Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys,

Over the years this forum has been my favorite because it is a topic I love and trolls don't come here. Also, I enjoy conversing with the characters who show up here.

With that , a bunch of you Bastids are making plans and going on safari and not sharing the exciting leading up to the event or the hunt adequately. I am challenging you to up your game and give us the juicy info. African safari is one hunt that we can all enjoy vicariously. This forum has been too quiet the last few years. You phoucers have been sneaking around on us lately.

I mean damn Sam, Jorge got invited to attend the Selous Scouts reunion as their guest and he has humbly declined (against my urging 👍🍺) but let's all share some African fun. I'm tired of schooling other boneheads about politics😉.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As a man of few words I head to Matetse on the 29th of this month for 12 days chasing a minimum of buffalo and sable. I am thinking a bushbuck will be an adder. Has Jorge hunted the Selous?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ed, time to loosen up your tongue or keyboard. You can be exuberent and brag here.

No, Jorge hasn't done Selous. I hunted Rungwa and would love to hunt Selous.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Hatari; your opening post is valid, so I will join in.

No firm plans at the moment but I am in conversation with Patrick Fletcher of Hotfire safaris in the eastern cape about a trip in 2019, hunted with Patrick in 2015. Thoughts are a buffalo on one of the population control hunts in one of the parks or reserves followed by plains game.

My daughter and her fiance are considering coming, every time I have hunted Africa in the past (2009, 2015, 2016) my daughter has asked if she could come. My response has been "sure, just stroke the cheque", when we talked about this trip she is now looking at finances and may come.

The hunt would be followed by touring heading east and north from the eastern cape. The buffalo is a key part of the hunt and plans will change / adapt to ensure a good quality buffalo hunt.

The above is why I asked on another post about the 280 grain Rhino bullet in .375 H&H.

I have put in an order for Weatherby Vanguard DGR in .375 H&H after much deliberation and thought. The plan is to get lots of practice with the rifle and to get at least one Alberta hunting season in with the rifle prior to hunting buffalo with it.

More details with follow as plans solidify.

All the best.

George

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi guys, not anything planned, but I am talking with Johnny Vivier of Wintershoek for a combo Selous Scouts/Rorke's Drift/sable buff hunt in 2019. That's all I have so far.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After returning from my first trip to Africa earlier this year, I discovered that everyone was correct in that your thoughts constantly wander back to planning a return trip. Been spending too much time on this and other forums reading about Africa, different places to hunt and reading hunt reports over on AR. Purchased my second 375 H&H. Not sure why I needed it, but when FOsteology put his AHR up for sale I just had to have it.

Got a wild hair a couple weeks ago and just decided I needed to back sooner than later. Of course my wife said "You should go."

Decided I need to hunt buffalo with John Sharp. After a series of emails and a short telephone conversation, I'm scheduled for next August....Now all I have to do is wait the excruciatingly long 11 months and work up a load for the 300gr A-Frame:)

Do or do not, there is no try.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NDHuntr

Got a wild hair a couple weeks ago and just decided I needed to back sooner than later. Of course my wife said "You should go."

Good woman. Keep her!

Decided I need to hunt buffalo with John Sharp. After a series of emails and a short telephone conversation, I'm scheduled for next August....Now all I have to do is wait the excruciatingly long 11 months and work up a load for the 300gr A-Frame:)

Good decision. You will have a great hunt with one of Africa's classic characters.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRF

The above is why I asked on another post about the 280 grain Rhino bullet in .375 H&H.

I have put in an order for Weatherby Vanguard DGR in .375 H&H after much deliberation and thought. The plan is to get lots of practice with the rifle and to get at least one Alberta hunting season in with the rifle prior to hunting buffalo with it.

More details with follow as plans solidify.

All the best.

George

George, on your other post you wrote "350" and "380". Typos for 250 and 280?

Thats why I wrote a "350" Barnes is loooong!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'll play. I actually was to depart for Dar es Salaam the 16th of this month. I have/had a 21 day full license with Wayne Grant in his new Lwafi/Katavi block in Tanzania. I lack EA Eland EA Sitatunga and a Topi to get all the species there (Minus the Maasai) I am fighting a pretty severe cycling injury right now and had to postpone by one year. So, this time next year i'll be there. My booking agent (Adventures Unlimited) was able to fill my spot with another client this year.

Been talking to my agent about a Forest Sitatunga safari in 2019. That would give me all three Sitatunga, which is difficult. Problem is, those outfitters all want Bongo/LDE prices to go, even though I have both and want to focus exclusively on Forest Sitatunga.

