lead being a meat problem is exactly the same as CO2 destroying the earth.
Only those that are drinking the cool Aid believe this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
saddlesore,

Here's the link to the European study of the effect of lead in game animals on hunters:

The only other data I have is limited: My wife had to have her blood analyzed for a number of years due to a medical condition. Game is 95% of our diet, the exception being when we eat out, which isn't very often. We use both lead and "non-toxic" shot and bullets, but would guess at least 3/4 are lead. The lead levels in her blood were considerably under the average for American adults.

That study tested blood levels, which is one indicator of exposure, but not of neurological damage that lead passing through your system causes.

Presumably neurological damage requires threshold blood levels.

It might be time to move this thread to the optics forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do it. For the children....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
[quote=BWalkerThat study tested blood levels, which is one indicator of exposure, but not of neurological damage that lead passing through your system causes.

Seems to me IF you know that there is little or no lead in the blood, then the possibility of neurological damage isn't very likely. It is like saying you don't have a bullet hole in your body, but you are still going to die from lead. Sorry, but there is not enough evidence or positive studies that show eating game killed with lead bullets causes lead poisoning in the human body. In fact based on past history and evidence of the use of lead bullets for a hundred years +, it clearly shows the opposite.

I keep thinking back when eggs were considered very bad for cholesterol. Caffeine was bad and caused cancer, red wine was bad for you. All those have been debunked. Think of all the prescription drugs doctors reccomend and yet the side effects are worse than what they are suppose to cure. We put things in our body everyday that are not the best choices,but they don't kill us. My father worked in coal mines for 25+ years and had Black Lung and suffered strokes.He lived to be 93.My sister who never smoked,didn't drink died of cancer when she was 44. My DIL has just finished radiation treatment for breast cancer, she is about as straight as a person could be.There is a hell of a lot of things that a person could be worrying about in their life Using lead bullets is way down on that scale

[/quote]
Lead moves in and out of the system, so a blood test is just a snap shot in time and doesn't really tell you anything about the damage done. So for instance someone ate pain chips on a regular basis as a child. A blood test taken 20 years latter woukdnt tell you anything of value, because the exposure happened years before and the lead ingested them woukd have been excreted.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
saddlesore,

Presumably neurological damage requires threshold blood levels.

At the time of exposure.
A blood test also doesn't indicate how much lead is stored in your bones and soft tissues.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/26/17.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,308
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.