Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My brothers kids from New York State. Oldest is a Senior at University of Tampa, holed up on campus in a state of the art building, this is a big party for them. Youngest is a Freshman somewhere or other, currently holed up in an old mansion belonging to the family of friend in Panama City Florida, well clear of the dry side of the eye, big party for them too.

Middle one is a Junior at Florida Tech in Melbourne Florida, East Coast, 150 miles north of Miami. Just recently arrived in Florida last month, transferred in from community college. Tonight he's in a hotel in Macon Georgia, can't stay past tonight. Tomorrow he is actually driving 150 miles south to a hotel in Valdosta Georgia.

The reason why he is driving south towards the storm is the f**king dickweeds at Florida Tech have put out that school will be open for business as usual on Tuesday mad and my nephew does not want to miss class.

OK, ASSUMING he has a full tank of gas in Valdosta Monday morning, what are the odds of him driving 300 miles back to Melbourne on Monday, Tuesday, or any day next week?

Serious question, I just found this out. He was supposed to head with a friend for North Carolina but he was worried about missing class.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 09/09/17.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hard saying not knowing.

Why go to college if not to miss classes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Missing a day or two of class in this situation is not going to hurt anything. No college in the age of safe spaces and triggers is going to penalize a student who was evacuated for a natural disaster.

------------------------
John
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
He did make it out of Florida; no small thing, only hotel room he could find online was Macon so he headed there.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why don't he head to PC? Thought I don't know where the storm is currently headed.

IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rest area to sleep, mobile w/running vehicle, couch surfing, etc.

What is the real dilemma here?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Just because the school want's to open Tuesday, doesn't mean it will. Irma will have something to say about those plans.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mike, sounds like that boy is about to get slapped up-side the head with a large dose of reality!

Prayers for his safety and well being sent.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why don't he head to PC? Thought I don't know where the storm is currently headed.

That was my suggestion, the thing is a professor told him first day of class he takes off points for absences, never said anything different when this latest situation came up.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by add
Rest area to sleep, mobile w/running vehicle, couch surfing, etc.

What is the real dilemma here?

For me and you, nothing. First time at bat for him.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

That was my suggestion, the thing is a professor told him first day of class he takes off points for absences, never said anything different when this latest situation came up.

The professor answers to someone, go there. I've gone over the 'heads' of a few professors in my time. Lots like to treat freshman like they're kids.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Mike, sounds like that boy is about to get slapped up-side the head with a large dose of reality!

Prayers for his safety and well being sent.

Tks, I'm thinking he's about to see more rain than he has ever seen, at least it'll be a warm enough rain that he can shower in it if he needs to.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Send soap! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

The professor answers to someone, go there. I've gone over the 'heads' of a few professors in my time. Lots like to treat freshman like they're kids.

The guy is gonna hear from me, my brother and probl'ly others. The other two nephews were told by their respective colleges (ROTC and Engineering at Tampa, I dunno the other) were told get somewhere safe, be back by Friday if you can.

FWIW the one in question is a Junior, potentially putting himself at some amount of risk over poorly thought out announcements.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 09/09/17.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

The guy is gonna hear from me, my brother and probl'ly others. The other two nephews were told by their respective colleges (ROTC and Engineering at Tampa, I dunno the other) were told get somewhere safe, be back by Friday if you can.

FWIW the one in question is a Junior, potentially putting himself at some amount of risk over poorly thought out announcements.

Look up the dean on Twitter or other social media where your concerns will be visible to a wide audience. It a news outlet picks up that kids are actually headed into danger because of the idiot professor, this will be fixed ASAP.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I know as well as anyone how forecast tracks move around, in fact my usual take is if you're directly in the path 48 hrs out, relax, it's going somewhere else. Be that as it may, the present consensus of the models is that the center of a big Cat 1 or Tropical Storm will pass not far west of or directly over Valdosta, GA around noontime on Monday, coming up from the south.

I'm pretty sure my nephew won't be driving back to Melbourne that day as planned.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

How many points? I'd be there if I could with a reasonable effort and not if I couldn't. Ask about extra credit if necessary. I took one class that the only class I showed up for was the final and did fine...but the professor wasn't a dogmatic prick.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that professor is pulling this in the face and full knowledge of Irma, then he will get his ass handed to him by more than just you. Even liberals baulk at that brand of dumbass.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thought I heard on the radio that the Gov (Scott?) ordered all schools, colleges, JUCOs, tech schools, etc. closed and to evacuate. Prof is full of it at this point.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thought I heard on the radio that the Gov (Scott?) ordered all schools, colleges, JUCOs, tech schools, etc. closed and to evacuate. Prof is full of it at this point.

He ordered them closed through Monday:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Today, Governor Rick Scott is directing all public K-12 schools, state colleges, state universities and state offices to close Friday, September 8 – Monday, September 11.

Governor Scott said, “Today, I am directing the closure of all public schools, state colleges, state universities and state offices for their normal activities effective Friday through Monday, to ensure we have every space available for sheltering and staging. Floridians are facing a life-threatening storm in Hurricane Irma, and every family must prepare to evacuate. Our state’s public schools serve a vital role in our communities as shelters for displaced residents and staging areas for hurricane recovery efforts. Closing public schools, state colleges, state universities and state offices will provide local and state emergency officials the flexibility necessary to support shelter and emergency response efforts.”

For detailed shelter information, visit www.fldoe.org/irma and www.floridadisaster.org/info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.