Near future, perhaps Ethiopia for Mt Nyala/Meneliks Bushbuck and the desert species (essentially the same as Maasai)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
hatari,

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a check for a deposit on what will likely be the last safari to Africa for myself and my wife.

This hunt will be in SA, for 7 of the Tiny Ten species, after a number of earlier trips for plains and dangerous game. Even though the hunt is still 11 months away, the planning has already begun!

Equipment:
After talking to my PH, I have decided on taking my .30-06, and FMJ ammo for it. My PH had initially recommended my .375 and solids, but I really want to take something with less weight, less recoil, and that is very accurate with my chosen ammo, and my Browning X-Bolt fills that bill very nicely. I have it topped with a Leupold 3-9x CDS scope, which will allow for longer shots in the mountain areas for Klipspringer, Reedbuck, and Vaal Rheebok. My PH has a shotgun for use on close-range, little stuff like the Blue Duiker. All-up with scope, rings, and sling, this rifle weighs in at 7.5#, and is a breeze to carry. My PH has a soft case in camp, and shooting sticks, so no need to pack this stuff. A spare scope, sighted in, wrenches for scope rings and bases and action screws, lube, and a Bore Snake, all will go along. Since a fair amount of shooting is anticipated, soft ear plugs will be thrown in the pack, also for checking rifle zero once in camp..

I think the Leica Geovid 10x42's will once again go along on this hunt. The ability to find small game at distance, and quickly range it, has proven to be invaluable over the years I have owned the Leicas.

Clothing:
After 4 previous hunts to Africa, my hunt closet is already equipped with all the appropriate clothing I will need for this hunt. Thankfully, I am still at the same weight as I was on the last trip! The amount of clothing we take along seems to diminish with every trip- there is almost always laundry service wherever your camp is.

Trip preparations for travel, logistics, etc:
I will probably use the same travel agency I have used in the past to get travel arrangements, airline reservations, Meet and Greet, travel insurance, gun permit information, etc. in order. I have already contacted them, and next month will begin the airline reservation part of the process.
I will need new Form 4457 documents for my rifle, scopes, binocs, etc. but will not get these for a couple months before departure- I need to get the rifle, ammo, scope, etc. thoroughly wrung out before I commit them to a document I cannot easily change.
I need to talk to my taxidermist, let him know that the trip is coming up, and get tags from him to attach to hides, horns, etc. once game is taken.
A visit to my cell phone provider store is in order, to make sure my wife and I can use our cell phones internationally without incurring monster charges. We already have SA plugs for electrical outlets, from previous trips.
Gun case and luggage are pretty well set, also from a number of international trips in the past. Passports are fairly recently renewed, with lots of blank pages just waiting to be filled.

My wife and I are in good health (for our age, of course!), but as the hunt draws near, I will be stepping up my exercise regimen to include climbing up and down the cliffs near our home.

We hope to be able to spend a day in Jeffreys Bay at the end of the hunt, and possibly do a day of deep-sea fishing before returning home. My wife fell in love with the JB area on our last safari, and wants to go live there. I'm not quite up for that, not yet anyway.

hatari, back to your original thoughts about sharing events leading up to the hunt- these are a few of the things that will be occupying my thoughts over the next 11 months! I have always found the preparation and anticipation to be a vital part of any hunt, especially these African excursions. Will also be studying each of the animals I intend to hunt, their habits, habitat, hunt techniques, etc. to at least be partially prepared for what is coming.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Hatari; I am talking about a 380 grain bullet they are made is RSA and Kevin Robertson is very keen them.

please see the link below.

http://rhinobullets.co.za/solid-shank/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post. Care to share clothing recommendations? Haven't found a pair of quiet cotton pants I'm completely satisfied with. Used some Columbia Roc II hiking pants last time that worked ok but looking for options.

Had been thinking it was too early to talk with travel agency, but maybe should give them a call sooner rather than later.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRF
Hatari; I am talking about a 380 grain bullet they are made is RSA and Kevin Robertson is very keen them.

please see the link below.

http://rhinobullets.co.za/solid-shank/

Thanks for the link.

It IS a loooong bullet!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Planning my first DG hunt (Buffalo) for 2019. Hope to also bump into a few targets of opportunity - Livingstone Eland, a big Kudu (I say big because I have a 48 and a 50), Hyena would be cool, a snorter Warthog.

Venue will be the BVC. Plan to book with John Sharp. I have several buddies who are talking with me concerning trying to make this trip...so may be a group hunt with up to 4 guys. That would be something if we can pull that off!

