Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Born and bred TEXANS living along the coastline and who know about these rodeos don't need to be told what or how to do! But there's probably a large gap betwixt a 'Houstonite' and a real/live born and bred TEXAN.....if you're gettin my drift!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There is no correct or right answer.

And debating politics at this time is not what people in Houston need at this time, whatever their political affiliation is. It sounds like a lot of good people are doing what they can under unimagenable circumstances without checking voter registration cards..

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am just amazed as to why people feel compelled to wait for some government bureaucrat to tell them what to do in order to save their own hide. How about looking at the big picture yourself, judging the danger and making your OWN decision/ granted their are exceptions such as nursing homes, hospitals, etc, but I'm not waiting on the government to tell he how to save myself of my family.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The last damn place I would want to be is in a big city.........even during nice weather.

I assume that just because it is difficult to evacuate a major city, it is not impossible.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The only thing that is stupid is anyone that would make decisions about their lives and that of their families based on what a mayor or governor says.

Sheep need to be told where the pens are. shocked

90% of people cannot think for themselves.

Yep, remember Katrina.

What if only half had been able to get out. Which group would you prefer to be in?

Color me gone.
wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Has President Trump been officially blamed for this yet?

If not it is surely coming. Prolly sumthin like, maybe if he wasn't playing on twitter the citizens of Huston wouldn't be in this mess.

Wait for it.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's headed there on Tuesday..oh you know he's going to get blamed. But with the mayor being on tape saying stay in place be pretty hard to pin it on Trump.. I imagine couple more days federal troops will be called in and air cav from hood will be sent in with the blackhawks to help folks..

Last edited by 79S; 08/28/17.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't half the population of New Orleans end up in Houston after Katrina?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I am just amazed as to why people feel compelled to wait for some government bureaucrat to tell them what to do in order to save their own hide. How about looking at the big picture yourself, judging the danger and making your OWN decision/ granted their are exceptions such as nursing homes, hospitals, etc, but I'm not waiting on the government to tell he how to save myself of my family.

I'll go out this limb and say: those same people were also waiting for the government to pay for their evacuation. "if they ain't payin for it, I reckon I'll just drown" whistle

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing that is stupid is anyone that would make decisions about their lives and that of their families based on what a mayor or governor says.

How the hell else are we supposed to know what to do unless the government or media tells us?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That incompetent mayor could have at least evacuated nursing homes in flood prone areas.

I'm better when I move.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Yep!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My girlfriend owns four rental houses in Asheville NC. These are real nice, 3 and 4 br brick ranch style houses in suburban neighborhoods.
I just happened that during Katrina, we had a vacancy in one of those houses. A couple showed up in Asheville, were staying with their son, they were getting away from Katrina. So we rented them that house, and they stayed there for a year.

This guy was real sharp he was a retired university professor.
So one day I was over there painting the porch, I got to talking with the guy, and I asked him "Did you get trapped in New Orleans and have to be evacuated?"

He looked at me like I was a fool. He said "No, we saw on the Weather Channel that a hurricane was going to hit our city. We packed up the car and left for Asheville 2 days before the storm hit."

I heard a report on the radio yesterday from Victoria Texas. The hurricane ran right over Victoria, it is about 50 miles inland.
This report said that there is only one gas station open in Victoria, and the line of cars is 1/2 mile long!
Talk about stupid! I knew, five days ago, that the hurricane was going to smash Victoria. If you didn't have the brains to get out of town, you didn't even have the brains to fill your tank last Wednesday, or Thursday, when there were 50 gas stations up and running?
Give me a break.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, people do stupid things in these conditions - like fighting over bottled water in stores instead of filling containers from the tap in their home in preparation. As to the Mayor of Houston, I didn't much like him when he was a state representative, and I do not live in Houston, but I think he is doing a MUCH better job than the lesbian he replaced. As Kaywoodie stated, the evacuation for Rita was a cluster-you-know-what! I got caught in that one, and I was trying to go to deep East Texas, never got near Houston. We were very lucky a bunch of people weren't stuck in traffic when the storm hit - and killed! That is one reason we (my wife and I) didn't evacuate this time - rather die at home, if I have to die.

Mayor Turner's statement was that it is very difficult to safely and quickly evacuate 6.5 million people. Hospitals, nursing homes, etc. were exceptions. No one suggested keeping those folks in possible harms way.

This was/is not a "normal" storm, the track forecasts were never exact, and changed very often and quickly. When we fled ahead of Rita, we fought - literally - our way through traffic to my parents home above Beaumont, woke up the next morning to evacuation orders from there, then took a very round-about and tedious route to Dallas, finally coming in there on the highway from Shreveport, La. In retrospect, we could have stayed home, had no damage while we were gone - BUT, at the time we left the forecast had the storm making landfall in my backyard! The little town my parents lived in far from the coast suffered extensive damage, however.

I've lived on the Texas coast my entire 67 years, seen a few storms in that time, lost boats, trucks, had homes flooded. It is what it is.

Mike

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like a good region not to settle if it's that problematic. I wouldn't choose that kind of thing but I know how life happens so best to you all stuck down in that storm. Be safe.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Houston has some of the worst traffic in the state of Texas on a sunny day! I can't even imagine what a cluster it would have been if even half of the city and surrounding area tried to evacuate amidst torrential downpours. It would have been a disaster of epic proportions.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 79S
Well next time folks will know what do i.e. Get the hell out of town...

Sadly, it's always "next time", lessons learned the hard way.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It could have been worse. Imagine if this had been the scene when the flood waters started rolling in. This was the Rital evacuation.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIUxIwzUEAEp46m?format=jpg[/img]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Could have been worse you say? It ain't over by a loooong shot.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hastings
I thought the mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana was the stupidest sounding mayor of a major city. Now I see and hear that she has serious competition in Houston. I believe that our darker citizens elect these clowns to stick it in our eye. In the nearest city to me we had a black man run against the most ignorant loud mouthed wench to ever hold a city council seat. Her opponent was well spoken, an attorney, a retired military officer, and well regarded by the community at large. But he ran in a district where these attributes were not appreciated and lost the election. To describe this council woman think of more ignorant, ugly, and loud mouthed than Maxine Waters.

Couldn't be any worse than Shiela Jackass Lee. All mouth and no brains.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.