Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
St Martin is getting pounded right now. Looks like the east coast of FL is now the most at risk.

That's a great link Earl. Thanks

Last edited by byc; 09/06/17.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems to me that if Lincoln shredded the constitution then it must be OK. I mean the old war monger is held up as an icon. He's like the fourth member of the Trinity. Why do you think they always look back to him as an example?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt
They're all dangerous. But over the last few years, I've gotten really tired of dealing with hurricanes. I'm always prepped and provisioned. It's not just that. Wilma kicked our ass after Katrina. It ran up on the other side of the state into the Gulf and took a swipe at MX, and then proceeded to blow down trees all the way across the Everglades before it beat us up here.

Been through so damn many of these things I don't readily remember their names any more. 49 years in FL. Maybe it's time to go. In the meantime, still have to finish up the rest of the hurricane shutters. Was putting them up in the dark until 9:30. Still have to get everything inside, too, like grills and chairs and tables and all the other stuff outside.

I left in 1995 , thought briefly about living in the Panhandle after retiring but now don't think that will even work. Hang in there

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jorgeI
fook this fooking state. It's like playing Russian Roulette every year with this garbage. we are set here, generators "op-checked" and running, fuel stocks full, plywood for windows ready, etc. We are forty miles inland from the coast, but still, way too many trees around my house.

LMFAO....no state is worth that , plenty of other better places to live. That said I bet the wind slows down considerably before it hits FL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure what Florida's building codes are, but we're in a high wind area and houses are required to be designed for 120 mph gusts. The interesting thing is I was talking to my builder and he said to meet the wind loads requires more substantial structure and tie in to the foundation than the seismic loads.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Zerk
Unless you are working on the sea, a bartender, or whore, why would you live on a coast?

You continue to impress.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Strongest models now have it curving out into the Atlantic by the time it gets to central and northern Florida, only hitting the eastern coastline with the outer arms. This is good news.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you are working on the sea, a bartender, or whore, why would you live on a coast?

Seriously? Gees.

Lots of reasons to live on the coast. All these storms and such are just something you plug into your decision making process. My big part of that would not be the storms, it would be that their are typically just too many damned people. Give me a secluded lake in the woods over an ocean any day.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few random comments.

One way of attaching metal storm shutters is to have have bolts or screws extending outward from the corners of the windows and halfway along the sides if it's a big window. The metal shutter is sized to fit and has corresponding holes which fit over the bolts and are held in place by hex or wing nuts. The attachment points are unobtrusive and don't spoil any architectural design but the shutters do make the house really dark.

Every area has its good and bad points. Why would anybody live in NE or KS or OK with tornadoes constantly coming along killing people, or Hawaii with those volcanoes or put up with those bitter cold winters (which happen every single year like clockwork) in the Dakotas or Minnesota? Folks go for the good and adapt to and overcome the bad. Idaho is a great place most all year long - it doesn't get too awful cold but does get kind of hot in summer. Boise in particular was rated something like the 2nd safest place in the nation for weather disasters (as long as the Yellowstone caldera doesn't blow), but this morning the smoke from fires is so thick you can’t see 300 yards and it stings your eyes to be outside for any length of time. Oh well, at least it’s not a hurricane or tornado.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Not sure what Florida's building codes are, but we're in a high wind area and houses are required to be designed for 120 mph gusts. The interesting thing is I was talking to my builder and he said to meet the wind loads requires more substantial structure and tie in to the foundation than the seismic loads.

[Linked Image]

Probably the toughest codes in the country with regard to wind, they learned their lesson from Andrew

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Dropped on your head at birth? Ever think that some people have lived their entire lives there and love living there. FL is not for everyone especially with big hurricanes bearing down on you but the rest of the time it is a very special place. I have a lot of fond memories from living there .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Dropped on your head at birth? Ever think that some people have lived their entire lives there and love living there. FL is not for everyone especially with big hurricanes bearing down on you but the rest of the time it is a very special place. I have a lot of fond memories from living there .

To each his own. I've been to Florida a couple times. I saw nothing that interested me. Same thing for Texas. Eastern Tennessee, Western North or South Carolina or northern Georgia is about as far as I want to go. I mean the highest point in Florida is 345 feet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Terry
Hate to say it but I bet we could find posts from you saying this exact thing about getting the Hell out after every storm you have weathered...

wink

Wouldn't have expected anything less from you.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just saw some videos from the Virgin Islands. Did not look good. Not good at all. And now they're saying this is definitely bigger and badder than Andrew. Oh man!

Be ready guys 'cos this one could require the extra diligence. I say get out if you're able.

Godspeed and please let the rest of us know what you need!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

To each his own. I've been to Florida a couple times. I saw nothing that interested me. Same thing for Texas. Eastern Tennessee, Western North or South Carolina or northern Georgia is about as far as I want to go. I mean the highest point in Florida is 345 feet.

Yet you live in Ohio grin Plenty of Ohio Residents on Floridas west coast don't agree with you.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I could handle Ohio, though too hot for me in the summer

Some of it is what you are used to. A woman grows up in an abusive household, sometimes ends up marrying into another.

Common saying up here, we can live with the snow, we don't have floods or hurricanes. Snow can collapse a building, but it is out of neglect, or under built.

What I find F'd up is the people who say the stores ran out of plywood. I keep my snow shovel in summer, and rake in the winter. Reading above about shutters. That seems the way to go. But we forgot about them. Maybe don't want to be reminded of it. Like looking at a corpse in the yard.

There was also a time, people didn't build in flood plains. But communites have sprawled.

With my job, I could live where I want. LIke many, family plays into it a bit, but the heat is enough to keep me out. I used to work in mills. But they paid me to be in biblical heat.

Maybe man was meant to migrate with the seasons.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I could handle Ohio, though too hot for me in the summer

Some of it is what you are used to. A woman grows up in an abusive household, sometimes ends up marrying into another.

Common saying up here, we can live with the snow, we don't have floods or hurricanes. Snow can collapse a building, but it is out of neglect, or under built.

There was also a time, people didn't build in flood plains. But communites have sprawled.

Maybe man was meant to migrate with the seasons.

sometimes a statement gets made on the internet that might hold a grain of truth.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Been through a few, don't like it too much. I went through Cleveland Tex this A M on way to deer lease. Crap piled in ditches, just like where I work. Lots of people hurt by Harvey!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Stupid question for those on the coast.
I see and hear of plywood and shutters.
What do you attach them to? Do your
homes have some kind of anchor points?
Or do you have to have wood trim that you
just screw into? Just wondering how that is
done, without ugly hardware on the house, or
ruining the trim.

Dillonbuck, the hurricane shutters like mine have to be manually put up and manually taken down. They are corrugated panels. The upper part of the panel fits in a track approx. 2 1/4" wide. The bottom of the panels are usually attached 1 of 2 ways - with threaded bolts that you slide down a track to correspond with holes punched in the corners of each panel, or a 90 degree piece of angle iron attached to the wall with intermittent threaded bolts already set with spacing to correspond with the distance between the holes on the bottom corners of the panels.

The nicest ones are permanently attached to the block walls and open and close like an accordion. Commonly called accordion shutters.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.