I will hunt with a Ruger No 1 Boddington Buffalo in 450-400 NE wearing a Skinner peep sight. Bullet will most likely be either an A-Frame or Northfork...400gr. I will target 2,200 to 2,300 fps. Most likely Fed 215 and IMR 4831...but lots of time to sort that out. I have 3 or 4 powders on my bench that can achieve the target velocity.

I am a real wussie when it comes to hot weather hunting, but also don't want the vegetation so thick and tall that it hampers hunting to the extreme. Compromise will probably mean target dates are mid-July to mid-August?

I have enjoyed corresponding with John over the past year. He is obviously a wealth of knowledge on hunting DG in general and the BVC in particular. Just getting to hunt with him will be an honor. I believe I could also say that about quite a few of the PHs in Southern Africa.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Started looking around for a tuskless hunt in Aug; leave in a few weeks for Zimbabwe with CMS.

Good luck to all hunting this year and those planning a trip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes wife made the decision, so go!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Funny thing but a few days ago my wife mentioned a trip back to SA with who we used in 2002. Just a fun trip where we celebrated her birthday and our 15th anniversary. I hunted various plains game and waterfowl. I am thinking a bit of plains game, bushbuck and the smaller antelope, bird hunting and some fishing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lost a thousand dollars on a plains game hunt I put a deposit on, and couldn't make, several years ago.

Still interested in going, but spent my hunt money on Alaska this year.

Maybe in a couple of years?

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good post. Care to share clothing recommendations? Haven't found a pair of quiet cotton pants I'm completely satisfied with. Used some Columbia Roc II hiking pants last time that worked ok but looking for options.

Had been thinking it was too early to talk with travel agency, but maybe should give them a call sooner rather than later]
[quote=NDHuntr]Good post. Care to share clothing recommendations? Haven't found a pair of quiet cotton pants I'm completely satisfied with. Used some Columbia Roc II hiking pants last time that worked ok but looking for options.

Had been thinking it was too early to talk with travel agency, but maybe should give them a call sooner rather than later.

I tried and liked the Cabelas 7 pocket hiker pant.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Was looking at them last night. They are on sale but colors available aren't right. Hopefully they aren't getting rid of them and better colors will be available later.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Gonna go for a month or two next year. End of season safari. Got a PH and I will load up the land cruiser and head for the bush. There are always leftover tags that can be had at stupid cheap prices. Basic camp real remote. Tigerfish hitting great in October. Now, know this, temps will be in the 120s! Some can't handle hot Scotch with no ice and black mambas. Cool way to see the expensive areas you only read about.. Gonna bring my 6.5x55swede and a 12 ga. For myself. Gonna bring him as a gift a 375 and some kind of plains game rig. All legal, done it many time before. The real bitch is the 11pounds of ammo. A box of #6 is heavy. Guess I can get by with 2 boxes of swede. Rest will be 375.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zengela
Gonna go for a month or two next year. End of season safari. Got a PH and I will load up the land cruiser and head for the bush. There are always leftover tags that can be had at stupid cheap prices. Basic camp real remote. Tigerfish hitting great in October. Now, know this, temps will be in the 120s! Some can't handle hot Scotch with no ice and black mambas. .

Where? You are right about hot in October. Went to Zambia once in early October. 105+ degrees midday sux! Nights were tolerable to sleep. Hotter than that and you're paying to be miserable. wink

6.5 Swede is one of my favorites. What bullet you using?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks. Was looking at them last night. They are on sale but colors available aren't right. Hopefully they aren't getting rid of them and better colors will be available later.

I have a couple pair of cargo pants style from Levi's. Very comfortable. One pair is khaki color, the other is a sage green.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Got back 3 weeks ago from a quick trip to the RSA. Looking at Namibia in 2020 for a non-trophy elephant bull.

Hatari, who you hunting with in Zambia next year?

He went over yonder way
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Johnny DuPlooy and Machinga Safaris. Known him
For 25 years. This will be my third Safari with him.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm hoping to do a buff in Zambia eventually and they are on my short list.

He went over yonder way
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by hatari
Johnny DuPlooy and Machinga Safaris. Known him
For 25 years. This will be my third Safari with him.

Hi Hatari.

I hunted with Muchinga, 6 years straight. I've hunted both Chanjuzi and Nyaminga for pretty much all the species there. I also have hunted their Tondwa concession twice. It is in far NE Zambia right up near Tanzania and Congo. If you haven't been to Tondwa, It was like a Garden of Eden. Roan, Livingstone Eland, Blue Duiker, Puku, Sable, and of course, its headliner, the Sitatunga. I killed the largest Sable, Muchinga ever killed there. It was 44.5 inches and black as coal. I did a full mount of that bull. Absolutely an amazing wild piece of Africa.

I want to go to hunt their new concession that borders Nyaminga called Chifunda. When I was hunting the Luangwa, the PH running Chifunda was an American guy named PJ Fouche.

Did you get to go to the Kafue Flats and Bangweulu for the Lechwes?

I personally believe Zambia to be the finest hunting country in all of Africa.

What are you going to hunt and which concession?

Fantastic outfitter, soup to nuts.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 09/11/17.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Chifunda, so looking forward to it.

Did Kafue 25 years ago when Johnny and I both practically had peach fuzz. I think I was his first American client.showed up in customs with some nasty stomach bug I got in RSA and spent a. couple of days in bed at his parents house. This was before he married Laura. We never got to Bangweulu. Fished lake Karba.

I like Zambia because after they got rid of Kaunda the country took off. They embraced capitalism, and they make an effort (by African standards) to clean up some of the corruption.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't put it off too long. At age 58, I put aside enough in an account to pay for a plains game safari, (and maybe a buffalo), transportation, and incidentals. Then I screwed around being busy. At 72, my heart went south. A hundred yards is a "hike."

If you have the finances, health, and desire, just do it. I wish I had gone when I could have.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/20/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jt402
Don't put it off too long. At age 58, I put aside enough in an account to pay for a plains game safari, (and maybe a buffalo), transportation, and incidentals. Then I screwed around being busy. At 72, my heart went south. A hundred yards is a "hike."

If you have the finances, health, and desire, just do it. I wish I had gone when I could have.

Jack

I agree.
When you're young you don't have any money.
When you are middle aged, you may have some money and no time.
When you are old and have money you may not have your health.

If you get to the point where you have some extra money and some extra time, go to Africa. It's an amazing experience.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed again on all that JG, I've even read, "You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time or health, Go Now!"

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am making plans just now. Will arrive JNB 01 Nov. Going to Kalahari on RSA-Botswana border. Red rolling sand dunes with grass and red rimrock sort of like flat Sedona. Then to Aranos in Namibia and then to Beitbridge area. Going to try a 25-06 on plains game. This is something like #23, lost track. Would need to count using old passports.
Don't much care what I hunt, just like being there banging around in a hunting car. Would like a really monster warthog more than anything.
May go up into Zambia can't say just yet.
I would like to find a 12-14 yo bull buffalo, an ancient old-timer. Unlikely on this trip however. Would use a 416 for that.

Last edited by RinB; 09/21/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jt402

Jack

Another "agree" here.

I did it when I was younger, and could barely squeeze the finances out....and now that Im in my mid-60s words cannot express how glad I am that I did it!

I'd forego it today just because of the hassles of airline travel... but for those of you motivated enough, I promise not would be worth putting up with the hassles, theres nothing like Africa!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I've done the vanilla safaris. Namibia, Zimbabwe, RSA, Zambia, Mozambique, Tanzania etc..... My mom is not doing well, and the family sitdown about the will went well. I'm gonna use portion of funds for a true jungle hunt. Bongo and forest elephant. Gonna make a 20 inch 458 or 416 for point blank encounters. I'm 44, and health is starting to suffer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MAGA!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot a Buff in Zim last year in July. A Leopard this spring in Namibia. I leave in a week for Kyrgyzstan for a Mid Asian Ibex. My next hunt after that will be an Ele.

Last edited by Slider1; 09/24/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's cool to read the stories, and plans, and regrets here. I concur, you should go as soon as you can if you have the desire to do so.

I went in '15, pretty much as soon as I wanted to. I was 60, in decent shape, and for the first time in my life able to afford it. I didn't really want to go until then, in large part because I simply don't daydream about doing things that I can't make happen... so since I knew I couldn't afford the time or the money, I just didn't entertain the possibility. As soon as it became a possibility though, I went. And I don't regret a minute or a dollar spent at it.

I'm looking at a couple of options for '18 or '19. Three, actually. Easiest option is a plains game hunt in RSA with one of our 24HCF members who is an outfitter there. I could round out my spiral horn collection, get a bigger kudu, etc. Second option is a buffalo/eland hunt in Zambia with Sharp. Third option is a private hunt with a good friend who has superb connections there, and it would be a foursome, he and I and our wives. Dunno which is going to come together, but it will be one of them.

I really don't want to hunt anything but buffalo, to be honest. I'd really like to get a truly massive old dugga boy, well above 40". Those are hard hunts, I know, but that's really the only thing that excites me while I'm here. I know I'll be excited about other things when I get there. I didn't get my eland last time, and I didn't book for sable... a good mature bull of either species would be nice, but only if bagging one could be done without compromising the buffalo.

We shall see.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll likely go back. Another year or two? Need a Bushbuck, Nyala, some form of Wildebeest, and of course a Springbok. Possibly others. A bigger Kudu would be nice, something in the 55"+ range. Would definitely go back with same safari as before. Critical to going would be getting a group together. Hanging around the fire at night, riding in the truck together at times are all a part of the trip.

NTO Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I leave for Mozambique in 9 days to hunt Buffalo and croc or anything else that I think I need. To say I am excited is a understatement the group that just got back said easily over 1000 buffalo where spotted during 7 days.
Have a group going in June 2018. I believe I have one more spot for the group to hunt 2+1 with us. It will be my 4th RSA trip taking the wife for her first safari. Doing all this hunting with JP Kleinhans.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Called Gracey Travel. Told them to book me ATL to Mfume, Zambia. July 2018!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a few more that I would like to hunt and then I am done. Not worth the hassles, especially JNB.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 09/28/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
YOU SUCK

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
YOU SUCK

Love you too! wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im waiting for a direct flight to be established between the states and Windhoek. Id like to go shoot a bunch of smaller stuff ( Impala, blesbok, springbok, hartebeest etc) with the .223AI! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hatari, I apologize for the lack of enthusiasm lately for reasons you fully understand. I am still running a very successful and safe Safari operation in RSA, with some specialty hunts in other locations.

Recently A young PH I have hired in the past has struck out on his own and has some hunting price levels that I have not seen since the early 90's. He is hunting on lands that are family owned and never sport hunted. Or at least not sport hunted in my 25 year career here!

It's not a 5 star operation, although it meets all international hunter requirements set by the RSA government and PHASA. Its a nice camp with perfectly clean functional accommodations, it's not "luxury" as is the case on some of my other locations.

If anyone becomes interested in a startup hunting operation with a young guy very hungry to please everyone hunting with him to create a successful return clientele I can set this up! I would vouch for his integrity and his Skills as a PH. He is in the Elisrass area northern Province and provides all pickup and return to the Joburg Airport.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I gave dad a .416 Rigby and booked us a trip to Zimbabwe back in 2007, figuring he wasn't getting any younger. We went in 2008. Didn't realize I'd be the one having a stroke 10 years later. Glad we went though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After much reading, listening and digesting of info, I bought a hunt in Namibia at one of the local SCI chapters earlier this year. The price I paid included daily fees for the hunter and one observer, an Eland, Gemsbok, Impala and warthog, with other game available at the PHs published trophy fee rate. The could be taken anytime in '17 or '18. At this point I'm looking at fulfilling the journey in '18. I've had feelers out to friends and fellow hunter but haven't found anyone that wants to spend the ~$2K for airfare and come as an observer, even thought they could pay the difference in daily fees between the observer and hunter and shoot desired species for the cost of trophies fees. Other than setting the date, making airline reservations, everything is in order.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Hatari, I apologize for the lack of enthusiasm lately for reasons you fully understand. I am still running a very successful and safe Safari operation in RSA, with some specialty hunts in other locations.

Recently A young PH I have hired in the past has struck out on his own and has some hunting price levels that I have not seen since the early 90's. He is hunting on lands that are family owned and never sport hunted. Or at least not sport hunted in my 25 year career here!

It's not a 5 star operation, although it meets all international hunter requirements set by the RSA government and PHASA. Its a nice camp with perfectly clean functional accommodations, it's not "luxury" as is the case on some of my other locations.

If anyone becomes interested in a startup hunting operation with a young guy very hungry to please everyone hunting with him to create a successful return clientele I can set this up! I would vouch for his integrity and his Skills as a PH. He is in the Elisrass area northern Province and provides all pickup and return to the Joburg Airport.

Good Morning JJ.

When I began my Africa hunting, I was fortunate to meet a young PH that sounds very much like the young man you describe. He was hunting for Phillip Bronkhorst at the time. We hunted together twice and as happens, a friendship blossomed. His Uncle had a private "hobby farm" that was never sport hunted.

You may know of the farm in Elisrass (Steenbokpan) the original property was called "Vitvogelfontien". His uncle continued to buy connecting farms and is now something like 15,000 Hectares. I was able to hunt it as a family friend and we had many good times, I even brought my wife and young son a coupe times. My wife shot her very first animal there as well.

The klipspringer genetics in that area are amazing. My friend (Pieter) picked up a skull that would have been the world record. Looked like a Vaal Rhebok!!

My first trip was 1999, there have been many since. I truly envy those who are still looking forward to going as much as I did back then. Those feeling can never be replicated. Cherish them.

Pieter has moved on to being a farmer in the Golden Gate area. We still speak every couple months. His relationship is the only real "friendship" I have made in Africa. Our friendship outlasted his hunting career. Which speaks volumes.

Anyway, your post brought back some fond memories, thanks for that.

Steve

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I think it was Mario Andretti who said "if you're ever going to stand on it, stand on it now. The older you get, the slower you go".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's illegal to hunt Africans....damn it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another hats off to Debbie and the folks at Gracey Travel for help putting my trip together. I usually book the logistics all by myself, but multiple stops in multiple countries is suicide for connects sometimes, so IMHO worth their fee to have professional oversight,especiall with the gun issues these days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it to soon to contact someone for a trip next August? Gracey vs Travel With Guns?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No. Call them, I think they're both good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I call them a full year in advance, especially to get the better deals if you plan to use FF miles. Both Gracy (whom I use) and Steve are GREAT outfits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll get on it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
After a hard fall this spring and a bit of a spine injury and concussion i came to the conclusion life can be too short.

So with the encouragement of my wife I booked my first trip to Africa, a plains game hunt in Namibia.

Excitement doesnt begin to describe how i feel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you! Life is indeed too short. Go while you can.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bought the rifle for the hunt in 2002 i think, practised a fair bit with it since then.

It will be interesting to hunt in the heat, too used to the whitetail rut hunting here in November.
I can just imagine the kalahari will be a wee bit warmer than i am used to in march.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The wife and I are rapidly approaching the age where we will be starting to have (or try to have) kids. My friends who have kids have all said "If you thought you were broke now, wait until you have kids." My wife also says that when the kids are young, I will not be leaving her alone to go spend 2 weeks off in some foreign place. Seemed like a good reason to book a big trip.

As a birthday gift / pre-kids gift to myself, I booked a tuskless elephant hunt at the end of 2016 to be taken in 2018. I originally had planned to do a mountain animal hunt, but decided that an elephant was something I wanted and could potentially be something that 10-15 years down the road, due to societal views and the snowflake effect, would not be hunt-able. I paid my deposit at the 2017 DSC, met the outfitter, and ... well... uh, have pretty much just been waiting for 2018 since.

Exciting events that have occurred during the waiting process:

- Told family I booked an elephant hunt. Quickly learned not to tell everyone you're going elephant hunting. For example, my little brother's response was "Wow, that's awesome." My mother's response was "You're killing dumbo" followed by some tears. A much different response than the my Cape Buffalo hunt in 2011, which, as long as they weren't anti-hunting, was unanimously "cool, that sounds exciting."

- February I decided to finally get a nice stock for my CZ and ordered a McMillan. I ordered the brown paint, black specs, and a red pad with a 14.5" LOP. Somewhere during the process, I get an email saying that the red pad will not fit a stock that long and would I be okay with black. Well, given my recoil pad colors choices were the same as colors for the Ford Model T, black sounds great. Stock still looks great, but do wish I could have gotten a red recoil pad.

- September put me in the less-than-one-year-to-go mark, which meant it was time to start looking at flights. My final destination is Bulawayo (BUQ), which has 1 flight per day into it at 10:40 AM from Jo'berg (JNB). This poses a challenge as you either need to find a flight that lands in JNB really early or spend the night in South Africa and come back the next day. Similarly, on the way home, the BUQ to JNB flight lands at 2:40PM, which means you need a late flight out of JNB to connect home.

I had found a well priced Lufthansa flight, similar to what I took in 2011, that seemed to work for me. Travel Agent shot that one down as traveling anywhere through the EU with a rifle on to Zimbabwe was a no-go. Alright, so much for that idea, guess I've either got to fly from DFW to the east coast then to JNB, or fly DFW to somewhere in the gulf (Dubai, Doha, or Abu Dhabi) and then down to JNB. I have a strong dislike of pretty much all the USA based airline carriers as the level of service is horrible compared with the international airlines (actually I really hate flying in general as the seats are way too small for someone as tall as I am), so since I have the option to fly the "2017 Trip Advisor Airline of the Year," and they have a flight that works for all my connections, and I get to layover in place I always wanted to go, I'll be flying Emirates! Well, at least that is the plan, waiting to see if they run any specials to save me a few bucks or get me into business class. It's pretty much the only airline though that offers a flight that gets me to my final destination with enough layover time for bags and rifles to transfer. All the reviews I have heard about Emirates are great, so I am excited to use this airline as well as see Dubai during the layover.

And that folks is basically where I am at in the planning process. When I booked back in 2016, I was excited, but it was so far off it didn't really hit me (my bank account certainly noticed though). As we get closer, especially now that I can book my flights, I am getting that excitement I had back in 2011 before my buffalo hunt - I'm going to Africa again!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Sevens

I had found a well priced Lufthansa flight, similar to what I took in 2011, that seemed to work for me. Travel Agent shot that one down as traveling anywhere through the EU with a rifle on to Zimbabwe was a no-go. Alright, so much for that idea, guess I've either got to fly from DFW to the east coast then to JNB, or fly DFW to somewhere in the gulf (Dubai, Doha, or Abu Dhabi) and then down to JNB. I have a strong dislike of pretty much all the USA based airline carriers as the level of service is horrible compared with the international airlines (actually I really hate flying in general as the seats are way too small for someone as tall as I am), so since I have the option to fly the "2017 Trip Advisor Airline of the Year," and they have a flight that works for all my connections, and I get to layover in place I always wanted to go, I'll be flying Emirates! Well, at least that is the plan, waiting to see if they run any specials to save me a few bucks or get me into business class. It's pretty much the only airline though that offers a flight that gets me to my final destination with enough layover time for bags and rifles to transfer. All the reviews I have heard about Emirates are great, so I am excited to use this airline as well as see Dubai during the layover.

You are correct that you cannot fly from the EU with a gun to Zimbabwe on a single ticket. From DFW you could fly to JNB on Lufthansa or BA and then on a separate ticket fly on SAA to BUQ, but you would most likely be overnighting in JNB and have to get a RSA gun permit. Or take a risk and try for the 10:40 AM flight, but with Customs and Immigration, SAPS and then recheck the gun, doubtful.

You can also fly Emirates into Harare (HRE) and skip JNB and fly Air Zimbabwe to BUQ.

If there is space available the Emirates flight they will send you an e-mail about 2 days before your flight with a upgrade offer of $1000 from DFW to Dubai. I don't know the upgrade price from Dubai to JNB or HRE. But the upgrade does not come with lounge access or business class hotel and private car.. Coming home from Dubai, Business class makes for a good night sleep and a good meal. The food in Coach on DFW/Dubai is geared towards Indians. Coach will be at least 95% Indians.

If are collecting AA miles you also have the choice of Qatar Air into JNB, which you will earn AA miles too. You might also look for a credit card that will give you a Priority Pass. That will get you into lounges in DFW, Dubai, Doha, JNB, Harare and Bulawayo.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 10/08/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It seems that its easier to buy orange or pink pants than it is to buy men's regular cut green or brown non-camo durable pants. Here is where I bought pants for my son and I

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-shrike-tactical-pant.html

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-canvas-zip-off-pants-for-men

I hunted RSA with my high school age son this past August. It was the first time I have ever done it, and hopefully not the last. With the exception of the long flights it was an amazing experience and I am truly glad that I did it while my health is still OK. We flew from Milwaukee to Chicago O'Hare, then on to Munich for a few days before heading to JNB, then on to Polokwane. On the way home we went through Frankfurt instead of Munich.

The hunting was simply incredible. On our first afternoon in the bush I saw more game than I have in the last 20 years of deer hunting in Wisconsin. We took Impala, Bushbuk, Blesbuk, and Wildebeest.

Next time I go I want to do Sable or Kudu

Best wishes to all of you

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The wife and I are rapidly approaching the age where we will be starting to have (or try to have) kids. My friends who have kids have all said "If you thought you were broke now, wait until you have kids." My wife also says that when the kids are young, I will not be leaving her alone to go spend 2 weeks off in some foreign place. Seemed like a good reason to book a big trip.

From my experience with kids and knowing others with kids, the kids are an excuse for not doing things, but not the real cause. I've had all kinds of adventures while having kids, some with, some without the kids or whole family. Kids don't limit what you do. You limit what you do. Rest assured you will still be able to do great things after having kids.

I waited until my daughter was 8 days old before taking her on salmon fishing trips. Since then she hasn't held me back. I don't think I waited on anything with my son.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[/quote]

ND, I love these pants, and have taken them 3 times to Namibia. They are comfy, roomy, lightweight, and quiet. Hopefully you can find your size.

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Mens-Tacoma-Ripstop-Pant/dp/B00SIMRF0U?th=1

For shirts I like the Cabelas Serengeti safari shirts. Lots of pockets.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The Cabelas Safari shirts are also pretty damn good at repelling thorns without getting ripped.

Basic Carharrt duck jacket is also good in the thorn, especially on cold mornings!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Tom. I took one short sleeved Cabelas shirt to Namibia.........bad idea.......gave it to the tracker after one day wearing it. My arms looked like pit bulls had gotten ahold of me. I used the long sleeved versions happily ever after.

And I'm not sure what they call that low hanging limbed treebush, fishook thorn infested bastard, grab your freaking ear and try to shred it off of your head bush.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think ( if the thorns are curved..) its called "wait-a-bit' thorns..... On one trip I wore a Columbia bird shooters shirt, it got shredded on day one and I pulled a couple 3/4 inch thorns out of my shoulder...good times!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think Cabela's has discontinued their line of safari shirts.

And if you're looking for a lightweight, quiet cotton pant start looking at second hand stores. I bet you could find a pair of casual type pants that would work. Then just leave them behind when done. That's what my dad did on our first trip across the pond.

He went over yonder way
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thorns have tore me up to the point I wear long sleeved shirts and long pants. Rip stop BDU type work for me. Jungle weight if it's really hot. Also helps against tsetse. Those things suck miserably. I also wear shooting gloves in tsetse country - baseball batting gloves.

In South Africa on hunt I was wearing a short sleeve shirt made of heavy, durable cotton. An Acacia thorn ripped it in passing like a box cutter. Those things puncture tires, soles of boots and do rude things to your flesh. Hate those too!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Acacia is bad, but I'll take those any day of the week over the thorny locust (black locust) trees we have up this way!!!

He went over yonder way
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The thing no one mentioned for you first time hunters...riding in the open back of the truck under these thorn trees is a given...and the black staff doesn't necessarily warn you as you are standing there gawking......they get their kicks that way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm getting the itch to go back. I need a cape buff.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes you do Bob! and you have just the rifle for it!!!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
The thing no one mentioned for you first time hunters...riding in the open back of the truck under these thorn trees is a given...and the black staff doesn't necessarily warn you as you are standing there gawking......they get their kicks that way.

Then you are hunting with a second rate outfit. On my first trip 21 years ago, the trackers standing behind me in the back were continually reaching forward to shield my face from branches I I was too dumb to know what was about to rip my face off. I was too enthralled with all the critters I had never seen before and the guys saved me from my own stupidity. 14 safaris later I am better at spotting problems but the guys in back still protect me if I get careless- and this applies across 7-8 outfitters in 7 African countries.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jdollar

Then you are hunting with a second rate outfit. On my first trip 21 years ago, the trackers standing behind me in the back were continually reaching forward to shield my face from branches I I was too dumb to know what was about to rip my face off. I was too enthralled with all the critters I had never seen before and the guys saved me from my own stupidity. 14 safaris later I am better at spotting problems but the guys in back still protect me if I get careless- and this applies across 7-8 outfitters in 7 African countries.

My experience would be exactly the same. I've been whacked by stuff, but its been outside of the crews ability to keep me safe from myself. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the links JG and Smokey.

On another note, I called Gracey last week and left a message with the receptionist (actually talked with her after going thru automated call answering machine, leaving a message and her calling me back). I asked for Shawn Kennedy who was out that day and the receptionist said she would forward the message and she would get back to me. No call back so far. Not super impressed....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Welcome ND. If Gracy doesn't get back with you in a timely manner, give Steve at Travel With Guns a call. Their service is just as good, as I have used them both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was my thought as well. Thx.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
No experience with Gracey, but I booked my tickets last week with Patrick at Travel With Guns. I've used one other outfit and talked to another, TWG is head and shoulders above in customer service - very happy with them so far.

I did do a bit of searching on google flights ahead of time and just asked about those flights. Aside from their service fee, price I found on google flights was the price I paid. As has been said before, of flying with a rifle, it's nice to have a travel agent there for you if something goes wrong. The service fee bugged me last time right up until the day of my flight when I woke up to find my South Africa flight was 12 hours delayed and would make me miss my connection to Mozambique. Travel agent rerouted me through Germany and I arrived on time.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jdollar

Then you are hunting with a second rate outfit.

Thanks for lining me out on that...I would have never known after 6 safaris otherwise...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hi guys, not anything planned, but I am talking with Johnny Vivier of Wintershoek for a combo Selous Scouts/Rorke's Drift/sable buff hunt in 2019. That's all I have so far.

I hunted with Johnny V at his concession outside Kimberly. Class operation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No experience with Gracey, but I booked my tickets last week with Patrick at Travel With Guns. I've used one other outfit and talked to another, TWG is head and shoulders above in customer service - very happy with them so far.

Steve at TWG worked for Gracey for years. Then he started TWG. I've used both. Both are class outfits.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Hatari,

Have him contact me at bmarshallcollinscom.net Looking at a cancellation hunt, but still not sure its the best fit. 2 of us wanting to hunt. Thanks
Bruce

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.